Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all looking some help/info.

I am looking to start camping and have realized that it wont all fit in the boot, So started to look at Roof Racks and Tow Bars but none seem to be available.

There is a few forum posts from a number of years ago about Tow Bars but seem to be custom made and very expensive.

Has anyone come across this and can point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks Deet

Cheers for the response. Just contacted the seller and the part is not suitable for the 2nd Gen Gs300. They said that Lexus don't do/have discontinued roofbar for this model

I have been looking at getting s tow bar fitted myself 

it does not look promising at the moment 

If you get any information please post 

Good luck 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2016 at 0:32 PM, JimBobS said:
28 minutes ago, Old_Dude said:

Guys, i'm sure I have read somewhere recently that Towbars are a No No for the GS300, Lexus do not recommend towing anything with the GS300.

Think your right, I recall reading myself that very expensive adding a Tow Bar to 2nd Gen GS300 for towing due to having to add an Transmission Cooler. 

Im not looking to Tow a big trailer or caravan just something like a tow bar Box (think it is only able to hold 50Kg)  Just looking a little more storage

http://www.handiworld.com/handioffers/handiholdall-handirack-handiduffel-orange2.html

or 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-EasyBase-Carrier-Base-Bar-Mounted/dp/B001N3L47Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464644619&sr=8-2&keywords=towbar+box

Yeah, I think that the easy carrier is a good idea, it should be ok because you're not actually having to drag anything around with it's own drag factor and wheels.

But, whilst I think it looks ok and would possibly be ok to cope with 50 K, I am not massively technical, might be worth having a chat with some of the really clever people on here

When I ordered roof bars from Lexus for my gen 2 a few years back, when they arrived they had a pic of a gen 3 GS on the box. The parts guy said they were the right part for a gen 2. I was sceptical, and they definitely aren't, but although the feet are not a perfect match on the contour of the ridges on the roof line, they fit solid and never move.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

I'm fitting a tow -ar to a GS450h Mk4 (2012 - ). I couldn't find any supplier other than Lexus and I think there may be problems with insurance and something like "type approval "for non Lexus tow-bars. It cost a fortune. I managed a small discount to just over £800 by buying it when I purchased the car last year. They wanted £400 for fitting so I'm doing it myself. Huge complicated and inelegant, over-engineered design. Weighs 80kg and is likely to reduce my 0-60 by 0.2s making it more than 6s :sad:

The fitting instructions, which one can find in the Lexus Portal do not say anything about an oil cooler but I'm only towing a little rowing dinghy so I don't think it will be a problem.

Good luck with finding a solution Deet27

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a towbar fitted to my 01 GS430 just over a month ago at David Murphy just outside Belfast.  It was expensive because it needed imported from Belgium, £450 fitted I think for a standard bar.  I went for a detachable with the 2nd grey electric socket and it cost over £500.  I towed a large caravan with an 98 GS300 for years with no problem and hope the 430 will be the same.  My parents have towed a caravan for about 7 years now with their LS400 and have had no problems. 

I emailed Lexus UK when I had the towbar fitted to the GS300

"Dear Mr Savage.

Thank you for your email to Lexus GB Ltd.

Yes, Mr Savage your vehicle should be fine. When the tow bar is fitted,

your vehicle will be capable of towing a maximum load of 1,500 kg. There is

also an additional upgrade kit that will allow you to tow a greater load if

needed which would allow a maximum tow load of 2000 kg.

I hope this is of some help to you and if I can be of any further

assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Tyronne Springer

Lexus Customer Account Manager

0845 278 8888"

Here's a link from when I was having the towbar fitted to the GS300