Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mixing Red & Pink coolant.

I have searched around and there seems to be mixed opinion on this.  My mechanic used the "pre-mixed" red, which he said was "already mixed".

First question; is "pre-mixed" already mixed, or does that mean that it needs to be mixed? (I have read that there is "post-mixed" which means that it IS mixed!??) :)  My mechanic said that pre-mixed means it's already mixed so can go straight in.

Second question; my mechanic used for the most part (80%) Red, - but it needed topping up, so he used Pink (all he had left at the time).  I said that I have read online that it's not a good idea to mix them as it might damage the seals, however he was adamant and said that he can guarantee that it's fine (although did offer to drain it if I wish!).  He said that even if you drain the coolant and replace with pink, they'll still be remnants of Red left, so it'll be mixed anyway.

With mixed information, I am left with no idea.. - like many of us here, - just want to avoid a big bill if I can possibly help it :)

Hi

For 1 he should have used the pink coolant as that is what should have been in the ls430 to start with.  I was told by Lexus main dealer that all their lexus vehicles manufacturered after 2000 use pink coolant, but I'm not sure if this will make any difference, and did your mechanic use Toyota coolant? If not, I'd take it back, get it drained and use Toyota coolant as I've read somewhere using any other brand coolant can cause damage to the vehicle.

• Like 1

You CAN mix both.  The Pink is Toyota long-life coolant already mixed 50/50. Adding Red (which is not long-life but is concentrated and should be diluted), shortens the life of the Pink but will in no way gum up your cooling system or harm it. You can safely use both if you have to.  Don't ever use Bluecol or similar though.

• Like 1

Ah - I didn't realise the red is what it was manufactured with.  The car is relatively new to me, and it already had red in it.  It was definitely Toyota Red... although I am not sure what make of Pink he used ??

Also - the Toyota Red stated "Pre-Mixed".  Does this mean you pour it straight in, or, should "pre-mixed" be diluted?

Many thanks :)

Phil, we've already been here not long ago. Pre-mixed means it should be diluted. It doesn't mean already mixed, it means it's in its original state, hence 'Pre', i.e. before being mixed with water.  Some bottles of Red have 'concentrated' printed on them, others have 'Pre-Mix' printed on them and still others have 'Pre-mixed' printed on them.  They all mean the same thing and are all Toyota Red.  Toyota Pink is what an LS 430  is manufactured with. You can safely mix both. Hope this helps.

I thought ...

Pre-mixed was diluted and weaker, therefore Pink and cheaper.

And the Red was less dilute, and stronger, and more expensive.

( I have topped up with Red, with no issues )

Pre- mixed = BEFORE mixed rather than ALREADY mixed. Red is coolant concentrate and needs diluting. Pink is Toyota's  long-life coolant that comes already diluted.  You can safely use both together.

I am not wishing to argue with you all :)  Just that it states here that the pre-mixed (this is the exactly the same bottle that I have) can be added straight into the cooling system.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/genuine-toyota-long-life-red-coolant-5-litres-pre-mixed.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwi9K4BRCQzq7d1c6A_XASJABueAO27zr5BQQGoJBdjtwpyxpaYYy4M27hrlvU7qTkWYdafhoCeznw_wcB

Is this definitely wrong, as I've got to do a 8 hour round trip journey in it on Friday? - I drove it for a couple of hours over the weekend - seem okay....

It's my view that Rough Trax are wrong with their description. Only Toyota's newer Pink coolant comes already diluted. Toyota Red is concentrated and needs diluting.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input.  Do you think if I left it in and continued to drive as it is (undiluted, apart from about half a pint of pink), I will have problems?

