Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What viscosity oil do we use

3 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

There is more than that to oil. Look for specs and "viscosity" of oil 05w30 or 0w30 is not enough info.

Lexus is250 takes Castrol 05w30 A5. Put that in a car that is meant to take Castrol 05W30 C3 and you will see oil burning and probable damage.

So to recap, what you are saying is don't use just any 5w-30 fully synthetic?

cant find any reference to this in the handbook, it just recommends 5w-30 fully synthetic, I actually use Castrol Edge 5w-30 but have seen Mobil 1 cheaper, any good?, or could we be being too technical?, I personally like to use top quality oil as I am a bit fussy, I normally change my oil every 6 months or so as I only do short journeys

Vintage posted some nice info. But its only about C1 C2 and C3. It elebrorated 2 key points. 1. C1 2 3 is low saps. 2. Its meant for vars with dpf. 

Hint: C3 is more viscous than A5. So if you buy 05W30 C3 it is not equal to 05w30 A5. And A5 is for better fuel economy.

15 hours ago, Gramera flash said:

Castrol website suggests Magnatec 5w-30 A5, that's for 2008 is250

Yes that's the one. Castrol 5w30 A5 Magnetic. And if you check later models they take very different oil. Just shows you doesn't it. Bet many people here didn't had a clue and might have used wrong oil by just putting in any known brand 05w30. . Don't blame them. Average mechanic doesn't usually know this important info.

For few folk here... if you go to tesco or Halfords, look on the shelf. You will find a range of Castrol Magnetic 05w30. Notice the marking A5 or C2 or C3 on it. Ever pondered why they sell it under different labels? ... :)

• Like 1

As my oil is changed by Lexus I don't pay much attention - they "probably" knows what to put - but it is Castrol Magnetic.

If I do oil myself I would just use cheapest 5-30w ( and now I know I need A type) - the reason is that over the years oil improves and what the Lexus used to put in my car in 2008 from Castrol, now is available on supermarket shelves at discounted price. Obviously, current Castrol oil is better, but for engine with over 100k it is unlikely to matter anymore.

Premium oil only for the cars under 5 years or under 60k - personal opinion.

I understand what people are saying regarding oil, but perhaps someone could offer me some advice.

i need to top up the oil for my newly purchased (10 year old) 250. I've only had it a few weeks but the oil level is sitting on the lower mark on th dipstick and needs at least half a litre. It was serviced 6 months ago, the old invoices from the independant just state 5W30 oil.

i have a load of oil in my garage for my VW and other cars. One is Castrol Edge 5W30 (C3 I think) and one is Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A1 (labelled Ford approved). As I don't know the full spec of what's in my engine and won't until I get an oil change and service in October, could I use one of these?

what would members suggest I top up with, either of these or go and get a few litres of Magnatec A5?

I have just changed mine today - magnatec 5/30 (A5 spec for Lexus) - not a hard job, bit messy but easily a job you could do yourself - Euro car parts have an offer on at the moment discounted costs on parts - 8 litres of magnatec (2 x 4ltr tubs) an oil filter and a can of engine flush for £50 - an hours job tops.

I had issues in using edge a while ago where I needed to top up between changes on a 6 month oil change interval - changed to magnatec and the level doesn't change now so have stuck with it. As its a new car to you I would ensure you know the oil change has been done and the correct grade used. Give it a go yourself - you will be surprised at how easy it is and you will get satisfaction from knowing its done right with the correct oil and you can save yourself a bit of money in the process.

Regarding your question above - 5/30 (A5  spec) is the grade if using magnatec - as you don't know whats in it, in my opinion what you have, the C3 spec is usable for the short period but ensuring it doesn't run low is more paramount in your situation than the choice of oils you have as you don't know whats historically been used so does it matter for the short time.....I would suggest for you to have a go yourself in changing it, it is really an easy job and will save you around £50 easy 

Oil consumption can be due to wrong grade oil. Long term it will burn off and soot will gather up in cat converter clogging up exhaust and if there is an egr. And you will need to top up with correct oil till the old one is burned off.

You might never see blue smoke if engine is good and exhaust system is working well.

This A5 C3 thing should have been in owners manual. I am sure many people have screwed up engines because of this. Chain garage will have a database so they are a safer bet I would assume. But DIYers ger hit.

• Like 1

On 24 April 2016 at 6:22 AM, Gramera flash said:

Jackcramerr, totally agree, why is this information regarding this not included in the handbook? It's as though Lexus don't think it's that important.

It isn't. Why would Lexus, a Japanese manufacturer, care about some spec from a European group of manufacturers (ACEA)? The information in the handbook provides the required information, it contains more than just a viscosity rating.

On 4/24/2016 at 6:22 AM, Gramera flash said:

Jackcramerr, totally agree, why is this information regarding this not included in the handbook? It's as though Lexus don't think it's that important.

I believe Lexus (and any other manufacturer) only cares about car which are within warranty. That is when 95% of owners will bring the car in authorised service, therefore is very unlikely that somebody will put wrong oil while car is still within the manufacturers warranty. Even majority of independent garages would know the difference and even if they put slightly wrong oil it won't be ultimate ends (like A5 vs C3), but maybe something like A5 vs. A1. That matters even less for top-ups (which are more likely that owners will do themselves).

I would be interested if anyone have any experience using different oil like 0W30?

There's 0w30 in my car.

I believe this is what Lexus Edinburgh and Glasgow always put in an IS250.

Anyway, no issues here. I bought a 1L top-up bottle anticipating that some consumption might happen between services but so far it hasn't used a drop.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links