Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sorry for twittering on about this 460 lads....but I was so so suprised and dissapointed with this car......but no....no accidents...,

ten thousand miles ....one owner....all Lexus dealer history.....I bought 5 new tyres almost immedietly .... the same as fitted standard to the 600H....thought they must be the

best and quietest perhaps for the Hybrid ?... Bridgestone Turanza's .....and still the steering was very vague indeed.

The cruise control was wonderful on the 400....used it all the time...but the 460 used radar scanning and would brake up the car for you in various situations...very disconcerting.

I sold the 460 after a year or so ... and bought a fantastic car to drive that I could jump my two Hounds into the back....a 2013 VW Touareg V8 Diesel.....5 thousand miles.

but that was the most unreliable car I have ever owned.

I look for my old car every day on eBay.....P939 UHR.

Anyway....I will say no more....I do sincerely hope all the 460 lads on here are enjoying their cars....it was simply not the car I hoped for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moriwaki said:

The cruise control was wonderful on the 400....used it all the time...but the 460 used radar scanning and would brake up the car for you in various situations...very disconcerting.

I assume you can turn off the radar function on the LS like you can on my GS. Sometimes you don't want it on.

40 minutes ago, moriwaki said:

Sorry for twittering on about this 460 lads....but I was so so suprised and dissapointed with this car......but no....no accidents...,

ten thousand miles ....one owner....all Lexus dealer history.....I bought 5 new tyres almost immedietly .... the same as fitted standard to the 600H....thought they must be the

best and quietest perhaps for the Hybrid ?... Bridgestone Turanza's .....and still the steering was very vague indeed.

I sold the 460 after a year or so ... and bought a fantastic car to drive that I could jump my two Hounds into the back....a 2013 VW Touareg V8 Diesel.....5 thousand miles.

but that was the most unreliable car I have ever owned.

I look for my old car every day on ebay.....P939 UHR.

Anyway....I will say no more....I do sincerely hope all the 460 lads on here are enjoying their cars....it was simply not the car I hoped for.

Maybe you should change your profile pic if you hated the 460 so much lol.... 

• Like 1

yeah you dont have to have the radar cruise on, you can use it as just regular cruise control

I do agree with needing a long test drive... I went to view my LS460 twice... and spent over 4 hours in total driving/looking around it

Thanks Mark....I had checked the history....and it was worrying to say the least....but I live in hope. :sad:

And Dale....forgot to say....please enjoy your 460 .... apologies for my ramblings..... on your post.:w00t:

P1030679.JPG

P939UHR  ..............  it might of course have just been exported ...............  and finding a superb use in Accra or somewhere !

Malc

That's a lovely looking car and well done on the purchase. I do have some recognition oh what Moriwaki said, I had a LS460 for a day a while back as I was planning to swap my LS400 - the noise and the ride did shock me, it felt nowhere as refined as the LS400 and I put this down to the 19 inch wheels and the tyres - seems from other comments that changing the tyres will help but I just found it to be not what I was expecting for something newer with far less miles. In terms of loss, it beat my LS hands down - it looked terrific on my drive but I could not go ahead because it just didn't feel right. Hopefully it will turn out well for you and keep us informed as you get to know the car better. 

• Like 1

I thought there was a safety switch on the LS 400 that DID allow the boot to open - I thought, having experienced the same problem, that I'd rembered this?

460. Do you find getting in not as easy as Ser 4 400? The angle of the A pillar is steeper and catches the head. Unless it's me and my big head!

Car looks lovely.

16 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

Do you find getting in not as easy as Ser 4 400? The angle of the A pillar is steeper and catches the head. Unless it's me and my big head!

a little bit yeah, but i think thats because im trying to be extra carefull with not marking the leather:laugh:

impressions so far:

-it feels alot bigger than the ls400

-i think the ls400 engine is quieter in certain situations...

-certain roads the ls460 road/tyre noise is quieter... others the ls400 is...

-overall cabin noise, the ls460 is quieter

- the brakes are good... standard vs standard the ls460 are better.... my ls400 with drilled/grooved discs and EBC yellowstuff pads are better than the ls460 though..

- i do like the radar cruise control, but it seems i can only set the cruise in 5mph increments, the ls400 was 1mph increments, which i prefered!

