Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello All,

Just did pre-service (at Halfords) of the pre-MOT pre-service. Few advisory items come up - rear brakes pads 8mm, one parking light bulb and failed 12v battery. No surprises there, knew that Battery is not in best condition already - just nice to find out why.

So the report says that Battery failed, performance 0%, the cells shot and short, voltage - 10.29v. Funny enough as car is garaged both at home and where I work I have no issues with Battery. Furthermore, it is Halfords own Battery (some kind of Platinum with 4 years warranty) and Halfords doesn't want to fulfill their obligation to replace it under warranty. To be fair I don't have a receipt, but the Battery is made only 2,5 years ago and fitted just over 2 years ago, quite obviously within the warranty. That said I decided not to replace it until it completely fails.

However, already doing some research for the day of failure. My personal opinion is that Battery is bit under powered for car with so much gadgets and especially mine being SEL just drains even more power, obviously living in UK have its own benefits e.g. no cold winters, so even cheap batteries last (or at least should).

Based on all the information I though that I might go for Exide or Bosch. Cannot say much bad about Halfords, especially considering that it doesn't develop much issues even in such condition, but it is principal for me now not to get one from them, because I feel like their warranty is rather unfair .. Any other opinions or suggestions? Thanks in advance,

Hi Linas

Firstly, if the Battery is still under warranty you should get Halfrauds to replace it. If that was me I'd insist on it and threaten a small claims court action if they still refuse, especially if you have proof of the Battery age, the 4 year warranty given, and if it was recommended by them as a replacement for your previous Battery.

If you don't want to do that then I'd recommend the Bosch S4, which is what I have replaced the Panasonic oem with 6 months ago. It comes with a 4 year warranty, just make sure you get the correct + and - post placement, see the link below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Battery-Type-Manufacturers-Warranty/dp/B005XVUGUA

I'll second the Bosch S4. Had one in my old car and it performed well, plus that 4 year warranty as mentioned.

Or what about a genuine Battery from Lexus? No idea how long the guarantee is on one of them but pricing is fairly competitive at £95, plus I guess they will also fit it for you (not that changing a Battery is difficult).

Thanks for all replies,

Bosch is definitely on my list. Has anyone tried Exide? I was quoted £143 for OE replacement at Lexus Woodford, not sure where the price of £95 comes? Anyway I though that for same price (or actually less) I can get really good Battery - especially, as I consider OE a bit underpowered.

Well The proof of age is on the Battery - it was manufactured only 2,5 years ago, so no way older than 4. The problem is that I don't know where the receipt is, so small claims court won't help. The Halfords Service said that Battery was sold by Halfords Retail, so they won't honour the warranty and the retail store probably won't take it without receipt anyway.

Myself - I will probably keep it as it is, as I have so far not experienced any issues. Just had "fun time" running out of fuel last week (as couldn't believe it, I gave few tries before picking up fuel can and going on foot to petrol station) - the Battery gave at least 5 long cranks and another one after refuelling - no issues at all. Now wondering maybe they exaggerated the Battery status a bit?!.

As well I have checked on OBD and it seems all ok when Battery is connected, as well when engine is running, didn't attempt to check Battery itself.

8 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I was quoted £143 for OE replacement at Lexus Woodford, not sure where the price of £95 comes? Anyway I though that for same price (or actually less) I can get really good battery - especially, as I consider OE a bit underpowered.

http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/#ServicingYourLexus

The Battery is one of the parts available at a reduced cost for cars 5+ years old. I believe those prices should be fixed, regardless of dealership.

Thank for link, I have visited the page but missed the price for the Battery. Lexus Woodford is a bit strange place - I put in service booking online for Minor Service and MOT and asked for some other parts prices like Battery.

Online and in my information e-mail it states £159+£49 making total of £208. When they called me to confirm the reservation, they not only didn't know what I am booked for, nor my number plate, nor name or any other details (not very professional the least). After giving all than information + VIN number they quoted £195 for Minor Service and £54.99 for MOT - that is where I have disagreed and said that the price is incorrect. The lady called me back later to say they can't find the price (I have quoted) in Lexus website (have no clue which website they were looking at), but they will honor the quote if I bring it with me. 

So you are right - "it should be", but they quoted £143 over the phone. As I have not checked the price on the website I haven't pointed it out over the phone. I believe I can get them to do it for £95 after all, just by quoting the price from main website and "bringing evidence with me". Though, for £95 I will probably go for Bosch (or Exide).

I'd also endorse the Bosch S4026 - I have had it for more than 3 years. Comes with a 4 year guarantee - there's probably a S5 version - 5 year guarantee.

Whichever you get, insist on a type 068 - most places you just call in to won't stock it - it's a rare size/configuration. They'll try and fob you off with something else which will fit but not quite right.

(Batteries come in a range of standard sizes, defined by a 3 digit code. eg 063 is very popular and sort of 'standard' - we need a 068 (and different for diesels).

