Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheels

Balthane

Hi gang. I need some advice please. I have a 2002 Is200 and the alloys are getting a bit ratty so I would like to do something to help the appearance of the car. I would pefer not to go down the full refurb route if possible in view of high costs and the car being off the road for some days. I thought about adding wheel trims but can't seem to find any that will fit alloys. I was also thinking of getting rid of the alloys altogether and replacing them with steel wheels and some trims. alloys are great until they are damaged and then I think they are just a pain. I have no mechanical skill or knowledge but the car has done about 68k so I expect to keep it until it drops or I do. Any thoughts or comments will be gratefully received

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

A good refurb will cost around £50.00 a wheel and some companies will loan you a set of wheels while the job is being done.

Never seen steel wheels for a Lexus but the same stud pattern is used by other Japanese makes so may be available but do you really want steel wheels and plastic trims on a Lexus?

You could try the likes of eBay for a decent secondhand set of alloys but bear in mind if they are just rims there will be costs involved fitting either your own or new tyres.

Search "Refurbing Aero Alloy Wheels" on the forum. I posted this when I had the dreaded corroded wheels on my 200. Came out very good. Theres no reason you cant do these one at a time. Should take you a weekend to do the 4 as long as you get all the bits required first ... and remember to do the spare.

• 2 weeks later...

You could refurbish your wheels fairly cheap if you DIY, just need sandpaper, filler, 2 primer cans, 2 paint and 1 laquer. You could do it for under 50 quid easy.

What will you do about your current tyres? It wouldn't be worth paying to have the tyres swapped over to new wheels if you're trying to save money.

I can understand if you don't have time to DIY refurb your wheels. Look on eBay for 5x114 wheels with tyres, I picked up a used set of 17s with tyres them on for £70 the other week :) You want them to have a 60.1 center bore to sit on the hub correctly or a higher center bore because you can use a spigot ring to adapt the center of the wheel down.

I imagine steel wheels would be pretty heavy and affect your mpg maybe. Also if you have a taller tyre sidewall profile then it makes it nearly impossible to kerb your wheels 

• 2 weeks later...

there are loads of wheels for the Lexus new or second hand and please don't put steel wheels on a Lexus, that a real no no..... If you are going to keep it for a while then a refurb will be worth it.

Thank you for the advice Andy and thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I have had my IS200 for over 5 years and am generally very pleased with it. Without doubt the best car I have owned in the last 40 years and I am very fond of it. It is my plan that in view of its age and low resale value (similar to myself) to keep it until it or I fall to pieces so have arranged for the wheels to be refurbed. My only objection to alloys is that if I damage one (which I have done) then the necessary repair is much more expensive than just changing a trim. It is also a longer process the former taking at least a day and the latter a few minutes. Anyway the Lexus wheels will be fixed later this month and has just be valeted so it will look as good as ever.

You are welcome, I am very much the same I had my first driving lesson 45 years ago yesterday and my IS is the best car I have ever had despite its age. But I have done quite a lot to it (have a look at my profile and have had a piggyback ECU to set the turbo up so it now gives 260bhp). I have bigger wheels and tyres and like you intend to keep the car until I or it falls apart, it has only done 73k so hopefully neither of us will anytime soon...... I guess I feel the Lexus is such a luxury marque I could never run steel wheels on it no matter what, it deserves a bit more. I love the fact that mine is a bit of a sleeper and no one thinks a "granddad" in an old Lexus is going to leave them standing so its great fun!

Enjoy your car.

Feb 16 (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I refurbished my wheels, but it does take a lot of time and effort, in total it took my a month as I am not very into bodywork etc. 

In Birmingham there is a place that will do your wheels £20 - £30 a wheel depending on what you want done which is a steal!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links