Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After i managed to view a GS450H whilst i was working away last week, i still really liked the car, i have come to the conclusion that the boot space is just about adequate for me and my direct family once my son is a stroller.  But it appears my mother in law wheel chair would be a squeeze.  So now considering a GS300 or IS250 and there are a couple for sale in my price range and within the distance i willing to travel.  The main reason i am now considering a IS250 is that i have found a couple IS250 F-sports with around 30k miles on the clock for a reasonable price and i really enjoyed my old IS200.  The GS300 is 3 years older and with 60K miles on the clock for half the price.

I have been doing a some research into them both, even though MPG is not make or break issue as i have had enough of my diesel, i have read that some GS300 owners have managed to get 40+ MPG from the 3L V6 what i think is brilliant for such an engine.  I get that in my boring diesel Passat.  I am now just wondering what MPG others are getting and the type of trips they use the car for.  For example at the moment in my Passat usual cover's around 600 miles to a tank, with my daily drive to work being 10 miles, what 9 out the 10 being on Minor single carriage way A roads doing 50 and 60 mph, the other mile is stop start crawling and my weekend driving is very mixed, but mostly city driving i manage to get 40+ mpg to a tank.

I averaged about 31 mpg on my IS250, you might do a little better if your A roads are a nice steady pace, (depending how much you sit in town at the weekend)

Be interested to hear what a mk3 GS300 owner would think, my old MK2 would have been 5 mpg less I'm sure.

52 minutes ago, stevet said:

Have a look at the GS250. You can get them at a good price.

I would love a 4th Gen GS, but with a quick search on auto trader there is only 1 within my budget.

1 hour ago, mkbean said:

I averaged about 31 mpg on my IS250, you might do a little better if your A roads are a nice steady pace, (depending how much you sit in town at the weekend)

Be interested to hear what a mk3 GS300 owner would think, my old MK2 would have been 5 mpg less I'm sure.

They are fairly steady, i have a nice relaxing cruise into work most days.  The worst part is the 1st mile on the way and the last mile on the way home, which is a crawl.

I don't know if newer models of the 300 V6 have improved MPG, but I never got anything like 40. In fact my 2000 430 consumes pretty much what the 300 did. Currently I average (mixed driving) about 22 but on long runs this shoots up. Did a 360 mile round trip a few weeks ago and got 34.

hth

24 minutes ago, IanA2 said:

I don't know if newer models of the 300 V6 have improved MPG, but I never got anything like 40. In fact my 2000 430 consumes pretty much what the 300 did. Currently I average (mixed driving) about 22 but on long runs this shoots up. Did a 360 mile round trip a few weeks ago and got 34.

hth

I was surprised when i found these figures myself, one of the threads online about achieving 40+ is off theIS forum and from the sounds of it the trip was a full on motor way journey.  

I have a mk3 gs300 I was getting 42mpg driving to London from Birmingham. I almost hit 45mpg on the way back. Local driving I get around 22 or 23.mpg. it's direct injection so good on fuel too but that's never bothered me to be honest. I always use v power she'll fuel and never go near supermarket fuel

• 4 weeks later...

My daily is a 2000 plate GS300, 17 mile each way commute, bendy A roads, bypasses and roundabouts I get a consistent 22 -23 mpg

Drive like a ***** and in in the high teen MPG.

Drive a long journey mainly motorways and i get high 20's to early 30s.

1 hour ago, CustomIce said:

My daily is a 2000 plate GS300, 17 mile each way commute, bendy A roads, bypasses and roundabouts I get a consistent 22 -23 mpg

Drive like a ***** and in in the high teen MPG.

Drive a long journey mainly motorways and i get high 20's to early 30s.

Yep, that's pretty much what I used to get in my 300 ('98) and I get pretty much the same now in my 430 ('00).

My 2006 GS300 averages 27-30mpg urban and 36-38mpg motorway. I have had it up to 41mpg motorway by tickling the throttle and using cruise control for all 50/60/70 mph stretches.

The best I have done in my 2006 GS300 is 43mpg while keeping between 70-80 mph for most of the journey. This was all on the motorway, on a clear run. It is very doable but hard work. I have to constantly monitor my current mpg's and how hard I press on the throttle. Going uphill in particular is a task. It really takes some of the fun out of driving, I would much prefer to enjoy the car and get 37mpg.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just gone up from the IS220D (same car as IS250, except the engine), to the GS300 (2006), and they're just totally different class of a car. GS300 is much better in my opinion (but then it would be, I have, after all, just bought one!). It feels closer to something like a Bentley than a 5 series, whereas the IS has much more of a 3 Series feel - sporty chassis, quite underpowered (although the IS250/GS300 have almost the same power), good equipment level.

If I was you, I'd try to hunt down a GS300-L, it has pretty much all of the optional equipment (incl. Satnav and Mark Levison sound system), and majority of them come with a sunroof.

MPG wise, most I ever got was around 45 MPG, all motorway, 180 mile journey. But this was at 55 mph average. At around 75 mph, I get 40-42 MPG. This is cruise control all the way of course, and very little in terms of overtaking (no need to when you drive at 9pm!).

City is much worse, having just modified the exhaust, I like it to grawl - resultant is 17-20 MPG tank average! haha. if you drive like a granny, you may get high 20s, low 30s. But you should expect around 20-25 city if you drive normally.

I find Lexus are usually pretty realistically rated - what it is rated as, you will usually get (within +/- 5%) if you drive calm.

The combined I never look at, as it is wildly dependent on your journey composition. Majority of people almost never do motorway journeys, so they shouldn't even look at mixed rating.

• 1 month later...

Just travelled from Scotland to Sussex (M74, M6, M40, A34, M3, M27), topped the tank up on the motorway and reached 43mpg at 75-80 including some traffic standstill sections of the journey.

image.jpeg