Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi there,

First post on this forum so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

Just bought a 2014 Lexus GS300h Luxury with Mark Levinson and Sunroof upgrades, I'm a high mileage user (approx 30K a year) and was wondering should I be concerned about the Hybrid Battery life? I intend to keep the car for 3 years used daily and main dealer serviced. I bought the car on the strength that all the mini cabs round my way are Toyota Prius's and they seem to be running around fine.

I would value any input.

Thanks

Stu

Hi Stuart, happy to read another GS 300h owner , I have same car, totally  satisfied with it. Don't worry about Battery life. If you have a specific question ask, if you like to read more about GS, you can read in forum topics regarding the little sister IS 300h with same engine. And if you like to read tests, here is one:

http://carproductstested.com/cars/2014-lexus-gs-300h-premier-review/

• Like 1

Hi Stuart and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer left over.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

Thanks for the input guys, I've done a bit of digging on the net and it does seem the hybrid batteries seem to have a pretty long life, over the 60,000 mile warranty at any rate.

Next question, if you'll indulge me further, what sort of MPG can I expect to get - I'd say I do a 50/50 mix of motorway/town driving.

Thanks again 

If you have the car serviced by Lexus or Toyota "as you intimate" after the initial 60,000 miles guarantee the Battery can be under guarantee for up to 10 years. This is irrespective of miles driven.

With each service a hybrid check is carried out "free of charge" and the Battery guarantee is extended by 1 year or 10,000 miles up till it's 10 birthday. In your case this could mean the Battery is under guarantee till 300,000 miles.

I have just sold my 8 year old Prius with 124,000 miles with the Battery still under guarantee.

About mpg, expect  a bit less  mpg than a IS 300h, mainly because of slight more weight and probably larger wheels. About my GS 300h with 235/40 r19 tyres I get 16 km/l=45 mpg , not bad but I drive with much traffic, easy to get better. 

Thanks again for the input, 45 mpg will be a marked improvement on my 2.0L Honda Accord which only gave 32 mpg combined driving.

Last question for now, I'll try and save more questions until after I've picked it up Saturday, but I've been reading about "In motion Lock Out" for the sat nav and other functions on certain models, does anyone know if my GS is likely to be affected by this annoying feature? The Honda system allowed destination input on the move and I found it very useful and time saving.

I've read a lot about this on US based forums, so maybe it just affects US spec models?

If the car is affected by this, what the best defeat device to go for?

No problem about setting on navi a new destination while in motion. About mpg, today I tried to have good mpg in city trip, obtaining 53.5 , just keeping low and regular speed and trying to avoid sudden braking :)

US owners get locked out if their back but luckily we don't! You should get about 40-45mpg and you certainly shouldn't have any issues with the batteries. Loads of Toyota Prius have done mega mileages, sometimes over 500k still running on original batteries

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stu,

i am new owner of new GS300h too an i am very impressed with my fuel economy. I am getting 5.4 L/100km (52 MPG). My car has about 1550 km. It doesn't matter if i am driving in the city or highway it is always oscillating between 5.1 - 5.5 L/100km. I am not driving too fast, but not too slow, usually within legal speed limits.