Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres

KDS

My 2014 Premier has just had its 2 year service at 17000 miles.  Advised the fronts are down to 3.2 MM. and should be changed before next service.  I run 16's for ride and now that I'm about to go off the factory brand does anyone have any suggestion of which to go for next?  Should I put new on the back move the backs to front so I get rid of the factory's all round soonest? Would welcome suggestions please. 

Ive always thought rotating tyres was bad practice. The reason for this is because you'll end up putting good tyres to the front (the tyres with most tread should always be at the rear to avoid oversteer). Also having 2 tyres on 8mm and 2 on 4-5mm is better than having 2 tyres at 3.2mm and 2 at 4-5mm.

Im presuming your tyres are 205/55 r16? If so you have a lot of options:

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 in 205/55 r16 91V for around £42 + fitting

Dunlop Sport Bluresponse in 205/55 r16 91W for £48 + fitting

Goodyear EfficientGrip Perofrmance in 205/55 r16 91W £47.50 + fitting

You wont really be disappointed with either. The Dunlops and Goodyears and quieter than the Uniroyals with a better fuel efficiency rating. Depends on your budget and what you're after

Thanks for this - is there any knowledge with continentals - Eco contact I think where I've seen comments about quiet running.  I'm not price sensitive 

2 hours ago, KDS said:

Thanks for this - is there any knowledge with continentals - Eco contact I think where I've seen comments about quiet running.  I'm not price sensitive 

Personally dont rate anything Continental. They don't offer anything the others dont and are usually more expensive than other tyres for no real justifiable reason

I am going for "goodyear efficient grip performance". They are A rated for rolling resistance and A rate for wet weather braking. I have just about worn out the previous set of "goodyear efficient grip" ( note that I didnt write performance because these are actually a different tyre which is about 2 year older technology but was A and C rated) The wear rate for them was comparable to the OE bridgstones IE about 30,000 miles. I do rotate tyres so that they all get worn out at the same time and I end up with 4 matched tyres. I suppose that Rayanns might have a point about oversteer,however in my limited experience I have only ever experienced annoying factory set understeer on front wheel drive cars. I did used to get my rear wheel drive cars into oversteer on occasions but that was just through having a screw loose somewhere in the grey matter! While I have the wheels off, it gives me a chance to check the discs, pads, steering balljoints, suspension units,  wheel bearings and so in my case, rotating the wheels  in order to keep the tyre wear ballanced serves more than one function. However. given the choice, I would always choose not to run the tyres down to the point where they would aquaplane. I normally change the tyres at 3mm and routinely increase the gap to the car in front in rainy conditions just in case of hitting a patch of sheet flood ( often found on motorways)- even new tyres will aquaplane when driver through enough water.

• Like 1

Really appreciate all this useful feedback from everyone.  Thank you.  I will have achieved nothing close to 30k when they need changing.  As I originally posted The car is in for service right now at two years and has done about 17.000 miles.  At least the replacement of the 16's is not as pricey as 17's

I would second Michelin Cross Climate, fantastic tyres and incredibly quiet. Don't tear around the roads so tyre wear not evident yet however reports on wear seem very positive. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 4:22 PM, KDS said:

Old post I know but I am new..and nosey...:wink3:....I think 16" wheels are the perfect choice,i removed 17" and fitted15" on my Prius for a better ride...these were fitted with  Continental - Eco contact and they were very quiet with excellent roadholding too. My previous Mercs C/ E-Class were fitted with continentals which were excellent and long lasting,when I have changed tyres I have always had Conti fitted as they have never been a problem with good wear and r/holding ...I am that confident in them I also fitted a new pair to my Goldwing motorcycle a few years ago...but..each to their own..as they say...:wink3:

i used to have the dunlop sport maxx rt tyres as they where realy quiet good wet braking & fuel economy

i now have the cross climates only because i got 4 cc tyres and 2 years of 4 way wheel alignment for less than £290

they are quiet but not as quiet as the dunlop sport maxx rt's,both are good tyres.

your decision will be down to personal preference

• Like 1

I have had 4 of the Dunlop sport rt2s fitted and I can't believe the transformation. Would highly recommend for quietness, grip, but can't comment on wear yet. 

