Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Average MPG average for CT 200h

KCRL

Hi

I bought a CT 200h in January and I'm not even getting up to 40 mpg. I've got the car in Eco mode and it's all short journeys around town. The average speed is 13 miles an hour which is indicative of the types of journeys. 

Is is there something else I should be doing to increase the mpg? 

Thanks

Your journeys sound to be much like mine, of very short duration with the car hardly warming up. It is the worse case scenario for any car, even hybrids especially in cold weather. In fact it would be even worse for a diesel which takes even longer to warm up. My MPG in my CT over a 4.5 year period was 44.3. In winter I was often in the high 30's or low 40's, but come summer I could get to high 40's and even 50+. It varies so much. Currently in my new NX I am getting 32mpg, well below the average, but that will get to high 30's in warmer weather. I bet if you do a longer trip on 'A' and 'B' roads you would see a big improvement. 

My wife's, delivery 11/2/16, is running at 46.2mpg.

She does mainly short journeys but there is a some motorway in there, notably at weekends.

My own recommendation is to stick with NORMAL, except when specifically stop-starting in traffic (only use ECO then). My sense is that the strain of acceleration in regular driving in ECO actually costs you mpg.

I find the same, out of interest, with my IS300h.

By the way, your mpg will pick up in the summer. My IS typically averages 45mpg in winter but hits 50mpg in summer. You'll also find it slightly increases with time - I'm actually sitting at an unusually high 54mpg this month, so Spring is serving me well!

OK... I have done a brim to brim check over the last week.  My motoring is approx. 5% motorway, 5-10% town driving and the balance A roads. I used about three quarters of a tank and did exactly 249 miles.  I mostly leave the car in ECO mode, and only use normal mode when I'm approaching a hill and need a little extra acceleration. I only use the sports mode when I am joining the M4 and need to get up to motorway speed in a few seconds, then go back to ECO mode.  I used 24.50 litres which equates to 5.39 gallons so the brim to brim 'real life' figure works out at 46.20 MPG.  The car computer, on the other hand shows average consumption to be 48.9 MPG so there's a difference there.  Perhaps I'm not properly understanding how the computer arrives at that figure....

Now for an 1800cc automatic petrol car 46.20 is good, but that economy is easily bettered by diesels - a family member runs a Mercedes C220 auto diesel which gives a true figure of  53.2 MPG and much better all round performance than my CT200h.  I'm a bit disappointed in truth so I will give PaulWhitt20 and Ian J Parsley's advice a go and try a couple of weeks running mostly on Normal mode and see where I go from there.

Rob

On board computer is optimistic to approximately the same degree as the speedometer. I have a scan gauge 2 plugged into my OBD socket and receive a live stream as I drive. I also have a garmin satnav plugged in too. The scan gauge would typically read 56 mph , the sat nav would read 56mph and the speedo would read 60 mph. If the car computer uses the speedo reading to calculate the fuel consumption, this would explain why the fuel consumption figures on the car computer are just as inaccurate as the speedo.

The car does in fact know its true speed because the OBD data scan device tells me 56mph when the car speedo says 60 mph. Furthermore, the mileage of the car is recorded accurately from the OBD data source since when I travel at 60 miles per hour ( as shown on the data scan and the sat nav) the speedo mileometer registers one mile per minute. Our Prius was the same.

I even went so far as to check the mileometer over a stretch of 16 km using the motorway marker posts which are set accurately at 100metres apart. There was a little bit of mathematics but at the end of it all, the milometer was showing 9.95 miles ( it changed to 10 just a few metres after the 16km post) which is very close to 9.94194 miles calculated ( less than 1% error). 

The reason for having an optimistic speedo built into the car is so that the manufacturer can avoid being cited as being the cause of speeding offences. Toyota/Lexus aren't the only ones who do this, I think that they all do this to some extent. The most accurate speedoo I have come across is the one in my wifes BMW  Mini which has a speedo which reads 60 while the datascan and sat nav read 59.

I guess that the software writers could have easily selected the more accurate figure with which to calculate the fuel consumption on the Lexus and the Prius but perhaps the lure of some reputation gain associated with artificially high MPG figures was just too much of a temptation.