Phil, you could find that the almost pure coolant you have in there presently doesn't dissipate engine heat as well as when mixed with water. You risk overheating by leaving it as it is. The good thing is that Lexus provide a handy plastic drain plug on the bottom of the radiator, (unlike  most manufacturers). This makes it very easy to drain and then replenish with 50% distilled water and coolant.(approx will do). When refilling though, don't start by pouring coolant into the plastic coolant reservoir, you'll be there all night. Fill through the large HEX plug you can see right on top of the engine. It will fill much quicker and is the proper way. (Then top off using the reservoir). Hope this helps.

I have just spoken to the parts departments at two different Lexus dealers:  They both were absolutely 100% sure that the "Toyota Long Life Coolant Pre-Mixed Red" should be poured straight in, ie, it's already mixed.

(I spoke to Woodford Essex, and Twickenham Surrey)

22 minutes ago, PJD said:

I have just spoken to the parts departments at two different Lexus dealers:  They both were absolutely 100% sure that the "Toyota Long Life Coolant Pre-Mixed Red" should be poured straight in, ie, it's already mixed.

(I spoke to Woodford Essex, and Twickenham Surrey)

I'd have been surprised at any other outcome, to be honest, but at least now you have peace of mind.

If you don't believe me you can see for yourself on eBay. On there you'll see bottles of Toyota Red labeled 'concentrate'. Am I right in thinking that something labeled 'concentrate' needs diluting? People are getting Pink and Red coolants confused.   Surprisingly, some Dealerships have been known to give owners wrong and expensive advice. Still, you do what you think is right, put it all in. 

Well that makes sense to me, as I would presume "concentrate" means that it DOES need diluting: "Concentrate definition: a substance made by removing or reducing the diluting agent; a concentrated form of something."

So that's the difference between the two products, with two different labels.  Why would they call the same product, both of which needs diluting, by two different names (i.e. "pre-mixed" and "concentrate")?

I accept dealers have been known to give owners wrong advice, which is why I rang two of them.  Forums have known to give duff advice also.

Who would you believe if you were me?  Two different Lexus dealerships, or an unknown poster on "the internet" ?

Would you be able to post a link to an official Toyota or Lexus website which actually backs up what you believe?

The term 'Pre -mixed' is ambiguous. It can mean BEFORE being mixed i.e. concentrated, or, as you believe, ALREADY mixed. Go with the dealership, but don't cry if it overheats.

This is going on a bit!  I just phoned my local Toyota dealer where I bought my red coolant as I needed to be sure after reading all this.  They said the "pre mixed" that I bought from them goes straight in as it is, no need to dilute.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Titch LS said:

The term 'Pre -mixed' is ambiguous. It can mean BEFORE being mixed i.e. concentrated, or, as you believe, ALREADY mixed. Go with the dealership, but don't cry if it overheats.

I agree, it is somewhat ambiguous.

So what has LED you to believe it means it needs mixing?  

And, if the "pre-mixed" needs mixing, what do you do with the "concentrate"?

Hi Pjd

If it bothering you that much as this seems to be going on abit now, best thing to do is get toyota pink coolant from your lexus main dealer, drain your old fluid and put your new fluid in. That should solve any issues you think you may have.

• Like 1

Thanks Messi.  No, I feel reasonably confident that Toyota & Lexus dealers, resellers & my mechanic's unanimous advice, is probably the correct.  I'm sure we would have seen issues before now if they were all wrong. 

Out of pure interest & curiosity, I still look forward to titch's responses.

If you don't believe me you can see for yourself on ebay. On there you'll see bottles of Toyota Red labeled 'concentrate'. Am I right in thinking that something labeled 'concentrate' needs diluting? People are getting Pink and Red coolants confused.   Surprisingly, some Dealerships have been known to give owners wrong and expensive advice. Still, you do what you think is right, put it all in. 

I'm not sure where eBay supports that people are getting confused. There are bottles of pre-mixed red and pre-mixed pink. Both types are different (the ingredients are different), pink is not just diluted red. If it says pre-mixed ("pre" as in before you bought it), it is ready for use, if it says concentrate, it needs diluting. I can't find any that say they are pre-mixed concentrate (which would be confusing)

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links