Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Y'all

I've noticed that during cold start days my engine turns over and ignites but instead of getting that lovely deep engine sound I get to hear something of a 'mess'. It only lasts for about one second. I liken the sound to when the engine has already been started and you try and turn the keys again to turn it over.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Leon

Normally on these engines, you will find that its coming from the hydraulic lifters on a cold morning. The oil is alot thicker in the cold so takes slightly longer for the oil pressure to build up.

I found that the noise was greater reduced by putting a quality filter on and also swapping to quality oil. (i started using Castrol edge and the noise went)

Dan

• Like 1

On 6 March 2016 at 3:31 PM, Mini-man said:

Normally on these engines, you will find that its coming from the hydraulic lifters on a cold morning. The oil is alot thicker in the cold so takes slightly longer for the oil pressure to build up.

The engine doesn't have hydraulic lifters.

• Like 2

In any event, it was serviced by Lexus. I was assured the correct oil and filters were used, even though it was serviced 3,600 miles  and over a year ago - I'm not a big miler.