Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1999 LS Occasional Starting Issue

This issue has only occurred twice, turn the key to start the car and nothing happen. The radio works ect but no starter motor at all.

After the first time of non starting (although on the third turn of the key it did start fine and I drove straight to a car parts place) I replaced the Battery as I assumed it was the issue . The one in the car looked old. 

The day before the buttons on the key wound not unlock the car, I used the key manually. After that the buttons worked perfectly and locked/unlocked the car. 

I thought they were separate issues and they still might be?

But day before last those same two issues happened again, one day after the other and now the car is fine.

So the Battery in the car is new. Would both issues be caused by the Battery in the key?

I have read about the ECU being an issue at some point post 15 years, what side is the ECU located? I have seen a picture of a LHD and it says its in the footwell and you have to remove the glove box. Does that mean its drivers side here?

Thoughts on what I can check other than those two things? I would like to know it will start first time every time. 

It could be many things and difficult to find the cause being so intermittent but there have been reports of ignition switch failure on the later LS400 model.

It was of course in park or neutral when it failed to start as I've occasional left mine in D and then got back in and tried to start it getting the same symptoms.

Well I have replaced the capacitors on the ECU as per the widely available instructions, the ecu was harder to remove than the picture suggested. Caps were 20 quid from USA but most of that was priority shipping and vat. None looked blown or leaky but I replaced all of them for future proofing. 

And replaced the Battery key, just in case. Lets see if it misbehaves again or not. 

On 4 May 2016 at 4:19 PM, montymayhem said:

Yes, both times in park.

Do you know, would the ignition switch failure be a part in the ignition assembly you would replace or would you replace the whole thing?  

The actual switch is attached to the bottom of the ignition lock and can be removed and replaced without disturbing the lock,basically cowling off, detach switch, unplug loom and reverse fit new one.

• Like 1

On 7 May 2016 at 4:09 PM, steve2006 said:

The actual switch is attached to the bottom of the ignition lock and can be removed and replaced without disturbing the lock,basically cowling off, detach switch, unplug loom and reverse fit new one.

I will replace that next if I have the issue again. Is this the part eBay that you refer to?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links