Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

i don't own one (yet) but trying to get a idea of running costs (yes , I know they like a drink) what about new pads etc , any idea what a average cost ? What about servicing ? 

Cheers

jon

Stock tyre sizes are -

225/40/19 front
255/35/19 rear

A common upgrade size is - 

245/35/19 front
275/30/19 rear

A full set of Michelin Pilot Supersports in the upgrade size is around £730 exc fitting. 

I've averaged 19.34mpg across the 2200 or so miles in my first 3 months of ownership on V Power.

brake pads are pretty pricey (£300 for a front set iirc) from a main dealer but better third party pads are available. I'll be looking to change mins in a few months as the stock ones are stupidly dusty.

Main dealer service prices can be found here - http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/#Overview

I got a discount from my local dealer when I purchased 3 years of services in a pack, saved me around £500 compared to the standard price  

Servicing at Lexus dealer will set you back £295 for an intermediate, £545 for a full, £895 for the full + 60k mile one and £695 for the full +100k mile one.

You should be able to get a discount from these prices though as they are the Capped prices that Lexus UK set. You should be able to get 5-10%, sometimes more but its entirely dealer dependent.

Fronts are about £130 and rears around £120. Odd that the rears are actually cheaper sometimes dependent on tyre.

2 minutes ago, GibletPH said:

Stock tyre sizes are -

225/40/19 front
255/35/19 rear

A common upgrade size is - 

245/35/19 front
275/30/19 rear

A full set of Michelin Pilot Supersports in the upgrade size is around £730 exc fitting. 

I've averaged 19.34mpg across the 2200 or so miles in my first 3 months of ownership on V Power.

Brake pads are pretty pricey (£300 for a front set iirc) from a main dealer but better third party pads are available. I'll be looking to change mins in a few months as the stock ones are stupidly dusty.

Main dealer service prices can be found here - http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/#Overview

I got a discount from my local dealer when I purchased 3 years of services in a pack, saved me around £500 compared to the standard price  

Can i ask , why the change in tyre profile when going to wider ones ??

You can get Brembro front pads from eurocarparts for £48 a set .

4 minutes ago, gumball3000 said:

Can i ask , why the change in tyre profile when going to wider ones ??

You can get Brembro front pads from eurocarparts for £48 a set .

The tyre sidewall is a ratio of the width, therefore if you go wider, to keep the same sidewall thickness, you have to go down in tyre profile number.

Also, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT are just as good as the Michelin Pilot Super Sports so no point wasting your money. Ran them both on another car and there was no noticeable difference but the Dunlops are quieter, the pilot sports tend to roar a bit.

17 minutes ago, rayaans said:

The tyre sidewall is a ratio of the width, therefore if you go wider, to keep the same sidewall thickness, you have to go down in tyre profile number.

Also, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT are just as good as the Michelin Pilot Super Sports so no point wasting your money. Ran them both on another car and there was no noticeable difference but the Dunlops are quieter, the pilot sports tend to roar a bit.

I thought you only changed the profile when you changed the size of the alloy wheel.

Shows what i know lol

11 minutes ago, gumball3000 said:

I always thought you only changed the sidewall size when you changed the alloy wheel size .To keep the rolling radius correct. The width of the tyre does not affect the rolling radius.

I didnt think the width had any bearing on how thick the sidewall is .

The width and sidewall thickness is related. The 35 or 40 you see on the tyre is the aspect ratio. Therefore if a tyre is 255/35 r19, it means its 255mm wide and the sidewall height is 35% of that width. Therefore a 225/40 r19 tyre has a 90mm sidewall thickness so 45mm on the bottom and 45mm on the top. A 255/35 tyre has a 89.25mm sidewall, so 44.6mm on top and 44.6mm on bottom. The idea is just to get the rolling radius of BOTH tyres to be the same. If the rear was on 255/40 it'd be out by a lot.

Either its that or Ive just gone completely crazy lol

27 minutes ago, jonthebarber said:

Hi

cheers for replys , seams to be a cheap(ish) car to run ........ Considering what a beast it is !!!

jon 

I would buy one had i over 20k in my pocket, I would want a 2010+ year

I had a dreadful experience with a CL55 AMG, a ISF is relatively maintenance free, as long as the service intervals have been looked after and the car checks out its a no brainer.

I would expect more than £120 for a tyre, I paid more than that for a rear tyre on my old IS250

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Driving my brothers XFR at the moment which has Sport Maxx RT tyres fitted so I'll see how I get on with them. 

37 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

I would buy one had i over 20k in my pocket, I would want a 2010+ year

I had a dreadful experience with a CL55 AMG, a ISF is relatively maintenance free, as long as the service intervals have been looked after and the car checks out its a no brainer.

I would expect more than £120 for a tyre, I paid more than that for a rear tyre on my old IS250

£130-150 seems to be the going rate for the tyres front and rear dependent on which ones you go for. The Dunlops are keenly priced and if you think about it, the IS250 and IS-F sizes aren't hugely different. My IS is on 255/35 r18 rear so exactly the same width and aspect ratio just different diameter rim. I think the 255/35 r19 is quite popular, hence cheaper than the front one.

I've a couple of old school mates that run a tyre company, prices will vary on sizes, prices become cheaper with more cars use that size, I've not had the pleasure of replacing mine yet, but I had a figure of £200 ish a corner in mind, running costs I've found to be between 18mpg and 24mpg, got 32mpg on a 700mile round trip run, but not an expensive car compared to a friends RS-5 who's typical mpg is 16mpg to 24mpg on runs, I opted to service outside Lexus, for my personal experiences with main dealers, my 60k with genuine Lexus parts was £475, oil alone is £140 as the car takes 10ltrs on a change, this is my 4th IS, never cost anything other than serviceable items, 

cant think of a better car to own,

Paul