Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This is a follow on from my previous thread.

Basically the problem is that my 1999 Mk4 starts up and runs perfectly from cold, but as soon as the engine gets warm it miss-fires like mad and eventually the engine stops. It will not start again until the engine has got cold, at which point it will start up and run normally again until it gets warm once more when the same thing happens.

In the previous thread we were discussing OBD codes, in the hope that they might help me to diagnose the problem.  Thank you Brian (Titch LS) for your advice.

My problem now is that the normal method of accessing these codes is to link the E1 and the TE1 terminals in the diagnostic socket under the bonnet, and then to read the codes from the flashing lights on the dash. Unfortunately  the diagnostic socket on my car does not have an electrical connection in the TE1 position, although it does have the E1 connector.

In fact out of the possible twenty pins on my socket, only five have any connectors in them. These are E1, B+, AB, Tc, and Ts. There is also a jumper between pins WA & WB.  I have attached a photo, and you can see the five connectors.

So my question this time is can I in any way access the OBD1 error codes without having the proper scanner, in the hope that I might be able to solve the problem with the car myself, or should I just give it up and get the car transported to the local Lexus dealer.

Many thanks for any advice.

Picture 001.jpg

John, it's a pity you're not close to Japex Automotive in Hertfordshire. They would sort you out guaranteed, if you could get your car there. They would not charge anywhere near as much as a Lexus dealership would either. A trip too far, or not?

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll talk to OVE but realistically I suppose I'll have to try and get the AA to transport the car to Lexus Oxford and bite the bullet on the cost. I will ask them if they will take it to Japex for me but its three times as far so I doubt that they will do so. Many thanks again.

• Like 1