Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

30 minutes ago, Glover said:

Bit late to this thread.  The Panasonic battery in my Yaris lasted 16years.  I know it probably takes less hammer but suggests that, as with cars, the Japanese know something about reliability when it comes to manufacturing batteries.  On that basis is there a suitable Yuasa (Panasonic don't seem to be available aftermarket).

Yuasa is available from thebatteryshop.co.uk

There is, last time I have checked it was around £120. As well Lexus IS250 obviously comes with Panasonic Battery from the factory and as far as I know it lasts 6-8 years. It is a lot to do with taking are of the Battery or simply doing type of driving which keeps it alive. If you primarily do long miles and regularly, if you keep car garages where it doesn't get very cold or very hot under the sun, if you don't let Battery deplete too much... I guess even cheapest Battery last forever. That said Bosch S4 is exactly designed with heavy use in mind i.e. modern car with a lot of equipment, so it might fare better even in unfavorable conditions... Finally the price seems to be unbeatable, for £72 is is one of the cheapest suitable batteries around.. some no names goes for £54-60, but I guess there is no reason no save that little when for few £ more you can get fairly good quality option.

Sorry should have said is there a suitable Yuasa for the IS250.  My Yaris is very basic with regards to electronics but it's been mainly used round town and stays outside in all weathers so looks like mine did really well at 16 years:-)

Sorry should have said is there a suitable Yuasa for the IS250.  My Yaris is very basic with regards to electronics but it's been mainly used round town and stays outside in all weathers so looks like mine did really well at 16 years:-)
Yuasa YBX3030 - £76.99 from The Battery Shop, Swindon for example.

Probably an excellent choice!

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

But probably perfectly adequate. The cc of a car doesn't tell you anything about reliability, longevity or even much about performance. Likewise, CCA for a Battery.

Yuasa make excellent batteries - other brands are available.

2 hours ago, johnatg said:

But probably perfectly adequate. The cc of a car doesn't tell you anything about reliability, longevity or even much about performance. Likewise, CCA for a battery.

Yuasa make excellent batteries - other brands are available.

+1,

If it were a Diesel application we are talking about ( and somewhere where it gets quite cold regularly) then it might be more relevant as the engine compression is very much more and this has to be overcome just after the glow plugs have had the Lion's share of the Battery!

paul m.

They are fine, but not the cheapest. I have cancelled my order with them when they declined to match price for Bosch S4 for £71.98 including shipping - their prices was something like £74+12 for delivery. 

Is there any particular reason why you don't want Bosch S4?

That is quite hard to say... as I mentioned previously if you don't take care of the Battery even the best can fail... not even after 4 years, you can possibly kill one in few weeks, yet if you keep it always in optimal condition it can last almost forever (that depends a lot on the environment you live in, whenever car is garaged or not etc.).

What I am trying to say 4 years are very short from factory Battery, but at the same time it might not be the batteries' fault.

34 minutes ago, Texas said:

So are you saying that your factory fitted original battery 'only' lasted four years? 

Yes. I bought it in January this year from Lexus. It was 3 years old with 15k miles. I looked at the service record and noticed that it had only covered a few hundred miles in year 3, the owner was working abroad and never used it. I had a few issues with the Battery and reported it to Lexus and got fobbed off, saying they had tested it but no issues. It let me down a third time and I gave them hell, new Battery fitted the following day free of charge by Lexus Wolverhampton.

leaving a Battery standing for a year uncharged is more than likely the cause. Not had any issues with the car although I have several years Lexus warranty on it.l just in case.

That's acceptable then! I think if I was to sit still for a year and then get asked to sprint and work hard then something might fail to say the least!

I still have the factory Battery on my 2007 SE-L and recently treated it to a top-up of this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classikool-500ml-Pure-Distilled-Water-Deionised-then-Distilled-to-Purity/311837043977?hash=item489aefad09:g:15YAAOSw4CFY3j5K

so hopefully if not abused may last a good while yet.

Paul M.

• 1 month later...

Well, that post of mine above has gone and jinxed it good and proper, my 10+ year old original Panasonic has gone and bit the dust with a Click-Click-Click-Click-Click the other morning!!

