Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering vague and pulling?

DaKa

Love my new SC430 but clearly a few things to check.

One thing noticeable is that when cruising along a reasonable straight road, the car appears to wander by pulling either a bit left or right as if blown by a strong wind!

It reminds me of an old 850 mini that I used to own where the tyres were so thin they used to follow the camber in the road.

The front tyres do not match, so I have two brand new tyres to fit soon, together with new front discs and pads and this may well solve the problem.

However, I feel that it is probably either tracking, or, perhaps worn bushes/track rod ends? Having literally just passed an MOT end Mar it would have been something that I would expect to have been noticed if this were the case?

Does anyone have any suggestion here as the pull left or right (btw this does not happen under braking) is very disconcerting. I did read reports before buying the car that this was common and the other 2 test drives that I had on other similar models the steering also felt 'strange'. Is this something that I just have to get used to?

Thxs

If it doesnt happen under braking its most likely not the brakes so you can rule that one out.

Id probably say it is the alignment thats off. To check, just go on a straight road and let go of the steering wheel at slow speeds. It may go slightly to the left due to the camber in the road but it shouldn't go to the right and shouldnt go too much to the left.

It could be that the car is tramlining i.e following the contours of the road and this could be a result of the tires. It would be interesting to see if this disappears after you get the new tyres fitted.

Suspension might have some play in it too which could lead to the car moving around - again, something you need to get looked at just to make sure.

I had a local garage 'Queen's Park tyres, Billericay' fit 2 x new 245/40/18 supplied by me to the front yesterday.

Just £10 per tyre including balancing (awesome guys and service thoroughly recommended) tracking was checked for free and found to be spot on.

The results have been a massive improvement in steering that make the car feel really planted. Pads at the front were a little low and although discs were good, I will change them both in the next few weeks.

Didn't push it, but I was impressed with the grip when cornering on what are budget tyres. Makes me wonder why bother buying the expensive brands if you are not on a track!

Tyres make 'Invovic' (China made of course) are B/C rated 69db and the cost for 4 x delivered to my door was a staggering £162. 

I may put the other 2 x tyres on the rear, but the rears are brand new Haida, again I believe these are budget tyres?

I've got 4 new wheels that I'm refurbishing, so they will be fitted soon somewhere. Keeping 2 as spares in the garage perhaps with winter tyres and will be selling the other 2 so that another owner out there can do the same.

Glad to hear it's improved it. Can't say that I am a fan of budget tyres but if they work okay that's a hell of a saving against my purchase of 2 new rear tyres today 285 30 19 Continental £420

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links