-alot of the sat nav/dvd functions are locked out whilst driving... i can understand the dvd part, but not the sat nav, thats a bit annoying, I think theres a way around it though by buying a gadget/box from the usa, so ill look into that more

-the sound system is just simply amazing, better than the ls400 (which was also amazing!)

-it gets alot of attention!

-I love the adjustable air suspension, my favourite mode, has to be comfort mode

-Im getting a GENUINE 26mpg, thats calculated from myself after brimming the tank ( the on board computer states 23 mpg), thats a mixture of driving... my ls400 would get 19mpg on LPG

-Its an amazing car to look at inside/out

just a few brief thoughts so far :)

On 03/04/2016 at 6:22 PM, The-Acre said:

The thing to remember is Doc Martin had one, and he doesn't like anything, but if he didn't complain about his 460 it MUST be good!!

He's not real, you know! (-:

And my experience of taking an LS 400 to Cornwall is......it's far too big for many of the roads there!

I've been looking at a Saab 9-5 XWD 2.8, but seeing these pics (and knowing the quality!) reminds me....there's no contest!

I love the Saab ethos, but then, I love the Lexus ethos as well.

(Saying all this, I'm unlikely to get another big car. Eyes on a Smart Forfour 1.5 Auto!)

.......... big cars ........  have any of you guys been alongside a new shaped mini and felt a little overwhelmed by it's size and presence, intimidating the Lexus Ls400 !

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Skelton said:

He's not real, you know! (-:

And my experience of taking an LS 400 to Cornwall is......it's far too big for many of the roads there!

Don't be silly of course he's real, I've been past his house in Port Isaac, and seen his face on mugs in the gift shop. What I don't understand is how they got an LS up and down that road, standing there it just didn't seem wide enough.

1 hour ago, Chris Skelton said:

I've been looking at a Saab 9-5 XWD 2.8, but seeing these pics (and knowing the quality!) reminds me....there's no contest!

(Saying all this, I'm unlikely to get another big car. Eyes on a Smart Forfour 1.5 Auto!)

Why not another big engined car Chris? Is your annual mileage high?

11 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

I considered a Saab but reading about the many electrical problems put me off. In the end I went for the Volvo V70 facelift model, best car I've ever owned.  When we drive down to Cornwall it'll always be in the Volvo rather than the Lexus, and the 50 mpg helps!

Volvo's are very nice cars, well built, comfortable and safe (a bit like my Mk4 LS400), but they have never won a global record 14 JD Power reliability surveys. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I had a Volvo 240 - so many issues, would never have another one I am afraid.

Once bitten as they say.

I suppose its the same with any car, you can always get a duffer that puts you off for life. I've had 240's 740's and 940's and all have been faultless.  I paid a lot for my current one to get very low mileage and full main dealer history, I know its no guarantee but a good starting point. The good thing is that after driving the Lexus the Volvo doesn't feel like the second pressing of the grape, in fact in many ways its equal, and dare I say it, better, but different.  Even though the Lexus is 15 years old, driving it makes you feel like you should own half of Knightsbridge, driving the Volvo makes you feel like you should own what you have, a 1930's semi and a Labrador, except mine is a greyhound!

• Like 2

On 05/04/2016 at 10:51 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

Why not another big engined car Chris? Is your annual mileage high?

No; mileage quite low. It's just having less 'need' for a big car - except the habit/emotional pull. I always had a 'treat' car. First big Citroens, then (after brief fling with a BMW 850-V-12!!) 2 LSs. Last car was a Nissan Elgrand van! (15 months ago since lottery winners bought it from me!).

It's the dilemma of economy versus indulgence? (If a nice low mile lpg Ser 4 appears......temptation! One DID 2 years ago, but needed too much work)

Setting the adaptive cruise - yes, the lever only flicks the speed in 5mph increments, but you can set any integer speed from 29mph upwards by driving at that speed then switching it on.   The plus side is that it is easier to match changing speed limits - 40mph to 60mph is just 4 clicks, and 40mph to 30mph just two the other way (with the car braking automatically to reduce the speed immediately).   You can use conventional cruise control without the radar, and that does let you do 1mph clicks - but with the radar, sensitive readjustment isn't really needed as your car matches the speed of the car in front.

: o )