Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grinding changing gears when cluch is pressed

DJDevaux

Hi All,

Hope you can help.  I have a 2004 IS200 that I absolutely love (wanted one for ages) but over the past few months I have had issues with the transmission.  Originally what happened during driving (and this happened all of a sudden) in the city the gearbox/clutch/etc, would make a griding noise from 1st to 2nd and in 3rd but only if the clutch was pressed.  As soon as the cluch was released, no noise and would drive normally.  My mechanic said it sounded like the gearbox was on it's way out so I have had a used/low mileage gearbox and a new cluch put in which was working great for about a week until today....  The same noise came back with a vengance and it sounds a lot worse than before.  Just wondering if it's something else causing the problem this time or have I been sold a duff gearbox?

Any help would be fantastick and thank you.

The noise is happening when in gear? I'm not sure why it would grind when the clutch is pedal is pressed in but im sure theres a reason for that.

You could try some Lucas Transmission Fix Oil? 

My gearbox got stiff when putting into gear and you could hear the gears whizzing up like a drill, So flushed the oil and added some treatment now it's all good. That lucas treatment is super sticky and coats all the gears to protect them. It's £15 for bottle of amazon if you want to try it. Made my gearbox quite. 

The noise actually happens when the clutch is pressed and you're shifing into the gear.  As you remove your foot off the clutch, the noise dissapears.  I've also had it when coming to a stop and my foot is on the clutch and break when in 2nd.  Awful noise that people can hear as I got a lot of looks when it was doing it.

Thanks for the info on the Transmission Fix Oil, we used a similar stuff called Molly Slip when the gearbox went on which does the same thing and does work but it seems the noise is actually the Main Bearing and Induction Bearing breaking up in the gearbox.  I got it to my mechanic yesterday after a rough, noisy drive for him to hear it and he confirmed it was the bearings breaking due to it being a faulty/dodgy gearbox.  I've now had to go somewhere else to get another gearbox (my mechanic reccommended this place) which is on its way as we speak.

Word to the wise, when buying parts off Breakerlink, check and double check the breakers you are buying from as I got hit with a dodgy one that sent me 2 faulty gearboxes.