Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New SC430 owner

needmorecharge

Hi All,

Thought id say hello. After wanting a 430 since I first seen one back in 2001 I finally purchased a low miles low owner 2002 in Platinum Ice with black leather. I drove the 200 mile trip home yesterday still pinching myself that I've finally got one. I really wanted a 6 speed facelift one but couldn't justify to the Mrs the price especially as it's purely a weekend and nice weather toy. 

The car has a few little niggles. Bodywork and interior are both in factory showroom condition but the drivers side wing mirror doesn't fold in or move up or down. Left and right, it's fine. The cruise control isn't working and it needs the front speakers repaired or replaced. All jobs for a sunny day or two.

I have a quick question on the wheels.the car came with aftermarket 18" wheels which are in mint condition but I noticed the rear tyres are 275/40/18 and the fronts are 245/40/18. Are the factory ones bigger at the back or is this a modification? I have ordered a set of facelift factory ones which I prefer and collecting tomorrow.

Here are the current wheels that will be going tomorrow.

Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks very nice indeed.

The standard tyres are 245 40 18 front and rear on 8 inch width rims but it's quite common to have after market 'staggered' alloys to allow wider tyres on the back for better traction. I have 245 35 19 front and 285 30 19 rear. The wheels are 19 x 8.5 front and 19 x 9.5 rear. Some owners fit even wider wheels.

The 6 speed is definitely an improvement but the 5 speed is essentially the same car so I wouldn't be too concerned.

2 hours ago, Neil E said:

That looks very nice indeed.

The standard tyres are 245 40 18 front and rear on 8 inch width rims but it's quite common to have after market 'staggered' alloys to allow wider tyres on the back for better traction. I have 245 35 19 front and 285 30 19 rear. The wheels are 19 x 8.5 front and 19 x 9.5 rear. Some owners fit even wider wheels.

The 6 speed is definitely an improvement but the 5 speed is essentially the same car so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Thanks, yes it's in extremely great condition and very well looked after by its previous owners. 

I've never been what you might call a "sports car" enthusiast but that would certainly change if I was offered an SC430.  There are a couple in my area and I always admire them, so much nicer than those German things in my opinion.  And presumably it has the same marvelous engine as the LS430? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

I've never been what you might call a "sports car" enthusiast but that would certainly change if I was offered an SC430.  There are a couple in my area and I always admire them, so much nicer than those German things in my opinion.  And presumably it has the same marvelous engine as the LS430? 

Yes it does have the same lovely, 3UZ-FE 4.3 V8 as the LS430 with a similar suspension set up to the GS430

IMG_81304.jpg

You see, now you've made me want one even more!  So does it also have the same transmission cooling system that us LS430 owners are all too aware of, and were they all auto? And if the LS430 is capable of 0-60 in 6.7, what's the official figure for these?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

You see, now you've made me want one even more!  So does it also have the same transmission cooling system that us LS430 owners are all too aware of, and were they all auto? And if the LS430 is capable of 0-60 in 6.7, what's the official figure for these?

They are all auto (5 and later 6 speed) but I'm not aware of any issues with transmission cooling. Isn't that limited to the early model LS? I think my 0-60 is perhaps sub 6 seconds with around 300 bhp but I believe 6 - 6.2 with a good launch would be about normal. I'll add some general pictures of mine to the PPE headers thread to see if you might be tempted further. Perhaps you've seen it in Sussex.

27 minutes ago, Neil E said:
58 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

They are all auto (5 and later 6 speed) but I'm not aware of any issues with transmission cooling. Isn't that limited to the early model LS? I think my 0-60 is perhaps sub 6 seconds with around 300 bhp but I believe 6 - 6.2 with a good launch would be about normal. I'll add some general pictures of mine to the PPE headers thread to see if you might be tempted further. Perhaps you've seen it in Sussex.

Interestingly I see more of them here than any other Lexus, apart from the IS that is.

Sussex must be an SC hot spot. There aren't that many in the country. I usually see fellow SC owners when I'm in the RX.

When I had 2 Soarers I also so other Soarers when I was in a GS430 or the LS430 it just always seemed to be that way.:smile:

Like you I've just bought an SC430 being my second Lexus. Indeed, also extremely pleased so far and everything on mine does seem to be working fully. The tyres are indeed as stated 245/40/18 and it's good to know that fatter can be fitted to the rear.

I have been trying to find on eBay a spare wheel tyre as I'm not too happy at not having one of those baby spares.

I don't want to carry a spare about, but I like the idea of having one or perhaps a pair of stock at home in the garage in case of need. The only stock wheels that I have seen are USA based. The cost of the same in the UK probably explain why so many change them for aftermarket wheels. 

There must be somewhere UK that I can buy the odd spare wheel/tyre with so many owners changing there car's look and obviously those SC430s that go to the car graveyard?

• 7 months later...

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, michaelH said:

Lexus Leicester had about four of them for sale when I was there about two weeks ago. I was surprised to see them asking over £20k for one of them.

I rather like the blue 55 plate they have for sale but at 15k it's out of my price range :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links