Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No sound on playing cd on Mark Levinson IS250

ophthdoc

Hi all

Been trying to find an answer to this - lots of people have asked the question, is there a solution? The system just stopped playing sound on cd. Happened when I ejected the 6 MP3 cd's, and put in some stock cds. Radio etc works fine, but in cd mode although the screen shows track is playing, yet there is no sound, and neither can you control the sound from turning the knob or the steering controls.

Exactly the same as here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nq2Q_yvWJc

Any help will be appreciated!

Tried that. Doesn't do anything. The MP3 cd works fine, as does the aux and radio.

My suspicion is that it relates to the system recognising that it's a cd playing (rather than an MP3) and the using the fiber optic cable to relay the info to the amplifier in the boot. In the boot end of the cable I can't see a red light in the cable when the cd is playing. Faulty connection/damaged cable maybe?

But then again I am only a doctor - so need help of electronic gurus!

Two things worth trying then

1. Try playing a DVD, hopefully that will reset the digital signal processing. Then switch back to an audio CD and keep fingers crossed.

2. Try disconnecting the car Battery, leave disconnected for about 10 to 20 mins. Then reconnect. Note that this will mean you need to reset the electric windows (do a search on the forum for the procedure).

best of luck

I have exactly the same problem. MP3 discs play fine. Radio and Aux play fine. Stock CD's wont play (no sound) DVD plays the DVD but no sound.

I have looked through everywhere I can think of and cant find any resolution to this. I have had the amp out and opened / inspected and cleaned but no luck. Have reset it by disconnecting the Battery, no luck. Have had the head unit out to inspect wires, possibility of them working loose ... nope - all intact and in their sockets tight.

Tried what was shown on you tube also and it did not work - tried it for a while and done all combinations with no luck - tried it again tonight but nope.

My next thought was to replace the DVD unit (bottom part of the head unit) but at around £200 used then its a gamble that its actually that that's wrong. Points to it but I don't want to take the chance. Maybe if it gives up the ghost fully I will do something about it but at the moment for me the Aux / radio and MP3 will do. I would like the DVD working but I would like to win the lottery also ...

I have contacted a couple of Panasonic repair centres (the unit is manufactured by them) and they will not touch it.

It will be nice to find a fix to this

Can someone with a working unit have a look in their boot to see if there is a (red) light at the end of the fibre optic cable when a cd is playing? Its the smallest connector closest to you. That would answer the question about the cable connection (or the cable itself) being at fault. 

Will try resetting the unit by disconnecting battery/playing DVD and update. 

3 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Also, to add to the fault ... When a stock CD or a DVD is in an indication of the volume is not shown when adjusting although it does show when an MP3 disc is in or with radio or Aux playback

Neither can the volume be adjusted (not that it matters as there is no sound!) - I also noticed that as I was trying to get a cd to play I received a call on the hands free, and I couldn't increase the volume on that call with the steering wheel volume control switches - most strange.

• 4 months later...

Just thought to update - I have tried a different amplifier - just connected the wires to the second unit in the boot without removing the old one. Had no effect. radio and mp3 cds work fine, no sound from dvd/stock cds. Thinking of replacing the head unit - will update if I do that.

I have the same issue and have always suspected the bottom part of the head unit that holds the CD's. I stripped the amp down a while ago to see if anything was amiss but did not find anything. its quite an expensive fault to fix with no information regarding the fault as each part is around £150 to £200 and a gamble if it works or not

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed!!!

Okay - managed to get around to removing the Sat Nav/stereo and found an unplugged wire (top picture). Plugged it in and presto - fixed!

There are two fibre cables on the back - one is coming from behind the glove compartment and going into the navigation part (this I think is from the GPS antenna), the second is coming from the driver side as part of three wires tied together, going into the stereo part - the other two look like audio jacks (?microphone). All wires are very conveniently colour coded so easy to plug in correctly.

The middle picture shows the stereo part, the wire goes into the central blue socket.The 3rd picture shows the Nav unit - the other cable goes into the grey socket.

My unit was removed as part of a very extensive import inspection in to New Zealand, and I don't think the guys were very competent. I probably didn't notice it before as didn't play a cd/dvd till some time later.

I don't think the head unit should be defective as it still plays other cds, so I would suggest checking the fibre optic cable running between the amplifier and head unit.Photo 3-09-16, 1 06 38 PM.jpgPhoto 3-09-16, 7 35 39 PM.jpgPhoto 3-09-16, 7 35 46 PM.jpg

They take the sat nav unit out as part of an inspection? :ohmy:  That is extensive.  What else do the remove?  It must be annoying since it can cause niggles like you have experienced.

By the way, I don't suppose you have a picture of the front of your unit?  Always useful for reference.

Thanks.

Don't even get me started on that.

The surface rust on underneath of the car that we take so much for granted in UK was the starting point - inspector asked for interior to be stripped so he can be satisfied the rust wasn't inside the car. Once that was done, then bottom had to be sand blasted to remove rust, and sealed again. Ended up being an expensive exercise.

Several other niggles have come and been sorted. Anyway, picture of front of unit attached.

I managed to convert the SatNav to NZ maps by changing the Navigation ECU - sits sandwiched between the stereo and the display unit. Needed a Denso unit rather than an Aisin as no Aisin maps exist for Oz/NZ. Will upload photos on a different thread.

Photo 2-09-16, 11 51 06 AM.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the picture.  Same unit as mine, so good for using as a reference.

They don't allow rust on cars in New Zealand then? :smile:

Wouldn't it have been easier and less expensive to just get another one locally?

Pretty stringent on importing inspections. Not that you can tell that by looking at what's still being driven on the roads!

Re importing, the shipping was paid for by employer, and it probably wouldn't have sold for much in UK. But if I had known re rust being an issue then would've treated it before bringing over. Car of similar specs and mileage would still cost more here, except ex Japan imports which I wasn't keen on. But would certainly have been less of a headache.

Well, I suppose if you didn't pay for the shipping, then it isn't too bad a deal.

I am surprised about the rust though, since most cars that are a few years old will have some sort of surface rust on them.  Seems very excessive to strip the interior out to have a look.  Probably because they don't like imports. :smile:

• 11 months later...

i had the same issue. the sound in FM/AM mode works, but not when in CD mode. I knocked around the radio and navigation a few times, hitting the dash and sides quite hard, and the sound came back. so its probably a loose connection somewhere.

On 9/9/2016 at 1:08 PM, ophthdoc said:

Pretty stringent on importing inspections. Not that you can tell that by looking at what's still being driven on the roads!

Re importing, the shipping was paid for by employer, and it probably wouldn't have sold for much in UK. But if I had known re rust being an issue then would've treated it before bringing over. Car of similar specs and mileage would still cost more here, except ex Japan imports which I wasn't keen on. But would certainly have been less of a headache.

I have an imported BMW Z4 here in UK from Japan and it is in near mint A1 condition with zero corrosion, this is the third Jap import I've owned and they've all been the same.

I thought Jap imports were popular in New Zealand for this very same reason? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 2:47 AM, acer54 said:

I have an imported BMW Z4 here in UK from Japan and it is in near mint A1 condition with zero corrosion, this is the third Jap import I've owned and they've all been the same.

I thought Jap imports were popular in New Zealand for this very same reason? 

Agree that the ones brought in from Japan are usually in very good condition - their auction process is pretty clear about the quality grading. NZ also gets cars from UK, Australia, and Singapore to name a few. Dodgy traders exist everywhere though, and some cars do have defects which get sold on to unsuspecting customers.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links