Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am sure I have seen posts from forum members stating they have an MX5

My wife has a convertible Vx Tigra 2008 - looking to change and have always liked the look of the MX's and heard they are reliable - Am I right in thinking someone here has one?

If so, anything I should look out on them - have been looking at the 2006 to 2008 model range - either the 1.8 or 2.0 engines.

Me - and I think there are others here too. They are excellent cars - be aware that 2005 - 2015 (ie Mk 3 'NC' cars) are very heavily Ford influenced. For a lot of good advice head over to the MX-5 club's website (mx5oc.co.uk and the forum you'll find linked there)

As ever with sports cars - the first generation (like mine!) are the best (IMHO!) but good ones are getting rare now. The NC model has an excellent reputation.

I was tech adviser on the club committee for several years and chairman back in 2010-2011 - been an avid MX-5 er for - jings - 17 years!

BTW - note the hyphen - very important - it's MX-5 !

Probably the things to look out for is RUST! Mazda suffers a lot from it but the MX-5 is especially prone. Check under the car, under the arches and specifically under the door and boot seals.

I traded mine against the LS, although mrs V drove it more than me, as I never really took to it, to be honest.

Don't let that put you off though, plenty of people love them.

As said, rust can affect them, mine had had sills done both sides, but typically japanese mechanicals compensate partly.

If you do get one, make sure you keep the drain holes clear on both sides, just behind the seats.

The owners club is excellent.

My Wife has one, MX-5 Mk2.5. Fantastic little car. We even went to Lake Annecy and Chamonix in it. Up in the mountains with the roof down ... it was utterly brilliant.

We have a Hard Top for the winter months (she's on now) and the Mohair for the summer. Avoid Vinyl roofs IMHO ... they tend to crack on the seems and last a lot less than Mohair.

Just about to start looking for a MY2010/11/12 to replace with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnatg said:

Me - and I think there are others here too. They are excellent cars - be aware that 2005 - 2015 (ie Mk 3 'NC' cars) are very heavily Ford influenced. For a lot of good advice head over to the MX-5 club's website (mx5oc.co.uk and the forum you'll find linked there)

As ever with sports cars - the first generation (like mine!) are the best (IMHO!) but good ones are getting rare now. The NC model has an excellent reputation.

I was tech adviser on the club committee for several years and chairman back in 2010-2011 - been an avid MX-5 er for - jings - 17 years!

BTW - note the hyphen - very important - it's MX-5 !

Thanks John ...just registered - I like the how to section - laid out well. Will have a good look through when the registration is complete. Spotted a few in Neston at 2006 to 2008 , seem clean at a reasonable price and mileage. Soft tops but have also seen a couple of hard tops.

4 hours ago, mikeyv said:

I traded mine against the LS, although mrs V drove it more than me, as I never really took to it, to be honest.

Don't let that put you off though, plenty of people love them.

As said, rust can affect them, mine had had sills done both sides, but typically japanese mechanicals compensate partly.

If you do get one, make sure you keep the drain holes clear on both sides, just behind the seats.

The owners club is excellent.

Surprised about the rust but I guess its made from metal !!

Mx5 is slow yet still fun and can be used as a daily driver. I believe the newer models are not quicker than the older models so would only buy a newer one if you want the looks. Yeah rust everywhere, mine had holes in the floor when I sold it. Basically would need welding work done every year. That was on a NB MK2.5 2003 model

Toyota MR2 MK3 Roadster, feels pretty quick, loves to be revved up and an awesome responsive drive. It's extremely reliable but it's not the greatest daily driver as no boot and tiny frunk space. It's surprising really good on fuel and certainly feels a step up from an Mx5. No signs of rust on my 2004 facelift model.

Warning MR2 will understeer extremely bad if it's pouring with rain, no weight on the front end means nothing with happen if you turn in too sharply just understeers. I know because I crashed mine on a sharp corner slid into a mud bank, bent passenger side front wheel back and popped my radiator.  Let me know if you want to buy a project mr2 ;) aha

Hi yes I have been an MX 5 fan for 15 years ,and currently have a year 2010 retractable hard top 2 litre ,They are great cars and very reliable.Rust is a major problem ,especially on the mk 2 and 2.5 ;sills wheel arches etc and always have a proper inspection underneath before parting with any money .Wheel alignment is important and fully adjustable ,our friend at wheels in motion is an expert on suspension and steering .The mark 3 ( 2006 on) has the Ford mechanicals ,which are very reliable as Mazda assembles them in Hiroshima,it does need a regular check on oil level ,as some poorly maintained units can ruin big ends . Go across to the owners forum ,and also there is a lot of technical advice on MX5 Nutz forum . I can post pictures  if it wont upset too many folk on here

Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links