Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A heads on cleaning interior glass!

Have you ever cleaned interior glass with a normal microfiber and realised there's always some form of smear left behind? I have and it drives me nuts!

Ive used a lot of glass cleaners all with the same, and then different microfiber cloths. Some are obviously better than others at stopping the smearing but they all do it to some extent.

So, the worst for smearing is "Astonish Glass cleaner with Anti Fog". Its so bad it almost makes you blind in the sunlight!

Well anyway, I picked up a "CleanIt Ultra Glass polishing cloth" from Home Bargains for 39p or something and used a normal microfiber to apply the Astonish glass cleaner. It left so many smears even after 5 minutes on one glass!!

Pulled the Home bargains glass cloth out and gave it a quick buff and voila! Smears are gone! Highly recommend it and its made my glass cleaning routine much easier and faster!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Ever tried Newspaper? you will be surprised. Mike.

1 hour ago, steveledzep said:

Yes, I use scrunched newspaper for the final buff.  Gets rid of the smears.

Doesnt work with this astonish glass cleaner stuff. Seems to just spread the smears around.

Any advice about reaching the awkward extremities when cleaning the inside of the 300h's rear window?

I have an Invisible Glass Reach & Clean pivot-head stick and another similar but smaller device whose brand-name I don't remember.  Both

work quite well but leave untouched areas particularly along the bottom edge of the window.  These I try to reach with a mf cloth wrapped

around a thin piece of stiff cardboard, not always satisfactorily.

On 08/05/2016 at 6:49 PM, steveledzep said:

Astonish from Home Bargains is cheap, maybe that's your problem.

It may be that you're using the wrong newspaper, have you tried The Times ? :wink1:

Does it with all glass cleaners tbh not just the astonish. Turns out that newspaper seems to leave residue on the glass so prefer using microfibers and this new glass cloth!! I love it!

16 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Any advice about reaching the awkward extremities when cleaning the inside of the 300h's rear window?

I have an Invisible Glass Reach & Clean pivot-head stick and another similar but smaller device whose brand-name I don't remember.  Both

work quite well but leave untouched areas particularly along the bottom edge of the window.  These I try to reach with a mf cloth wrapped

around a thin piece of stiff cardboard, not always satisfactorily.

I've never had an issue just getting my hand there really.

Good for you, Rayaan, if your hands can reach all the inside surfaces.  I wish mine could.  Personally, I find the angle of the glass is such as to

require the skills of a contortionist (which I am not) in order to keep up an adequate and uniform pressure when wiping, and this is why, to my

irritation, I need to use a gadget like the Invisible Glass stick to get anything like a satisfactory and by no means effort-free result.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2016 at 6:49 PM, steveledzep said:

It may be that you're using the wrong newspaper, have you tried The Times ? :wink1:

Made me laugh that did. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Since switching the HG car windscreen cleaner I have not had any problems.  It flashes off really well so doesn't seem to smear. I use a Dodo Juice mint merkin cloth these days but also found the cheap Kent glass cloths pretty good.

I have yet to clean the rear screen and cant say Im looking forward to it but will remove the head rests as it makes sense now you mention it.

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 3:06 PM, rayaans said:

Have you ever cleaned interior glass with a normal microfiber and realised there's always some form of smear left behind? I have and it drives me nuts!

Ive used a lot of glass cleaners all with the same, and then different microfiber cloths. Some are obviously better than others at stopping the smearing but they all do it to some extent.

So, the worst for smearing is "Astonish Glass cleaner with Anti Fog". Its so bad it almost makes you blind in the sunlight!

Well anyway, I picked up a "CleanIt Ultra Glass polishing cloth" from Home Bargains for 39p or something and used a normal microfiber to apply the Astonish glass cleaner. It left so many smears even after 5 minutes on one glass!!

Pulled the Home bargains glass cloth out and gave it a quick buff and voila! Smears are gone! Highly recommend it and its made my glass cleaning routine much easier and faster!

I have more glass cleaners than I can shake a stick at, never been happy with the finish and have always caught smears in the sun, looks like its a trip to Home Bargains for the Mrs next time shes in town to get me one, to help her find them what colour are these cloths? Thanks

50 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

I have more glass cleaners than I can shake a stick at, never been happy with the finish and have always caught smears in the sun, looks like its a trip to Home Bargains for the Mrs next time shes in town to get me one, to help her find them what colour are these cloths? Thanks

They were blue, however last time I went, I couldnt see them. 

Instead they'ev got some different glass cloths which are a light shade of orange. 

Ive found that standard MFs never work - they always leave smears

1 minute ago, rayaans said:

They were blue, however last time I went, I couldnt see them. 

Instead they'ev got some different glass cloths which are a light shade of orange. 

Ive found that standard MFs never work - they always leave smears

Thanks, she wants to nip into town tomorrow anyway apparently so will use this as an excuse to "just nip in and take a look" if they don't keep them anymore may try these http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21726/Lakeland-Home-Glass-Polishing-Microfibre-Cloth quite a lot more expensive but Lakeland stuff is usually very good and only 10 minutes drive from Kendal where I live

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steveledzep said:

As I said earlier in the thread.......scrunched up newspaper is best at removing smears after you've used the cleaning product.  Old fashioned, but just works.

I don't read a newspaper though so this would just make my weekly routine hard work going out and buying newspapers as and when required much easier to just have a dedicated colour coded cloth to work with. I have previously tried newspaper years ago and didn't really rate it, I'm sure its down to technique though as I have heard about news paper for years

1 hour ago, dougie175 said:

I don't read a newspaper though so this would just make my weekly routine hard work going out and buying newspapers as and when required much easier to just have a dedicated colour coded cloth to work with. I have previously tried newspaper years ago and didn't really rate it, I'm sure its down to technique though as I have heard about news paper for years

Another little task for your wife then.....it's good to keep them busy, point her at the racks when leaving the supermarket, loads of free newspapers, and no need to read them.

Happy to help.

12 hours ago, steveledzep said:

As I said earlier in the thread.......scrunched up newspaper is best at removing smears after you've used the cleaning product.  Old fashioned, but just works.

As I don't buy papers but look at the news online, would it work if I scrunched up my PC and used that?  Believe me, I'd love to scrunch up my PC!!

5 hours ago, dougie175 said:

Agreed, newspaper doesn't work - it still leaves smears when looking through the glass albeit only in sunny conditions

And sometimes you end up with black fingers

20 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Agreed, newspaper doesn't work - it still leaves smears when looking through the glass albeit only in sunny conditions

On The Times that I use newspaper I can see The Sun without smears and The Star(s) too through a Mirror like finish.  You're clearly not scrunching it properly :laughing:

Picked up one of these 39p badboys, seems ridiculously cheap compared to all other glass cleaning cloths I have seen but fingers crossed it works!

So cleaned my glass with some Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner until the glass looked perfectly clean like usual, then I polished the glass with this new cloth as instructed, fingers crossed this is the finishing touch my glass has been missing when the sun catches the glass on the awful angle that usually produces glare

Thanks very much for tip Rayaan

597666ea92c5c_2017-06-1113_02_31.thumb.jpg.3879de6dae8dc85ba0c345e27d548322.jpg

• Like 1