I guess that is 5 for Bosch S4. Not surprised as it is premium brand to match premium car :) Sadly, no opinions on Exide - I though it could get it up to fight as equal contender.

I am aware I need 068, with 069 being identical size but opposite terminal sides. Will be getting Bosch (maybe S4) - when fraudfords Battery going to give it's last breath. The problem is - it seem like Bosch doesn't make S5 in 068 size, so I guess I am left with S4 option. 

It is actually funny - Bosch US have same batteries, but one number up - S6 AGM, S5 and S4, while UK counterpart site has S5 AGM, S4 and S3. Based on UK description - S3 for small or older cars, S4 for medium modern cars, S5 for cars with high energy demand e.g. start-stop function etc. While IS250 is not start/stop car S5 sounds like upgrade, S4 sounds like "just right". Based on the price I guess that maybe Lexus Woodford was (not) about to fit S5 for £143 to me.

Thanks for all replies

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2016 at 9:01 AM, J Henderson said:

I'll second the Bosch S4. Had one in my old car and it performed well, plus that 4 year warranty as mentioned.

Or what about a genuine battery from Lexus? No idea how long the guarantee is on one of them but pricing is fairly competitive at £95, plus I guess they will also fit it for you (not that changing a battery is difficult).

Lexus Twickenham will fit it for you, for a cost of 140+vat.. LOL I guess I'm going for the Bosch and DIY :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChilasPT said:

And Lexus Battersea will do it for 95 with vat and labour! cheaper than getting one myself and fitting it :)

Not really, got mine for £71 - http://www.autopointcarparts.co.uk/index.php/bosch-blue-068-battery-s4026.html

Funny enough, first ordered it form: https://www.tayna.co.uk/S4-026-Bosch-Car-Battery-Type-068-S4026-P9711.html with code "FACEBOOK45" for £79.95, then realised there are cheaper ones around and Tayna has price match guarantee, but they declined to match it and I cancelled the order with them.

23 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Not really, got mine for £71 - http://www.autopointcarparts.co.uk/index.php/bosch-blue-068-battery-s4026.html

Funny enough, first ordered it form: https://www.tayna.co.uk/S4-026-Bosch-Car-Battery-Type-068-S4026-P9711.html with code "FACEBOOK45" for £79.95, then realised there are cheaper ones around and Tayna has price match guarantee, but they declined to match it and I cancelled the order with them.

argh... damn, I had a look at eurocarparts, Halfords, and a couple of other sites, and it was always over £100 :S - Thanks for the links

• 3 months later...
On 11/07/2017 at 7:08 PM, Linas.P said:

The Bosch s4 description says recommended for diesel, is it still ok for for the petrol is250?

Yes - 'recommended for diesel' is irrelevant - and it's not OK for IS220Ds etc because they need a much bigger Battery. It is probably OK for some other diesel cars.

12V car batteries all do the same job - they vary in capacity and ability to deliver enough power to start the car. Basically the bigger the engine, the bigger the Battery required (and diesels need bigger batteries because of glow plugs and higher compressions - need more oomph to turn the engine).

And they vary in size and configuration (position of the terminals) - denoted by three digit codes - IS250 needs a 068 Battery - that is a rare spec and not often stocked in regular Battery shops - don't be fobbed off with something that 'will do'

Getting the cover off is a bit of a fandangle - be aware of the Battery temperature sensor on the engine side of the cover - you'll need to disconnect (and later reconnect) it. Then remove the negative Battery lead first (that's the side nearest the wing).

Apart from that and resetting the windows, it's all straightforward.

You'll probably find the window buttons are fine after the Battery change as you have a 2010 model. My old 2007 model had to be resynced, but the 2010 I have now took care of itself. They must have changed something with the facelift version. My Battery was out for about 3 hours when I did my oxygen sensors and the windows worked perfect straight from the off.

Drape an old sheet or large towel over the wing so you don't inadvertantly scratch your wing with a fly zip tag or denim stud. The Battery is quite a heavy lump and you have to get under the angle of the bonnet. Perfect back tweaking position!!!!

Re-attach positive first, then negative and put a smear of petroleum jelly over.

Radio pre-sets  and memory seats will have to be reset though.

Actually, my 2008 IS was fine at first as well, then one day I found all 4 windows open randomly during the rain. My advice would be to reset windows anyway, just for sake of not finding you car with 4 windows fully opened during the rain.

Second thing on Bosch S4 you have 2 little "breathing" holes with white plastic plugs (one on each side), which you need to remove before using the Battery.

I got a quote from Lexus for £105 fitted. So basically £30 for fitting but using their original Battery. I guess the upside is if any issues in future can just take it back to them, what do you think?

9 minutes ago, Texas said:

What's the guarantee period on that Lexus price then?

There is no such thing, I believe it is 3 years on the Battery itself (Panasonic). The rest would be just Lexus customer relations taking care of it regardless reason after complaint. Though my experience with Lexus after care is very mixed, most of the issues fall in grey area between Lexus UK and dealership and they just keep blaming each other.