• Like 1

from my rt's i had about 3mm of tread left after about 17000 miles they only had 7mm tread new

they do seem to wear quickly at the start but the wear rate slows down,dunlop told me this as i thought

they where wearing too quickly ,i wouldn't hesitate to have them again on any car in the future.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stompe said:

I have had 4 of the Dunlop sport rt2s fitted and I can't believe the transformation. Would highly recommend for quietness, grip, but can't comment on wear yet. 

15 hours ago, 200h said:

from my rt's i had about 3mm of tread left after about 17000 miles they only had 7mm tread new

they do seem to wear quickly at the start but the wear rate slows down,dunlop told me this as i thought

they where wearing too quickly ,i wouldn't hesitate to have them again on any car in the future.

Excellent info from both...My CT is fitted with YOKOHAMA  ...but the car is not quite 6 months old yet so have to wait to see how they wear....:smile:

i have just got shot of the oem Yokohama's i only needed 2 tyres but replaced all as they are so noisy,not very fuel efficient

just what you dont want from a lexus hybrid.

By the way if you are having tyres fitted,I would not recommend Blackcircles premier garages as I had a four of mine fitted and they scratched three of the wheels.

Hi ,I have had a generally good experience with black circles  the fitting garage had a separate form detailing any wheel damage noted and inpected at the start and finish ,which I signed ;I presume this was passed on after the event .What did supprise me was that mine where fitted by ATS who claimed they could not better the price I paid .I would contact black circles with a view to  negotiating some compensation as the tyres were fitted by their approved agent

Dave

As always the best thing to do to minimize the possibility of wheel scratches is to get the tyre fitter to inspect the wheel beforehand.

Then, agree that the wheels are without any scratches before getting the tyres fitted. Therefore, they can't wriggle out of it and can't claim that "they were already there"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

As always the best thing to do to minimize the possibility of wheel scratches is to get the tyre fitter to inspect the wheel beforehand.

Then, agree that the wheels are without any scratches before getting the tyres fitted. Therefore, they can't wriggle out of it and can't claim that "they were already there"

That's a great piece of advice...when I have taken my car in for a service I ask someone from the service department to come out side and take look at the car "can you see any scratches etc " I ask,"no " they reply.."well that's how I want it back then" I say...:smile:

If I am sure of there being loss or damage sustained during servicing or work( such as tyre fitting) of any other kind on our cars, I normally find that a polite letter to the service manager or the manufacturers head office does the trick. In the case of my wifes BMW mini, such a letter resulted in a telephoned and then a written apology, all damage repaired and a £200 Marks and Spencer gift voucher.

18 hours ago, Wass said:

If I am sure of there being loss or damage sustained during servicing or work( such as tyre fitting) of any other kind on our cars, I normally find that a polite letter to the service manager or the manufacturers head office does the trick. In the case of my wifes BMW mini, such a letter resulted in a telephoned and then a written apology, all damage repaired and a £200 Marks and Spencer gift voucher.

Must have been a decent dealer. Most will just say "it was already there, you can't prove it wasnt already there, therefore we didn't cause it"

On 7/6/2016 at 1:43 PM, rayaans said:

Must have been a decent dealer. Most will just say "it was already there, you can't prove it wasnt already there, therefore we didn't cause it"

A dealer who once said something similar to that got a short sharp shock from his head office when I reminded them of the profit they just lost out on the purchase of a new car when I switched to another manufacturer on the strength of their excellence of service.

19 minutes ago, Wass said:

A dealer who once said something similar to that got a short sharp shock from his head office when I reminded them of the profit they just lost out on the purchase of a new car when I switched to another manufacturer on the strength of their excellence of service.

Don't think many dealers care much about losing profits from one person as they'll reel some punter in for everyone that goes especially if they're german

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rayaans said:

Don't think many dealers care much about losing profits from one person as they'll reel some punter in for everyone that goes especially if they're german

I think it depends on individual employee in the dealership.. there are some total d***s. At the same time there are great people as well.

I can definitely say I was not impressed with Lexus Woodford, but it doesn't mean all Lexus dealerships are the same or even all the staff in particular dealership are the same. Same goes for other makes..