So over the last week have been trying to beat up prices and narrowed it down to getting either,

Battery size  Mine.     257.     170.     200
                       CCA.   L.        W.        H.                      Years     Make              £
GSF Parts.     570.  260.    174.     225 inc terms.       3.       Yuasa.            64.00 Del
Roughtrax               260.    170.     200.                        2.       Toyota.           83.40
Eurocarparts 630. 260.     173.    200.                        4.        Bosch S4.      83.04
Battery2U.     630. 261.     175.     200.                        4.        Varta.             71.60. Del???

So in the end I went for the Bosch S4 026 (068) from ECP ( the previous post's in this thread sort of swayed it to be honest)

In my quest I found that the manufacture date ( on Bosch anyway, Duracell Do Not date mark their batteries!) can be determined by the  fourth, Fifth and Sixth number etched into the case of the Battery and de-coded with this chart ( could only find a Russian version but you can work out the Months along the top row)

Paul m.

image.png

• 1 month later...
On 04/02/2018 at 12:51 PM, Texas said:

Well, that post of mine above has gone and jinxed it good and proper, my 10+ year old original Panasonic has gone and bit the dust with a Click-Click-Click-Click-Click the other morning!!

So over the last week have been trying to beat up prices and narrowed it down to getting either,

Battery size  Mine.     257.     170.     200
                       CCA.   L.        W.        H.                      Years     Make              £
GSF Parts.     570.  260.    174.     225 inc terms.       3.       Yuasa.            64.00 Del
Roughtrax               260.    170.     200.                        2.       Toyota.           83.40
Eurocarparts 630. 260.     173.    200.                        4.        Bosch S4.      83.04
Battery2U.     630. 261.     175.     200.                        4.        Varta.             71.60. Del???

So in the end I went for the Bosch S4 026 (068) from ECP ( the previous post's in this thread sort of swayed it to be honest)

In my quest I found that the manufacture date ( on Bosch anyway, Duracell Do Not date mark their batteries!) can be determined by the  fourth, Fifth and Sixth number etched into the case of the battery and de-coded with this chart ( could only find a Russian version but you can work out the Months along the top row)

Paul m.

image.png

Where is this number? I can see on mine a few numbers etched.

I can see 6 digit code 536560. If it is this one then I just bought a 2015 Battery from ECP... 

Just above that I see C5C758942

Just next to it I see 1725

Near -ve terminal I see FC6J

1 hour ago, johnatg said:

758 (in C5C758942) - makes it Oct 2017.

Beat me to it there!

yes, 4th,5th & 6th number on yours is 758 ( as above rightly comes back as being manufactured Oct 2017) that is the number heat branded into the Battery case yes?

paul m.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what a 'wrong' Battery looks like . Top dollar priced car but Battery is not the correct one ( reversed terminal positions) therefore the Battery leads have been stretched to fit the terminals and the protective caps do not sit on properly! Asking for trouble if you ask me!

looks like the rubber weather strip as been knocked out of place as well  ( prob by person who fitted wrong Battery!)

image.png

• 4 months later...

Bumping this as my battery appears to be failing. I had to jump-start my car last night, and again this morning. It's an OEM one so that's about 7.5 years it has lasted.

I suspect the power demands of my dashcam have probably shortened it's lifespan prematurely,. It's currently wired into an "always on" circuit and is constantly being triggered into recording footage whenever there's the slightest bit of movement. I see this as a good thing, but it clearly takes it's toll whenever the car doesn't get used for a while.

I think I'm going to have to just lose the parking function and wire it into a different circuit that is only powered when the ignition is on. Otherwise, the replacement might not last very long.

As for the replacement, I'm going for the Bosch S4 from ECP - £88.54 using their current promo code. I'll pick it up today or tomorrow.

Bosch S4 is the one .. just make sure its the 068 type. The 069 has the terminals in the wrong position. In the past ECP defaulted to 069 so I hope they have rectified their spec sheets.

Full number ref is Bosch S4 026 068

• Like 1

Bosch S4 is the one .. just make sure its the 068 type. The 069 has the terminals in the wrong position. In the past ECP defaulted to 069 so I hope they have rectified their spec sheets.
Full number ref is Bosch S4 026 068

Hi normski, what happened to list you helped put together for all the good service bits, tyres and wipers etc. I’m need some 5W30 fully synthetic as the car will need servicing soon. Thanks.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk