Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Worn leather seats.

Yes i know the photo is sideways, but i can't see how to rotate it!

Anyway yes i am, on my fourth drivers leather seat cover and second passenger one.  They have all worn in the same place, even the load IS300h with only 2000 miles on the clock was starting to show signs of wear.  Lexus Wolverhampton change them no problem as the car is still under warranty, but surely this is an issue that Lexus should be addressing.

IMG_0023.JPG

4 hours ago, Wallace said:

Anyway yes i am, on my fourth drivers leather seat cover and second passenger one.  They have all worn in the same place, even the load IS300h with only 2000 miles on the clock was starting to show signs of wear.  Lexus Wolverhampton change them no problem as the car is still under warranty, but surely this is an issue that Lexus should be addressing.

IMG_0023.JPG

Got the same problem on the drivers seat, but not quite as bad as yours. I've recently bought some touch up dye but as Lexus are replacing them under warranty, I'll see what they say in a couple of months when it goes in for a service.

Question for the forum, does anyone get a noise from the front brakes, especially if facing downhill and slowly creeping forwards. I get quite a loud creaking/groaning even though the pads, discs and calliper so have been cleaned and lubricated.

I've got the ivory leather there is no noticeable wear,  but the base bolsters are creasing badly,  it seems the leathers is to loose,  I have taken it took the dealers and they "ironed " the leather!   Which has helped the appearance initially but is now creasing again.   Apparently this is tsb issue! ! Anyone else  suffering from this?

Thats normal wear and tear - Theyre doing you a huge favour just by changing it. You are essentially rubbing excessively on the seat bolster when getting in and out.

Leather does stretch and also, the bolster will be getting this kind of wear. My wife has 11k on her IS, it gets used day in and day out for regular very short trips and its also the F-Sport so has bigger bolsters. Very little wear - almost brand new apart from creasing which is normal

Lexus use very soft leather and as a result you get this - you wont get this problem with cheap Dakota BMW leather as its so tough but you definitely will with their Merino leather which is higher quality.

38 minutes ago, wh05apk said:

I've got the ivory leather there is no noticeable wear,  but the base bolsters are creasing badly,  it seems the leathers is to loose,  I have taken it took the dealers and they "ironed " the leather!   Which has helped the appearance initially but is now creasing again.   Apparently this is tsb issue! ! Anyone else  suffering from this?

Thats completely normal, its the part that people sit on when getting out of the car so will crease. Look at any car with genuine leather and it will have this.

My RX is pretty bad. Its not the leather being too loose, its usually the foam that has flattened. Completely normal.

The F-Sport seats wear quite well due to their injection foam system but AFAIK the other grades dont get this

1 hour ago, C Mclean said:

Question for the forum, does anyone get a noise from the front brakes, especially if facing downhill and slowly creeping forwards. I get quite a loud creaking/groaning even though the pads, discs and calliper so have been cleaned and lubricated.

I have the dreaded brake grunt but from the back. Lexus dealer said it was normal!  I am tempted to take the pads out myself and copper grease them. My dealer is not particularly helpful and a bit useless.

Ed:yes:

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'm a newbie here . Bought IS300h in June ( 64 plate ) with cream leather seats . Within a week a terrible scuff on the passenger seat . Was gobsmacked , had. Jag XF prior to Lexus and never had this problem once in 4 plus years .had it repaired at Lexus for £85 . Now I have a similar scuff on drivers seat . The leather is too soft and not resistant . I have soft leather sofas that are still  good after 4 Years of use , including dog jumping on it . This is not right . Can I demand new seat cover ? . Still under warranty until next June 2017 

On 05/04/2016 at 2:34 PM, Wallace said:

IMG_0023.JPG

Could I take this issue up with any Lexus dealer or would it have to be the dealer you bought it from ? Bought mine 2,years old from NW london , only had a it a few months , had two really bad scuffs on front seats already . My nearest dealer is in Canterbury, 35 mins away . Any advice on how you got yours replaced or repaired would be very appreciated. 

The Dealer you bought it from must be the Party to which you refer the matter initially

15 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

Could I take this issue up with any Lexus dealer or would it have to be the dealer you bought it from ? Bought mine 2,years old from NW london , only had a it a few months , had two really bad scuffs on front seats already . My nearest dealer is in Canterbury, 35 mins away . Any advice on how you got yours replaced or repaired would be very appreciated. 

As a matter of interest ,ask the Dealer whether the leather is Artificial or Natural.There has been much debate on Mercedes Forums Howard concerning the poor durability of Atificial (Artico) compared to Natural (Nappa).

Regards

John

30 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

The Dealer you bought it from must be the Party to which you refer the matter initially

As a matter of interest ,ask the Dealer whether the leather is Artificial or Natural.There has been much debate on Mercedes Forums Howard concerning the poor durability of Atificial (Artico) compared to Natural (Nappa).

Regards

John

Hi John , thanks for the quick reply . I have spoken to Lexus customer service direct and they say I should take it to my local Lexus dealer ( thankfully ) and take it up with them . If I get no joy with them , they said to get back in touch with Lexus customer service and they will look into it . I will ask next time in the garage if it is real leather . I know the Germans use a kind of composite of leather , tough as elephant hide . I once had a Merc 450 SL and the seats were MB tex , I thought it was leather but found out it was really a vinyl?!!! . 

36 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

Hi John , thanks for the quick reply . I have spoken to Lexus customer service direct and they say I should take it to my local Lexus dealer ( thankfully ) and take it up with them . If I get no joy with them , they said to get back in touch with Lexus customer service and they will look into it . I will ask next time in the garage if it is real leather . I know the Germans use a kind of composite of leather , tough as elephant hide . I once had a Merc 450 SL and the seats were MB tex , I thought it was leather but found out it was really a vinyl?!!! . 

Yes Howard, I think it was called MBTex or something similar. The leather (and it is real leather) in my E220CDI remains perfect after 13 years and 214,000 miles.

I would take what the garage may say with a pinch of salt and instead spend time researching Sales Literature for some kind of wording or phraseology which might lead the unsuspecting reader to believe that leather is natural leather.(Just a thought).

Good luck in your efforts to secure replacements.

Regards

John

9 hours ago, Dealkent said:

Hi, I'm a newbie here . Bought IS300h in June ( 64 plate ) with cream leather seats . Within a week a terrible scuff on the passenger seat . Was gobsmacked , had. Jag XF prior to Lexus and never had this problem once in 4 plus years .had it repaired at Lexus for £85 . Now I have a similar scuff on drivers seat . The leather is too soft and not resistant . I have soft leather sofas that are still  good after 4 Years of use , including dog jumping on it . This is not right . Can I demand new seat cover ? . Still under warranty until next June 2017 

Unfortunately it would be classed as wear and tear I believe UNLESS it's been previously repaired

The leather on Lexus vehicles is natural and very soft. The quality of the hide is very good hence why it's delicate.

Dont know about you but I thought the jaguar XF leather was fake? it feels like plastic. 

Should also note that you need to take care of leather especially when it's cream

7 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Sure I read somewhere the Americans get artificial leather as standard, only genuine leather interiors as an upgrade, or only on the flagship models?

Yh America gets Nuluxe artificial leather. We get natural leather 

Mercedes are using artico which is vinyl and bmw use dakota leather which is real but highly processed hence feels rough and textured as a result.

BMW merino is more on par with Lexus leather and let me tell you, they are a PITA to keep looking good 

On 4/5/2016 at 7:21 PM, C Mclean said:

Got the same problem on the drivers seat, but not quite as bad as yours. I've recently bought some touch up dye but as Lexus are replacing them under warranty, I'll see what they say in a couple of months when it goes in for a service.

+1. Been cleaned and lubricated on two different occasions, but the noise still remains along with a metallic knocking noise - it's normal for a £28k+ car apparently.

On 4/5/2016 at 8:57 PM, capese21 said:

I have the dreaded brake grunt but from the back. Lexus dealer said it was normal!  I am tempted to take the pads out myself and copper grease them. My dealer is not particularly helpful and a bit useless.

Ed:yes:

+1. My dealer can be useless at times, my car has been in their workshop since Monday for a service and to sort the electric memory seats out - they always call me to tell me that it's ready for collection but they still haven't serviced it.

On 05/04/2016 at 2:34 PM, Wallace said:

IMG_0023.JPG

On 05/04/2016 at 7:21 PM, C Mclean said:

Hi , can you please confirm you have actually had t leather seat covers replaced ? And under warranty ? . Are you sure they didn't just repair the marks etc ? . Thanks 

15 hours ago, rayaans said:

Unfortunately it would be classed as wear and tear I believe UNLESS it's been previously repaired

The leather on Lexus vehicles is natural and very soft. The quality of the hide is very good hence why it's delicate.

Dont know about you but I thought the jaguar XF leather was fake? it feels like plastic. 

Should also note that you need to take care of leather especially when it's cream

The leather feels good quality , but it's not practical. I cannot get in/ out of the car without marking the seats ! . And I am not a big person . Jaguar have 2 levels of leather , one is harder more like what Audis , BMWs use , mine was the softer premium level which still didn't  mark or scuff or tear . We put large items on the back seat . Big TV , no problem, dog jumps from seat to seat , no problem , getting in and out wearing big coats etc , no problem . Never had an issue with leather seats as I am experiencing with this one , you only have to touch them and they mark .i also use leather cleaner and cream to protect the leathers but has made difference to Lexus seats . Real shame , because I Ilke the look of them . 

32 minutes ago, C Mclean said:

I ended up trading the IS for an NX a few weeks after the posting. Now got a black interior..

After buying my IS 300 h , I did I wonder about the NX . Had not looked at them before , went Tom showroom with intention of buying an IS . Are you pleased with it ? How does it compare ? Fuel consumption? . 

1 hour ago, Dealkent said:

Hi , can you please confirm you have actually had t leather seat covers replaced ? And under warranty ? . Are you sure they didn't just repair the marks etc ? . Thanks 

Yes I took the car to Lexus Wolverhampton and they ordered a new drivers seat cover under warranty. I am now on my third drivers and second passanger seat cover, I think sort of lost count.  The passanger seat is showing signs of wear on the bolster side, I don't think it's "normal wear". Perhaps you should move to Wolverhampton!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links