Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 F-Sport Build Thread

dougie175

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 7:03 PM, is200 Newbie said:

Nice job - I will be looking for a diffuser soon when I get my exhaust done - I have found one and just need to order (from the states) Is it quite flexible to fit the shapes of the bumper? Also you mentioned panel bond - could this be used to adhere the diffuser onto the bumper?

I was planning to get it sprayed up at a body shop and then stick it on. Would be nice to have the use of a garage like you have..

@ Robb

I have found a panel adhesive - Tiger Seal - apparently made for the job?

I am waiting for my diffuser to be delivered. Should have been here today but didn't arrive - guess it will be tomorrow? I have my exhaust on and happy with the job done - exhaust tips are due this week. I will more than likely need to widen the exhaust opening on the diffuser but have a question ... with the adhesive you used which I guess it pretty much the same stuff? can I, when I have made the opening wider, mould the edge of the diffuser that lines the exhaust opening with the adhesive and then shape to match the opposite side, can it be sanded down to give a good finish before painting?... or would you know of a filler that could be used to achieve the same effect. I will need to spend a bit of time moulding / sanding it which I don't mind.

15 hours ago, Vintagesixtysix said:

I hope you're utilising your body shop expertise and spraying the roof box to match..... after all that effort! ;-)))

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

I did think about this but then I realised how expensive roof boxes are and the resale value ruined by painting it. I may be colour coding the little arms that go inside the doors though to make them blend in nicely.

13 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

@ Robb

I am waiting for my diffuser to be delivered. Should have been here today but didn't arrive - guess it will be tomorrow? I have my exhaust on and happy with the job done - exhaust tips are due this week. I will more than likely need to widen the exhaust opening on the diffuser but have a question ... with the adhesive you used which I guess it pretty much the same stuff? can I, when I have made the opening wider, mould the edge of the diffuser that lines the exhaust opening with the adhesive and then shape to match the opposite side, can it be sanded down to give a good finish before painting?... or would you know of a filler that could be used to achieve the same effect. I will need to spend a bit of time moulding / sanding it which I don't mind.

Hi Mate

Tiger seal is very strong but a 1k sealer but no it is not a panel bond, I have used it for holding bits on before it is basically and windscreen sealer very strong polyurethane.

Tiger seal isn't able to do what you want however panel bond would be as it dries like plastic and can be sanded tiger seal wont really sand or fill the gap like you want

This is the type of thing you want

But the problem is getting a gun that you can apply the bond with, any mates in a top class bodyshop? Most back street garages wont have the gun either

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:38 PM, is200 Newbie said:

@ Robb

Received the diffuser today

Took longer to get through customs in the UK that it did to get here from the USA !!

Offered it up to the bumper and while it initially looks quite big it fits quite well, its quite rigid the one I have but I may heat it up a bit before getting it painted to see if it will mould better to the bumper to help in fitting it easier when it comes to it. Will need to adjust the exhaust exits on the diffuser (inner edges) which I had expected. There is enough room to do this on the diffuser as I only need to widen it by around 2 inches on each inner edge. The exhaust tips are coming tomorrow so I will get a proper idea of the fit from them. When offered up it was quite a good fit - not a lot of gaps but I am guessing when it does eventually go on there will be.

So thoughts are to, like you have, half paint it, have seen these on yours and a few USA IS models and it looks good. Was initially thinking like you have done and paint black in the gaps between the fins or was considering using a 3D carbon wrap in between. Wont do any harm to try the wrap if I get it painted anyway can always remove it if it does not look ok. The wrap should adhere better to the paint I think. 

I am also toying with the idea of adding a rigid plastic mesh between the fins (in cutouts). I have seen this on the later IS models in silver and it does look good.

I may ??? have a go at this as the new exhaust tips will fit well in the existing gap I made in the bumper with no need to hide any uneven gaps made as a result of fitting different boxes so if it doesn't work then i have not really lost anything but the cost of the diffuser...As a result of the cutouts to fit the mesh it will make the diffuser lighter and more flexible (might be possibly too flexible??) but thinking it would make it easier to fit? Not sure yet. Going to get a sample of the mesh first just to see what its like.

Picture below of a picture from the web, arrows indicating what I mean by the "gaps" in-between the fins and also of a black coloured rigid plastic mesh which has around 6mm mesh gaps. if I use this then I will have it painted silver or a smoked grey to match the wheels on the car. My car is the Cardaxion Slate colour (not the blue in the picture) Will need a strong glue if going ahead with this and also, thanks for the recommendations about the panel bond. The plastic mesh has been advertised as rigid but enough to bend / shape

Any thoughts...?

mesh diffuser1.jpg

mesh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, is200 Newbie said:

Received the diffuser today

Took longer to get through customs in the UK that it did to get here from the USA !!

