Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MOT passed with one advisory

Hi everyone

That time of the year, I've has my LS400 for about a year now, have done almost 10,000 miles. Enjoyed every single one of them. The car has been completely trouble free. Apart from the major service which included timing belt, tensioners, coolant, spark plugs, water pump, Battery, a/c, air filter, cabin filter, break pads, new wiper blades new tyres when I first bought it, I've had the oil and filter changed once more. No other costs incurred. 

Booked it for an MOT on 25th Feb, it passed with one advisory "nearside front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt". 

Is this something I need to worry about?

Thanks for your advice. Tarun

• Like 1

I would assume that is the upper control arm ball joint dust cover, you have to replace the complete arm as the boots are not available alone.

As the joint is still intact I would leave it for now but look out for a replacement arm, you can get the cheap and nasty chinese made ones which have a dubious quality and lifespan or go for OEM which are around £500.00 each.

I found a new genuine  Lexus arm for mine a few years ago for £120.00 so worth scanning the likes of eBay occasionally.

All in all a good result with the MOT for you, timing belt going on mine today.

Congratulations, another year on the road for your LS400. All the costs you have spent so far could apply to owning any car... But I'd rather it be a v8 luxury cruise!

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Steve you may be wrong there and so when Warwick T gets up off the floor he may like to check out the thread "quality of non OEM parts".   I couldn't find the thread which mentions South Wales Propshafts where I got a replacement Gaitor for the one seen in the photo - price £11.34. Check their website for size variations.

I'm getting a lot of squeeking lately going very slowly over speedhumps, which I hope are not the UCA's bushes on these suppossedly quality UCA's I purchased from the States only a year back!

Nothing to worry about although I'd budget to replace it by the next MOT if doing lowish miles. 

Doesn't have to cost a fortune although getting quality at a good price takes time. I import from US if UK market doesn't deliver.

The thread that Stuart is referring to that includes South Wales propshafts is MOT Gloom started on 22 July 2015. It includes details of the relevant replacement rubber boot.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links