I once encountered a jibe about being an "interesting person" to know due to my interest in getting to the bottom of engineering issues such as this. I'm not an overly interesting person to know but I'm not going to spend my money on something (LexusCT200) which I don't know how it works and then bleat pointlessly about it not working. I am just an engineer and not a lion taming accountant with "John Snow" levels of comprehension.

To date I have discovered that absolutely EVERYTHING must be ideal in order to achieve the manufacturers figures..but they are achievable.

To achieve manufacturers figures, one has to drive under ideal circumstances for at least 30 miles.

average speed 30mph

no stops

no overtaking

ambient temperature of 24C

no wind or tail wind

eco tyres pumped up to about 39psi

no ac

windows closed

no sunshine ( because the solar gain will temp you to either ruin aerodynamics by opening a window or you will switch on the air conditioner)

no excess weight. (no shopping, cases,passengers)

smooth roads

no rain

no sharp corners

pulse and glide technique

anticipation of potential causes of braking which would not entail recycling power back into the traction Battery

very little traffic.

I exceeded the figures once by following lorries which were restricted to 40mph with absolutely no chance of overtaking ( so I got a little bit of slip stream affect), It was late at night and I had to keep the windows shut because of the smog being belched out by the lorries. I wasn't in much of a rush because I was returning from a call out and I as being paid travel time anyway. Having done that, I managed to stay patient on my subsequent journeys to continue with that tankful in order to equal the published figure over the tankful. Driving was tedious and wearysome but at least it wasn't me holding anyone up due to the speed of the lorries along that particular route.

12 hours ago, Beau Nidle said:

OK... I have done a brim to brim check over the last week.  My motoring is approx. 5% motorway, 5-10% town driving and the balance A roads. I used about three quarters of a tank and did exactly 249 miles.  I mostly leave the car in ECO mode, and only use normal mode when I'm approaching a hill and need a little extra acceleration. I only use the sports mode when I am joining the M4 and need to get up to motorway speed in a few seconds, then go back to ECO mode.  I used 24.50 litres which equates to 5.39 gallons so the brim to brim 'real life' figure works out at 46.20 MPG.  The car computer, on the other hand shows average consumption to be 48.9 MPG so there's a difference there.  Perhaps I'm not properly understanding how the computer arrives at that figure....

Now for an 1800cc automatic petrol car 46.20 is good, but that economy is easily bettered by diesels - a family member runs a Mercedes C220 auto diesel which gives a true figure of  53.2 MPG and much better all round performance than my CT200h.  I'm a bit disappointed in truth so I will give PaulWhitt20 and Ian J Parsley's advice a go and try a couple of weeks running mostly on Normal mode and see where I go from there.

Rob

Leave the car in normal and it should get better. Comparing the CT to the C220 CDI is daft. You don't know what kind of driving is going on in that car. If it's sitting near a motorway it'll be getting 50mpg easy. It's just as daft as comparing your mpg to other members mpg. For example, my wife gets 30mpg in the IS. Other members get 45-50+ mpg. It's all down to personal driving style, acceleration, braking and trip duration as well as engine temperature,  fuel quality etc etc etc. Too many variables to take ino account but my gut feeling tells me that 53.2mpg is impossible in a C220 CDI unless it's sitting at a constant 60-70mph 90% of the time 

I know because I had one! It goes to 27-33mpg when driving in town. 

With your driving if you got a diesel youd be worrying about DPF issues down the line. DPF got clogged twice on my C220 CDI along with other issues.

Also considering the C220 CDI sounds like a tractor, it's not exactly a luxurious experience, it's a rep mobile built only for high mileages

I do a daily school run which is about 10miles return. Mix of 30 mile and 50mile zone roads. I get about 53mpg average.

I found that you have to adapt your driving style when driving a hybrid. I found this YouTube video a great help to learn how to change the driving style. 

Definitely stick to Normal mode like others have said. After 7k miles my average is 56-57 mpg but in fairness I am not in city driving every day, mostly A and B roads and a short commute. I never use Eco and very rarely bother with Sport mode. The acceleration is good enough for most overtaking.

