Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello,

Few days ago I left my car in Lexus dealer to try repair radio interference caused by switching on mirror /rear screen heating button.  

I have extended warranty on a car. 

Unfortunately warranty doesn't cover radio or speakers etc.

Guy who took car in, though that warranty will cover repair. Technician spent time finding fault. It's rear screen. Cost almost £1000. 

Because warranty won't cover the fault, I was asked to pay £85 for technicians time. 

My question is: should guy who took my car in, should know what warranty covers before starting investigation and wasting my money and his time ? Should I make a complaint and ask for refund? 

Thanks 

1 minute ago, imadl4 said:

Hello,

Few days ago I left my car in Lexus dealer to try repair radio interference caused by switching on mirror /rear screen heating button.  

I have extended warranty on a car. 

Unfortunately warranty doesn't cover radio or speakers etc.

Guy who took car in though,  that warranty will cover repair. technician spent time finding fault. It's rear screen. Cost almost £1000. 

Because warranty didn't cover the fault I wad asked to pay £85 for technician time. 

My question is: should guy who took my car in, should know what warranty covers before starting investigation and wasting my money and his time ? Should I make a complaint and ask for refund? 

Thanks 

Remind them that the fault is the rear screen not performing to specification.

Regards

John

WHAT YOU ARE COVERED FOR

• Engine components
  • Clutch
  • Gearbox and manual transmission
  • Automatic transmission
  • Four wheel drive transmission
  • Rear axle
  • Propshaft
  • Suspension
  • Braking system
  • Turbocharger
  • Fuel system
  • Diesel injection systems
  • Electronic ignition
  • Electrics
  • Oil leaks
  • Cooling system
  • Steering
  • Air conditioning
  • Casings

WHAT YOU ARE NOT COVERED FOR

• Serviceable items
  • Drive belt adjustments
  • Brake and clutch adjustments and replacements due to wear
  • Glass replacements due to breakages or impact
  • Lights, bulbs and headlight adjustments
  • Window and door lock adjustments
  • Paintwork and bodywork
  • Battery (HV Battery on Hybrids is covered)
  • Interior trim
  • Corrosion to the exhaust
  • Road wheels

Pulled off Lexus UK website. Electrics are covered and so is glass as long as its not broken. Id take the car back and show them whats written on the Lexus UK website.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, imadl4 said:

Yes, it's Lexus warranty. Apparently stereo isn't covered.

Its certainly covered as it counts under "electrics". It doesn't exclude stereo or speakers at all

Who told you it wasn't covered?

I was actually at Lexus Reading today and the guy told me that basically wear and tear is the only thing not covered.  The list Rayaan posted pretty much covers it.  The T&C on the site or with the warranty paper work is pretty clear on the subject.

Lexus warranty department rejected this claim unfortunately. I'm just looking on Lexus website and there is "electrics" as you said rayaans, but what's included I don't know. I think I'll  give them a call.

Yes, definitely call for more details.  I had a nice long chat to one of the service guys today and he basically said that apart from the obvious (brakes, batteries, exhaust, bodywork, etc..) that is wear and tear, Lexus UK generally cover everything.

I might give them a call tomorrow myself to see what they say regarding stereos/sat navs and warranties...

Lexus Reading are open till 6pm, so I just spoke to the service department.

He told me that electrics, including the stereo and speaker system were covered by the warranty.

Although they were a little unclear as to the service requirements for eligibility of the warranty.  The guy told me that it needed a full Lexus history, whereas the other dealer I have used, Jemca Edgware Road, said that the previous history was irrelevant as long as you get it serviced at the dealer on time during the warranty period.

Having told him this, he asked his manager who said that as long as the car had been serviced, it didn't have to be at Lexus beforehand.

So there seems to be a little confusion on some aspects.

• Like 1

I'll call Lexus help line, as some people in Reading don't know a lot about warranty. I'll demand detailed warranty cover for everything.

As long as you use genuine Lexus parts, warranty is still valid, doesn't matter where you do you service or repairs.

18 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

He told me that electrics, including the stereo and speaker system were covered by the warranty.

This guy who took my car in thought the same but only thought.

There's no damage to the window.

• Like 1

Yeah, Reading do seem a little fuzzy on the warranty details.

Did they tell you that it doesn't matter where it was serviced?

It is a little bit of a trek, but if you get no joy, you could try their Edgware Road dealer.  They gave me no hassle and did their best to help me out.  Having said that, if it is Lexus UK that is being stubborn, a different dealer won't help matters.

Does your have a full Lexus history then?

I was told, that as long as it's on genuine   parts, warranty is still valid. But you never know. Better check yourself. ;)

I'll see what they'll tell me tomorrow.

Mine have full Lexus history.

It will be interesting to get the definitive answer on the radio/speaker side of things.

i also thought they were not covered on the warranty and I also have the full Lexus warranty.

i also find one of my speakers, possibly the sub pops a lot with certain types of bass tracks so it could be on its way out.

be nice to claim a new one on warranty.

carl

9 hours ago, Carl911 said:

It will be interesting to get the definitive answer on the radio/speaker side of things.

i also thought they were not covered on the warranty and I also have the full Lexus warranty.

i also find one of my speakers, possibly the sub pops a lot with certain types of bass tracks so it could be on its way out.

be nice to claim a new one on warranty.

carl

The second and 4th posts contain the answer.

The fault is with the glass screen and so is covered by the Lexus Warranty.

Regards

John

Hi,

Just spoke to lexus claim department and guy said, that in the booklet car entertainment it's exclude from the extended warranty. 

I asked about engine failure.  Depends on what sort of failure it is, warranty will or won't cover. 

It's all look good on a paper unfortunately. 

56 minutes ago, imadl4 said:

Hi,

Just spoke to lexus claim department and guy said, that in the booklet car entertainment it's exclude from the extended warranty. 

I asked about engine failure.  Depends on what sort of failure it is, warranty will or won't cover. 

It's all look good on a paper unfortunately. 

http://d3rvezpmgp265q.cloudfront.net/lexusone/lexgben/Terms-and-Conditions-Lexus-Extended-Warranty-for-Vehicle_tcm-3066-458631.pdf?_ga=1.99612062.1492263200.1461927560

There you go. "Car entertainment" isn't on the excluded list in the terms and conditions so you can argue that you've been mis-sold the warranty if they say anything to that

Ok, I just spoke to a guy called Chris at Toyota Warranty Dept on 0330 100 3312

He told me without question that the standard factory fit stereo and sat nav systems are covered.

He also confirm that previous service history before the warranty period is irrelevant and the only thing that matters is getting it serviced by the dealer at the right time during the warranty.

• Like 2

Thank you Shahpor .

I spoke to Chris as well. Unfortunately MY extended warranty doesn't   cover radio and keys. Why ? Because my car is 5+ years old and that's the only exclusion.

I've got my answer now.

Well, that is odd.

My car is 8 years old and he told me it does?  The only difference is that mine is an IS, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Perhaps someone else should call Chris and see which answer he gives :smile:

I spoke to Tom as well :) There's big difference even in prices.  I think, Reading dealer wrongly diagnosed the fault.

Radio got interference because of suppressor in the rear window, so in my opinion that should be done under warranty. Radio is working fine, until I turn on mirrors/rear window heating button. ,

Well, if there are difference, then that sucks.

You are right though, it is nothing to do with the stereo and the rear window should be fixed under warranty.

• Like 1