Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jump Starting.

Hi all, I need a little advice please.

After a 50 day 'holiday' in hospital earlier this year, I returned home to find the car in the garage with a flat Battery, ( to be expected). I called the repair man and he had with him a large black box with two leads, he attached one lead to the red block in the fuse box and the other to a metallic part in the engine besides the inverter, as shown in the manual. The car started second time. -  I only expected to be away 4/5 days, but there were some complications.

I had a similar problem with a CT a few years back, but I was away then and the car was towed away, I feel a little worried. I do not want to get caught out again, for example, when on holiday. I noticed on another thread that there was mention of an :ANNKE 800mAh jump starter, 400 peak current, which was about £30 from amazon. Is this item similar to the one that the repair man used, only smaller and if so, would it be suitable to start my engine if I found myself in that predicament again?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Michael.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/8000mAh-Starter-Current-Emergency-Ultra-bright/dp/B012SXUK24/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460134374&sr=8-1&keywords            

yes that would be more than adaquate to start your car.

the Battery that went flat doesn't actually start your car, your traction Battery turns the engine over

the normal looking Battery powers all the computer systems which in turn sends a signal to the

traction Battery to start the engine,so with this Battery being flat no start signal was sent.

Hi 200h,

many thanks for your comprehensive reply, I placed an order for the charger today, should arrive about the 26th, cost with p.p. £34.97. Hopefully, I will never have to use it, but it is always better to be safe than sorry. I only have to use it once in 100 years and it will pay for itself, I see it has other uses also, so can't be a bad buy at that price.

Best wishes.

Michael.   

15 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

I thought about treating myself to one of these but was then put off the idea by some of the reviews that I read.

One of the bad reviews was trying to jump start a flat Battery on a  2.5 Litre diesel Audi.  Remember the Lexus IS300h doesnt need a huge ammount of power to start as the traction Battery does the donkey work.  I have a similar one my boot to just in case!!

Ed:winkiss:

14 hours ago, capese21 said:

One of the bad reviews was trying to jump start a flat battery on a  2.5 Litre diesel Audi.  Remember the Lexus IS300h doesnt need a huge ammount of power to start as the traction battery does the donkey work.  I have a similar in my boot to just in case!!

Thanks for this capese21, very helpful info.  When you say 'similar' what did you buy?

21 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

Thanks for this capese21, very helpful info.  When you say 'similar' what did you buy?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-portable-function-16800mAh-gasoline/dp/B012CSYE5Y

This is one I bought. It has good reviews and a decent current rating. It is only in the boot for just in case so not tried it out!

13 minutes ago, Bratman91 said:

Is 50 days a reasonable expectation for a battery in a 2013 car kept in a garage to go so flat that it can't even send a signal to the traction battery? 

It depends on what the quiescent current is. if I can be bothered I will go and get the clamp meter out and measure it!.

• 5 weeks later...

Edwardo, Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a 'Blackvue' set up similar to you, but the previous model. It was originally fitted in my CT, when I moved to the IS I kept the cameras and just got the electrician to wire them in, he took a pick up point from behind the central display screen. The camera is on all the time and this may be why it was flat after 50 days.

Could you explain what 'quiescent current' is please, excuse my ignorance.

Best wishes.

Michael.  

15 minutes ago, zippyone said:

Could you explain what 'quiescent current' is please, excuse my ignorance.

The quiescent current is what the car needs to power it basic functions when locked. Alarm, approach lights sensors etc.   My camera is wired to a switched ignition feed but then it isn't recording when the car is parked. I think there are Battery savers available which switch off the camera when a certain voltage is reached so avoids a completely flat Battery.

Ed:yes:

I use the power magic pro to do exactly as you describe, allowing my cameras to run in parking mode for a couple of days.