Even at 60mph the car will happily keep to around the same mpg. The art is in avoiding acceleration unless it is unavoidable! I also use cruise control as much as possible even on A roads. I suppose I could do better if I really tried but I wouldn't have any fun.

if i had found that video or any video like it i definately wouldn't of bought a hybrid

it makes driving a hybrid sound like its soo difficult,just drive it how you where

taught to drive when approaching stationary traffic ease off the accelerator

and dont so speed starts but isn't that just common sence if you floor it you will

use more fuel.

i feel the hybrid system is very intelliegent and always strives to get the best out of the car

i have the is300h on the motorway i drive at 70mph if i want to overtake i put my foot down

i let the motors slow me down and always let the motors get me moving again

yet this winter my lowest mpg is 46.5 and last summer i would get 52mpg 'ish.

Also worth remembering is that where you live will have a huge impact on the MPG. Im in Yorkshire, hills galore, going up the hills use a lot of engine power and motors wont take it up on its own so my MPG suffers alot because of it.

Where you live and your personal driving conditions are definitely the important factor. I've trialled Eco and normal, and for me, the normal non-holiday commute warrants Eco. The less congested Easter commute, normal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I questioned the mpg on here and at my dealer when I purchased my car last year as it was advertised to do a better mpg than the Prius I had previously. 

I have found that up to 40mph the Eco mode is best, above that just use normal. If you are trying to achieve you PB mpg don't use sport at all!

I drive about 230 miles to work on a Sunday returning on a Friday so the majority of my driving is motorway, recently I have been driving without using cruise control and have been achieving around 8mpg more than with it on. 

Travelling at an average of 80 mph I can easily achieve 51 mpg whereas with cruise control on I'm achieving 42/43 mpg

I have had my new CT200h sport for two weeks.

600 miles so far.

I love it, currently getting 53 mpg with mixed town, village and dual carriageway driving.

Most have been done in normal mode with the occasional ECO to see how it affects the car.

I haven't bothered with the sport mode yet.

I use cruise control a lot so I will check what affect not using it has on MPG.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Capitalmagpie said:

I have had my new CT200h sport for two weeks.

600 miles so far.

I love it, currently getting 53 mpg with mixed town, village and dual carriageway driving.

Most have been done in normal mode with the occasional ECO to see how it affects the car.

I haven't bothered with the sport mode yet.

I use cruise control a lot so I will check what affect not using it has on MPG.

Thanks

Sorry, you've purchased a CT200h Sport and not tried the sports mode yet.........what's wrong with you??? 🤔

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mandon75 said:

Sorry, you've purchased a CT200h Sport and not tried the sports mode yet.........what's wrong with you??? 🤔

Lol

I bought it because I liked the Black Wheels and I wanted a sunroof.

I will try the Sports mode at the appropriate time  .................. :wheelchair:.:yes: :wheelchair:

• Like 1

Had my 2014 CT200h Advance a week and so far in about 300 miles the trip says 55.4mpg. Did a good motorway run today which was surprisingly good and actually brough the average up despite travelling at 70 for much of it. 

Here I am concerned with getting my PB on fuel economy and I've just had Yokohama E70J fitted to my car, recommended tyre for the CT from my dealer and it has an E rating on rolling resistance/ fuel efficiency  🙈🙈🙈

i always used  dunlop sport maxx rt 215/45/17 tyres as they have the following ratings :-

c - fuel economy

a - wet braking

67dB - road noise

they aren't the cheapest tyre around but they had the best ratings

I rarely use ECO mode and stay in normal mode.When i use Sport mode its for overtaking,motorway etc.I found using ECO used to cripple the mpg as more throttle is required as stated previously.Short journeys in the cold will have a big impact on mpg.Roll on the warmer weather.

the reason that why mpg for ct is so low i think is because that there are toooooooo many hills in the UK. every time I have to push the panel harder.....which takes more petrol, at least this happens in Brighton. 

• Like 1

I record the mileage every time I fill up for expense purposes, and the graph below is monthly average fuel consumption.  

My journey to work is the same every day, and I drive about 16K miles a year. It's mainly country roads, with lots of junctions so lots of braking/accelerating. 

It's interesting to see the summer/winter fluctuation.

Fuel Eff.jpg

• Like 1

Nice graph. It confirms what I found, about 8-10 mpg difference from winter to summer. So from now on you should get over 50 mpg for about 5 months. :)