Offered it up to the bumper and while it initially looks quite big it fits quite well, its quite rigid the one I have but I may heat it up a bit before getting it painted to see if it will mould better to the bumper to help in fitting it easier when it comes to it. Will need to adjust the exhaust exits on the diffuser (inner edges) which I had expected. There is enough room to do this on the diffuser as I only need to widen it by around 2 inches on each inner edge. The exhaust tips are coming tomorrow so I will get a proper idea of the fit from them. When offered up it was quite a good fit - not a lot of gaps but I am guessing when it does eventually go on there will be.

So thoughts are to, like you have, half paint it, have seen these on yours and a few USA IS models and it looks good. Was initially thinking like you have done and paint black in the gaps between the fins or was considering using a 3D carbon wrap in between. Wont do any harm to try the wrap if I get it painted anyway can always remove it if it does not look ok. The wrap should adhere better to the paint I think. 

I am also toying with the idea of adding a rigid plastic mesh between the fins (in cutouts). I have seen this on the later IS models in silver and it does look good.

I may ??? have a go at this as the new exhaust tips will fit well in the existing gap I made in the bumper with no need to hide any uneven gaps made as a result of fitting different boxes so if it doesn't work then i have not really lost anything but the cost of the diffuser...As a result of the cutouts to fit the mesh it will make the diffuser lighter and more flexible (might be possibly too flexible??) but thinking it would make it easier to fit? Not sure yet. Going to get a sample of the mesh first just to see what its like.

Picture below of a picture from the web, arrows indicating what I mean by the "gaps" in-between the fins and also of a black coloured rigid plastic mesh which has around 6mm mesh gaps. if I use this then I will have it painted silver or a smoked grey to match the wheels on the car. My car is the Cardaxion Slate colour (not the blue in the picture) Will need a strong glue if going ahead with this and also, thanks for the recommendations about the panel bond. The plastic mesh has been advertised as rigid but enough to bend / shape

Any thoughts...?

mesh diffuser1.jpg

mesh.jpg

Sorry mate totally missed this, I'm guessing it so long now you have moved forward with it anyway. How you getting on?

I love the idea of the mesh think that would look really different and modern!

Cutting the exhausts out should be a problem the hard part is getting a nice shape and making them look like they weren't cut out and they are supposed to be that shape from factory if you know what I mean.

If you haven't move forward with this let me know how you are getting on and I will try and offer any advice from whatever point you are up to now with it.

First update it a long time today.

I guess this is a sort of backwards modification, but I have stuck the winter boots on the Lexus ready for any snow and rough weather we may get this year, never had winter tyres before but I have only heard great things about them, especially these new Nokian WR D4's which seems almost too good to be true www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-wr-d4/

To go along with the new rubber I also had my original F-Sport alloys refurbished in Shadow Chrome, local guy did them at an unbelievable price for me, I really couldn't justify messing about doing them myself for what he charged me and he has done an amazing job so let him crack on.

What you guys think?

5970a6c585cf8_2016-11-1213_25_44.jpg.f29441fa534581d561787d6ec3aa7327.jpg

5970a6d522be4_2016-11-1213_25_50.jpg.6c7df9b9eae8ce53072402493875ce9b.jpg

5970a6e44ff16_2016-11-1213_25_57.jpg.3ceab6dba36c5b1cae91c254bfae643e.jpg

5970a6f4594e7_2016-11-1213_26_04.jpg.60935085e05a7a7f444223a65f9bf72f.jpg

Only thing that is bothering me now is how far inside the arches these wheels look compared to my 19's, I'm thinking a set of hubcentric spacers are maybe required to wider the track, not some much on the front but mainly on the rear where the wheels just look lost now the car is slightly lower than factory

5970a701dc056_2016-11-1213_26_13.jpg.6911e591e884c8bed36f315edf17cd04.jpg

5970a70f0310e_2016-11-1213_26_18.jpg.c3b2aef39ad50cf36fddb8c6c7dad25a.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone know if there is any issues with the original studs touching on the wheels as they poke through the spacers? 

I know sometimes with spacers you need to cut down the original studs to get everything flush but i couldn't afford to do this as the summer wheels would never go on with spacers and need the full length of studs.

• 5 months later...

First post in a long time had a baby girl who has been eating up all of my time... and money but decided to treat myself to a couple of new mods after putting my summer wheel back on last week

First up was these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152317406609?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT very cheap and possibly a little tacky, I'm not sure what do others think. From a few videos and pictures I have seen they look very good with the LED rear lights, they go half brightness as rear sidelights then full brightness as brake lights

Next up was a real treat which will take about 5 or 6 weeks to be made and arrives but cant wait! A flat bottom steering wheel http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252805705577?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT it will be custom made similar to the picture with blue stitching to match my f-sport gear knob and have a custom made recess in the bottom of the wheel where I will transfer over my F-Sport badge from my current steering wheel.

Will keep you all posted as a couple of mods take shape.

