Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have had a whistling sound every now and again on start up. Mainly when the weather is wet. This usually goes within about 30 seconds or so. This morning it did not go. Although it's quiet, it's concerning. I think it's coming from a belt somewhere. But can't fathom where from. Can't complain, it's the first time anything has cropped up 3 years. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Sounds a bit belt like. If you can get someone to start up with bonnet open and you carefully listening whilst keeping away and not touching anything...

might be worth swopping drive belt and tensioner if not done for a while. 

Check for any fluid leaks dropping on to the belt.

is it a pulley bearing squealing? Water pump?

what work has been done and when?

• Like 1

Pretty simple job to remove the aux belt, then check it for condition, and also check the idlers for roughness/play.

I fitted a new Gates belt to mine, reasonably priced on eBay.

• Like 2

A squeal/whistle is probably an idler or tensioner pulley bearing driven by the ancilliary drive belt (not the cambelt). I replaced both pulleys and belt on mine and the noise disappeared and has not come back for the last 4 years.

Serpentine belt top idler pulley bearing is the usual cause, mine used to do it in cold weather until it warmed up.

You can either change the complete pulley or just the bearing which I did for a few pounds.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I got my neighbour to listen, he thinks I worry to much. He said he could hear something, and wished his was as quiet. He owns a bmw.  I wouldn't attempt this myself. Not very good at things like that. I will ask my indi. Thanks again.

Hi Tom

I had the same before xmas and determined it was the serpentine belt, to check it was I sprayed wd 40 on the edge whilst the belt was turning and the noise ceased .I have since bought a new belt and when the noise reappears I will change it.