Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power steering notchy when cold.

michaelca

When I first start my 2001 is200 from cold and turn the steering wheel from side to side, it is really notchy and jerky on the steering wheel.

I have checked the power steering fluid level and it is fine. I have also checked the drive belts and they are all tight as well.

There also seems to be a noise coming from the engine area at certain revs when first being driven, but once car has warmed up, 1 mile or so

the noise fades and goes away. I have check for any fault codes, but none are coming up.

I hope someone can help. Mike.

Hi. I checked all the belts and they were all tight. A friend of mine did mention that as I have had the car for 12 years and this belt has never been changed, it could have got worn and glazy and could be slipping. Mike.

• 1 month later...

Mine has the same problem.mine had a tell tale signs though because my steering pump pulley was wobbly. So I'm assuming bearing.works OK when warm. High pitched noise from it.yours may not be wonkey but still buggered. .(mine is not a case of rubber seals on pulley.the wheel pulls in and out.bloke before I had it liked doughnuts.probably buggered it)luckily I have a spare. So kinda saying sounds like your pumps knackered.could be bearing too or pressure problem.will continue to work as you know but i'd pick up a spare from the scrappy if you can find one.