Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cracked Air Con Condenser

I've had my IS300h F Sport for five months and absolutely love it. It's my third Lexus the others being an IS200 and IS 250 F Sport.

I noticed recently though, that with some slightly warmer weather, as I tried to cool the interior it remained stubbornly lukewarm instead of cold.

It went in for its second service today, so I asked the excellent Bristol centre to investigate.

The end result is that I have a cracked condenser which is going to be replaced next Friday, fortunately for me under warranty!

Hoping they give me something nice to drive for the day......................... :smile:

Thanks Thom.

I'll update this post when the work is done next week. The service manager told me Lexus aircon systems are very efficient. We'll see - but glad the problem has been diagnosed with the summer on the horizon (and that I'm not paying!).

10 hours ago, tHomBleached said:

Welcome purse. I've had all three IS's an all and I've noticed the mk3 doesn't get anywhere near as icy cold as the other two, maybe I've got the same problem. Glad to got it sorted :)

Might be a good idea to fiddle with the settings. There's soft blow, fast blow and medium which does change how cold it gets.  Also leaving car in ECO mode will make it more efficient but less effective 

Update to my cracked condenser - all sorted on Friday with minimal fuss. Lexus Bristol gave me a 2016 IS Advance for the day. Nice but much prefer the F Sport! One thing I did notice was a glossier looking Nav screen which looked good. F Sport much more of a matt effect screen.

Air con now working as it should just in time for summer. Lets hope we get a good one!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

That sounds very cheap.

Just to confirm - you're getting a new aircon compressor and they're doing the job, so that price covers parts and labour?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Do you think the condenser is the same as the evaporator?

I have this aircon cleaning spray and says to apply it somewhere in there....
I called the dealership and someone at Lexus told me the evaporator would be deep in the engine bay and accessing it would mean a couple of hours of labour...

38 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Do you think the condenser is the same as the evaporator?

I have this aircon cleaning spray and says to apply it somewhere in there....
I called the dealership and someone at Lexus told me the evaporator would be deep in the engine bay and accessing it would mean a couple of hours of labour...

Pretty sure the evaporator should be buried somewhere under the dashboard. Its the thing that cools the air that the blower motor blows on it. It should be in the cabin as opposed to the engine bay. 

Condenser is a different thing. Its the one behind the radiator 

• Thanks 1