Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

tyre pump

Rom1

I noticed front tyre was a bit down on air, so thought I'd use the pump in the boot, bad idea.... is it true it's only of use to inflate with the goo and no use in just topping up tyre presure.

I would never use the goo, would call breakdown and have tyre repaired, so I'm thinking to replace the pump with a normal 12V tyre pump. Any issues in doing this.

Better still get a space saver and call breakdown out to change it - Health conditions mean I cant do it myself, 

I believe you can use it as a normal pump too.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Having said that,looking on page 604 onwards in the online owners manual it's a bit vague as to the use of the pump. It seems the bottle of goo is inside the pump and I can't see anything else regarding normal pressure checking. Bit of a duff idea I think. I wonder if that bottle could be removed?

When I had a CT200 in 2013, I tried topping up a tyre pressure with pump but it let out more air than put in, so like you mention I went down route of getting 'space saver' and bought a little tyre compressor from Aldi, which I use regularly.

• Like 1

I tried pumping tyre up with this and it let air out, so I opened it to see how its connected, the bottle takes the pipe from inlet and outlet, doesn't look like it can bypass the bottle and use as a pump, most rubbish idea these pumps and goo. Least I found out when I did and not when I was stuck with a flat tyre 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rom1 said:

I tried pumping tyre up with this and it let air out, so I opened it to see how its connected, the bottle takes the pipe from inlet and outlet, doesn't look like it can bypass the bottle and use as a pump, most rubbish idea these pumps and goo. Least I found out when I did and not when I was stuck with a flat tyre 

1 hour ago, stormchaser said:

Thanks for that Rom1. It's a poor design just being a one off emergency use. I really must invest in a spacesaver now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really a rubbish idea. Some would argue its the best idea in the world - you don't have to go lugging around a whole wheel and a tyre.

Lets face it, how often is it that someone has a flat tyre? And even then you don't have to get your trousers dirty if you call breakdown out.

In the past week Ive been over glass, plastic bumper pieces etc from a crashed car and I still dont have a puncture......

Using the goo isn't a problem at all - the only reason people don't use it is because they're under the misconception that tyres can't be repaired after the goo has been used. Thats not true, it can be repaired (if the puncture is repairable), its just that the backstreet boys claim "its unrepairable" as they don't want to clean the tyre out!!

18 hours ago, rayaans said:

Not really a rubbish idea. Some would argue its the best idea in the world - you don't have to go lugging around a whole wheel and a tyre.

Lets face it, how often is it that someone has a flat tyre? And even then you don't have to get your trousers dirty if you call breakdown out.

In the past week Ive been over glass, plastic bumper pieces etc from a crashed car and I still dont have a puncture......

Using the goo isn't a problem at all - the only reason people don't use it is because they're under the misconception that tyres can't be repaired after the goo has been used. Thats not true, it can be repaired (if the puncture is repairable), its just that the backstreet boys claim "its unrepairable" as they don't want to clean the tyre out!!

When I set out on a journey I aim to be able to reach my destination. During my driving experience I have always reached my destination in the car I set out in. A space saver enables a car with tyre sidewall damage to reach its destination (eventually) even if the owner has to wait for a recovery person to fit the spare wheel for him/her. Goo offers the recovery person no option other than to  halt his customers plans for an indeturminate period of time while the vehicle has to be recovered and taken to some place where a replacement tyre may be sourced and fitted.

Some people of course have all the time in the world for such faffing about. I dont. Spare tyres will always work better than goo. Space savers are less than ideal but they are better than goo. I actually believe that the entire( no pun) industry is having us all over since solid tyre technology has been around for many, many years.

1 hour ago, Wass said:

When I set out on a journey I aim to be able to reach my destination. During my driving experience I have always reached my destination in the car I set out in. A space saver enables a car with tyre sidewall damage to reach its destination (eventually) even if the owner has to wait for a recovery person to fit the spare wheel for him/her. Goo offers the recovery person no option other than to  halt his customers plans for an indeturminate period of time while the vehicle has to be recovered and taken to some place where a replacement tyre may be sourced and fitted.

Some people of course have all the time in the world for such faffing about. I dont. Spare tyres will always work better than goo. Space savers are less than ideal but they are better than goo. I actually believe that the entire( no pun) industry is having us all over since solid tyre technology has been around for many, many years.

Im pretty sure a space saver is actually supposed to be used to get to the nearest tyre place.

Using a space saver on the motorway, even at 50mph for an extended journey and WILL lead to £60 fine and 3 points. Seen it happen on more than 1 occasion

Might be worth getting an MOT done with a space saver whilst you are at it, it'll definitely fail.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2016 at 8:32 PM, rayaans said:

Im pretty sure a space saver is actually supposed to be used to get to the nearest tyre place.

Using a space saver on the motorway, even at 50mph for an extended journey and WILL lead to £60 fine and 3 points. Seen it happen on more than 1 occasion

Might be worth getting an MOT done with a space saver whilst you are at it, it'll definitely fail.

Some unusual statements there. Are you upset about something? MOT with a space saver?Nearest tyre shop? (regardless of whether they have a tyre or whether they're open). The law as it stands isn't all that specific about space savers except to say that they are permitted to be used in emergency situations only. Deliberately driving for long distance on motorways at lower speeds is far from comfortable for any driver. I am sure that most would use common sense and choose to drive along routes which would take them through locations which may offer a solution to their tyre with sidewall damage and would drive on roads which are far more appropriate for the 50 limit on space savers. My whole point about space savers is that they give you a greater chance than a bottle of goo. Part of the goo instructions for some vehicles actually has you hopping out of the car after driving a certain distance so that you can see whether the tyre is still holding pressure. ( its already dangerous enough to stop once let alone routinely repeatingly stopping in order to recheck the pressure)Compared to a full sized spare, space savers are a very poor second and the goo is a very pathetic third which barely pays lip service to getting you where you need to be with the minimum of fuss.

By the way, in repair terms, even when the goo is properly applied, the repair isn't considered to be as safe as a professional repair. This is really saying something about the dubious benefits of using goo rather than using a tyre which is designed specifically for emergency use. Most people also know that new tyres should be run in in order to ensure that the mould release agents on the hitherto unused tyre are properly worn off. Another reason for running space savers as well as new tyres at 50mph.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought one of these on e-bay a couple of years ago,i just keep it in the back. I also have one i take with me when motorcycling ...just in case...they are pretty good and stop at the desired pressure.....don't forget a tyre filled with goo will not be repaired..very costly if it could have been....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hyfive-Portable-Electric-Tyre-Pump-12V-Travel-Air-Compressor-250Psi-/400651778543?hash=item5d48b4f9ef:g:JjoAAOSwVFlT5NPv

• Like 1

Hi ,if you wish to use the supplied pump on its own ,you can dismantle it and remove the bottle of sealant .I have done it with mine, the 2 halves of the plastic casing are held together with 10 small self tapping screws ;the bottle can be removed then the inlet and outlet hoses joined with a short length of metal pipe with two small jubilee clips ,and the whole thing fastened back together without the bottle ,its a bit of a faff but only took me 1/2 hour + bits from my junk box . For peace of mind on Continental trips I have bought a spare alloy off E bay ,it takes up a lot of the boot space but is not a problem as there are only 2 of us and I can put this in the car when the hood is down

Dave

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links