Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So, I decided to attack the paint on my "new" IS250 today. After 8 hours, I was done with the paint. Wash, clay treatment, polish, glaze and then applied a sealer. In my arsenal I had :

1) Autoglym detailing spray and clay bar

2) Autoglym SRP

3) Poor Boys World White Diamond Show Glaze

4) Collinite 845

Some pics of the results below. The paint is pretty good shape for an 8 year old car........

With the flash on to show the pearl aspect of the paint

IMG_20160312_152900.jpg

The bootlid

IMG_20160312_152916.jpg

The money shot!

IMG_20160312_163417.jpg

And one of my IS200, just for fun :-)

IMG_20160312_102059.jpg

Tomorrow I will work on the inside of the IS250. Got some Sonax leather spray and some dash & vinyl cleaner.

Looking fine but just a word of advice:

1) SRP fills, cleans and masks and therefore using white diamond on top is not worth doing really.

2) Collinite 845 is solvent heavy i.e. its going to remove the fillers in the glaze and SRP :huh:

1 hour ago, HoodRich said:

Thanks Rayaan.  That is my recipe I have been using for years!  

:whistling1:

What do you suggest I use going forwad? 

Use either SRP or White diamond. They are both pretty much the same thing.  

The 845 would be OK if you are using the SRP or WD to polish the paint but if you're using them for filling it'll remove the fillers being solvent based 

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Rayaan. 

I always thought the SRP would fill light scuffs (which it did)  and that the White Diamond would give it a bit if a shine thereafter.  

I wish I had chatted to you before I undertook the job (by hand!)  as I am broken man this morning!  Hehe

I need to work on the IS200 as soon as my muscles are healed.....Will keep your advice in mind. Will only use White Diamond and 845 on the IS200 as it doesn't have any scuffs or scratches.  (I assume the White Diamond is less abrasive?) 

Took it out the garage to admire the fruits of my labour.......

This car looks good, if I may so so myself :wink3: Just has some road-rash on the front bumper (expected of a 8 year old car). Would like to respray the front bumper, but concerned about colour-matching.

IMG_20160313_120920.jpg

IMG_20160313_120949.jpg

IMG_20160313_121012.jpg

IMG_20160313_120959.jpg

IMG_20160313_120933.jpg

• Like 2

Indeed....that is the first "mod" on my list (well, after tinting the windows)

I want to get something "conservative" and paint it piano black like I did on my IS200. Will have to ship the stuff from eBay.co.uk or eBay.com, so its going to take a while to get here.

3 hours ago, HoodRich said:

This car looks good, if I may so so myself :wink3: Just has some road-rash on the front bumper (expected of a 8 year old car). Would like to respray the front bumper, but concerned about colour-matching.

IMG_20160313_120920.jpg

IMG_20160313_120949.jpg

IMG_20160313_121012.jpg

IMG_20160313_120959.jpg

IMG_20160313_120933.jpg

Looking good ... nice job.

You are right to be concerned about colour matching. Its a more complicated finish, achieved in layers. So matching is tricky. I'd like to do one bit but everyone I have seen so far says they would have to do the entire side .... and even they were concerned about the bumper wrap around. Yikes. And all caused by a moron in a Zafira at John Lewis at Christmas. Saw it as we came down the elevator, ran like hell out of the store .... gone!!

For now I'm doing it with my own repair kit over several months ... building and sinking back. Could do with some of that sun you have over there.

Thanks  Normski. 

The complex colour is the exact reason I ended respraying my entire is200. Previous owner had done some poor paintwork and it didn't look good.  I was hoping it wouldn't be as complex with the is250, but it seems you have just killed that hope.  Hehe

Wow that looks amazing - Love topics on detailing!

Guys, I have a black IS and have swirl marks. Any recommendations on the products I should use if I was to do it myself? (dont have a machine and will need products in order of use please :) )

I previously Washed, Clayed and then used Turtle Black Box all by hand but this looked only good for about a month!

Here's the pictures: 

Ishaq - your car looks great man. I love the look of a black car, but dont have the courage to own one.

Rayans might know better, but if you want to maintain the look and protection for longer, finish off your detail with Collinite 845. Its inexpensive and I find that it lasts very long. Been my sealant of choice for a few years now. 

Collinite 845 is fine for protection. Its one of the few "no BS" products out there

For swirls you'll need a pure polish but without machine these arent great.

So, by hand, you'll want to be looking for an All in One product which cleans and fills so Autoglym SRP and Britemax AIO Max are the ones to be looking at.

58 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Collinite 845 is fine for protection. Its one of the few "no BS" products out there

For swirls you'll need a pure polish but without machine these arent great.

So, by hand, you'll want to be looking for an All in One product which cleans and fills so Autoglym SRP and Britemax AIO Max are the ones to be looking at.

Thanks Rayaans. Now that the weather is getting better I will give it a go myself with hand as too scared to use a machine, have no clue what pads to use etc.

Every time I visit the detailingworld forum, i get lost with all the tech info and many reviews LOL.

Atleast by hand I wont cause that much damage!

So it will be either  Autoglym SRP or Britemax AIO Max (which ever on offer) and then finish off with  Collinite 845

On 16/03/2016 at 0:05 PM, Ishaq said:

Thanks Rayaans. Now that the weather is getting better I will give it a go myself with hand as too scared to use a machine, have no clue what pads to use etc.

Every time I visit the detailingworld forum, i get lost with all the tech info and many reviews LOL.

Atleast by hand I wont cause that much damage!

So it will be either  Autoglym SRP or Britemax AIO Max (which ever on offer) and then finish off with  Collinite 845

Sounds good. Nothing to worry about with a DA machine though. They stop spinning if you put too much pressure on it and you CAN'T cause any damage unless you physically wack it on the car. It's the orbital machines that cause damage

I use AG SRP with medium polishing pads on machine. Fills very well. 

If you do go round to the machine route, use sonax Perfect finish on a medium polishing pad. It'll get rid of all those swirls and leave the paint perfect! 

• Like 2

On 13/03/2016 at 10:51 AM, HoodRich said:

IMG_20160313_120920.jpg

IMG_20160313_120949.jpg

IMG_20160313_121012.jpg

IMG_20160313_120959.jpg

IMG_20160313_120933.jpg

Are you in South Africa mate, I can see by the sunshine, ahhh I miss it so, nice job  :)

• Like 1

Hi James,

Yes, I am in S.Africa ;-)  We recently had some really gloomy, wet weather for weeks on end. It was quite odd for this time of the year. The day I detailed my car was the first sunny day in a long time. (can see quite a bit of cloud cover in the last pic) But, thank goodness the sunshine is back this weekend. 

I spent some time in London last year......we had lots of wet days during the time I was there, but the place was beautiful nonetheless. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links