Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid upgrade

I was tootling along the other day and I thought to myself "I wonder if it would be possible to upgrade the Battery to one with higher capacity so it switches over to ev mode more". 

A quick Google shows that it's possible to convert to a plug in on the Prius. http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-transportation/converting-your-prius-or-other-hybrid-into-a-plug-in-electric.aspx

could such a thing be possible in the IS?

Yes, the same systems have been used on Lexus vehicles as well - the odd RX400h has been converted. In theory it should be possible on the IS, but their Battery packs are designed to be installed in the Prius and therefore may not fit correctly.

This system doesn't modify the existing hybrid system, it just presents a fully changed Battery to the system so it can run on EV longer. It doesn't improve the maximum speed that EV works at etc. etc.

http://www.enginer.us

Just emailed them to see if there's any problems fitting to a lex and also if they have any Europe resellers. 

I'll definitely go ahead if there's no major issues. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the link. 

• Like 1

Of course be aware that the car will not be covered under warranty if you choose to get this done.

Not a risk Id be willing to take to be honest with you.

Looks good be interested to know how it goes if you went for it. Does anyone know capacity of the "stock" hybrid Battery. Been googling but can't find the answer. Just trying to gauge how much 8kwh is!

The Battery in the IS300H is only about 1.6kWh, and it's likely only 1kWh is usable. Compared to a 'proper' EV it's pretty much useless, the latest Leaf has well over 28kWh, latest i3 has close to 30kWh, and Tesla are just about to release a 100kWh pack car. A Mitsubishi PHEV has 8kWh of usable power, and a Prius PHEV about 4 kWh.

Unfortunately PHEV are simply not as efficient as proper EVs, my Leaf will get 4 miles per kWh easily, a Tesla 3.5 miles per kWh. This compares 1-2 miles per kWh in a Mitsubishi PHEV, in real life some PHEV owners apparently report less than 10 miles of EV range!!!

The best 'upgrade' that can be done to the hybrid system on the IS300H is to change the cells to Lithium-ion pack which should be lighter than the standard Battery pack, but to be honest given we are talking about a sub 2kWh pack the weight saving will be minimal. An aftermarket add-on will simply add weight and increase chance of component failure. 

Hopefully Lexus will produce a PHEV or even proper EV of it's own sooner rather than later. 

On 05/05/2016 at 5:54 PM, rayaans said:

Of course be aware that the car will not be covered under warranty if you choose to get this done.

Not a risk Id be willing to take to be honest with you.

Lexus have confirmed they wouldn't even attempt the mod, let alone support it (which I guessed would be the case).

job itself I could potentially do my self, but I've got a good friend to support if I go ahead with it. My warranty's up soon so I've got to weigh up whether to purchase an extended warranty (how much are these incidently?) or go balls out and fit the mod. Seems to work pretty well on the prius, so I've no reason to suspect there isn't a good (although potentially marginal) benefit.

If i'm correct, the strain on the existing Battery shouldn't be an issue as the circuit looks as though it complements the Battery rather than suppliments it. Although I haven't checked the installation in full yet. If it's the case that the additional Battery puts any strain whatsever on the existing circuit, then I'll step away.

How much is the kit?? Looking at the link it increased the efficiency by 10mpg. Going from 40 to 50mpg will only save you £200 a year on fule assuming 10k a year. 

If your doing it for fun go for it, but if you just want a better EV experience I would reccomend selling the Lexus and getting one of the many different proper EVs that are now around....

If you really want to mess around with the traction Battery have a look at the website below. These guys are Uk based, the owner of the website has converted a RX-8 into a full EV, and they do lots of mods for Leafs etc.

http://www.indra.co.uk

Truth be told I just like tinkering :) have yet had an experiment blow up in my face (touch wood). Though I am thinking about buying an old Prius to fart around on now. Maybe if the tech improves and I can successfully not knacker the Prius I may well dive in after 5-6 years of ownership. 

• Like 1

^^ From the tone of your post I thought as much :)

Cannot blame you, personally I think if Lexus made the IS300H a full blown EV that would be amazing.

If you do go ahead let us know how you get on!!