Only other thing I am looking at buying are these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331327157426?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT but I am not sure if they are a bit over the top? My biggest worry is starting to catch on speed bumps and such currently my car is low but I can use it like any stock car without catching or having any issues don't want to ruin that!

Opinions please gents. Thanks

• Like 1

Hey Robb,

Good to see you back.

You asked for opinions, so...:smile:

If I am honest, I am not a fan of the LED bumper reflectors.  Having said that, I can see how others might like it.

I agree with you regarding the front skirt.  I think it would look better as is, and I am not sure about the roads where you are, but it wouldn't last long around here! :smile:

The steering wheel looks interesting though.  I am looking forward to seeing it on the car with the stitching you mentioned.  I didn't even realise people did custom wheels for these cars.

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, Shahpor said:

Hey Robb,

Good to see you back.

You asked for opinions, so...:smile:

If I am honest, I am not a fan of the LED bumper reflectors.  Having said that, I can see how others might like it.

I agree with you regarding the front skirt.  I think it would look better as is, and I am not sure about the roads where you are, but it wouldn't last long around here! :smile:

The steering wheel looks interesting though.  I am looking forward to seeing it on the car with the stitching you mentioned.  I didn't even realise people did custom wheels for these cars.

Yeah I'm 50/50 on the reflectors, easy enough to revert if they look awful though.

The road in and around the lake district are not what you would call "good", taking out the worry of the roads do you think they look good? A few examples shown below

The steering wheel I know is going to work I'm really excited to get it think it will really lift the interior even further

8934197600_55ecc921d8_b.jpg.17d9e2543fdad5a64aa624078cb5514a.jpg

8920841980_c9af6803b7_b.jpg.db00bdadd2a7dfa658f66929bf9117cc.jpg

8920834096_cf11ef9705_b.jpg.794f8f37593afa783a8adc6be7641b89.jpg

20140502_164410_zps5d0439ed.jpg.9126804e561eabcd445712691b5344cc.jpg

10lexISR6-2.jpg.a746ef26ccf15243f1dc7c66792510f6.jpg

10lexISR6.jpg.fff10b3652cae59d612588e36b21a084.jpg

• Like 1

I'm sure the steering wheel will look and feel great. You constantly use it and the changes will be sat right in front of you.

Not sure about the LED's, will they loose the reflector and fail and MOT? I need to re-read the product description in the morning.

How much lower are your Meister's than OEM these days? How much height will these lips occupy? I do think they look good on a racey kinda way but i wouldn't want them to be impractical on a daily driver.

• Like 1

In all honesty mate, I would probably leave it because I would be worried it might appear a little 'fussy', if you know what I mean?

However, it certainly wouldn't look terrible, so I expect some other on here to say they think it would looks good.

Perhaps strangely, I think it looks better on the silver car, so perhaps it is colour dependant as well?

• Like 1

Nope, dont like the LED reflector brake lights - they're too blatantly aftermarket! Stick out like a sore thumb really.

The steering wheel on the other hand looks good and is a suitable modification. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Farqui said:

I'm sure the steering wheel will look and feel great. You constantly use it and the changes will be sat right in front of you.

Not sure about the LED's, will they loose the reflector and fail and MOT? I need to re-read the product description in the morning.

How much lower are your Meister's than OEM these days? How much height will these lips occupy? I do think they look good on a racey kinda way but i wouldn't want them to be impractical on a daily driver.

No MOT issues as far as I am aware they are just reflectors when not illuminated they are essentially just reflectors with small red leds hidden in them

I have no idea how much lower than OEM I am to be honest I just set it to a level that I thought looked good they don't occupy much height by the looks more how much it sticks forward an inch or 2 at the front of the car further away from the wheels.

They are quite similar to what VW fit as standard on the MK7 Golf GTi

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shahpor said:

In all honesty mate, I would probably leave it because I would be worried it might appear a little 'fussy', if you know what I mean?

However, it certainly wouldn't look terrible, so I expect some other on here to say they think it would looks good.

Perhaps strangely, I think it looks better on the silver car, so perhaps it is colour dependant as well?

That is strange as I feel it looks wrong on the silver car but I like it on the blue car lol I know what you mean about being fussy the front bumper currently has a nice finish don't want it to look like this is just slapped on to make it look lower

2 hours ago, juicestop said:

Reflector lights are tacky, steering wheel ok, lip/skirts state MY11-13 only. The compatibility checker states that yours (MY10) is incompatible.

I wouldn't worry too much about eBay compatibility a model could have been released in the US in 2011 but in the UK 2009 and such, Ive made things that don't fit, fit before hehe

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

I was going to fit them reflectors on my old 250, returned them to the seller in the end. A sure way to destroy the Lexus IMO.

Im guessing when you saw them in person they didn't look up too much, should have them today or tomorrow, have a feeling they may not be going on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links