Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash Cams - Front and Rear

Hi

Has anyone fitted front and rear facing dash cams to their CT200

I would prefer to fit one I idin't have to remove after each trip.

Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Thanks

I have...

A standard one in the front, and one of those dinky stick on ones at the back...

I installed a Blackvue DR 650 front and rear setup in my IS. Wired it up to run thru a power monitor which switches them off if the 12v goes below a certain voltage. Hid all the cables easily and as the cameras are small, you hardly notice them.

37 minutes ago, C Mclean said:

I installed a Blackvue DR 650 front and rear setup in my IS. Wired it up to run thru a power monitor which switches them off if the 12v goes below a certain voltage. Hid all the cables easily and as the cameras are small, you hardly notice them.

Very discrete! I've admired your car a few times when passing your house (I live a few streets along) and never realised you had dash cams installed. 

"If you want a closer look at them and how they are wired, just give me a knock if the car is outside"
Now that's what I call a really helpful neighbour. Good on you Colin.

I've got front and rear Panorama X2's fitted in my IS. Wouldn't be without 'em now!

• Like 1

This topic came just in time for me - was looking for good Front + Rear dashcam with 2 main focuses - quality of video and discreet looking. Don't want any bulky, flashy, toy looking monster which looks like it is about to transform to Megatron.

Really, the only difference between expensive and cheap systems are low light quality. In the bright daylight even £20 camera will provide decent video quality. I have identified some potential candidates however still struggling to commit ~£200 on decent camera.

So far have tried several apps on smartphones, but there are several issues with using smartphone as DVR. Have used spare Samsung Galaxy S2/S5 for this purpose (1080p@60fps and as well capable of taking 720p@30fps on secondary camera/ S5 can do 4k@30fps front and 1080p@30fps rear simultaneously). Not exactly F+R, but if well positioned can show quite a lot of details from the rear. Video quality is excellent and can as well be used as GPS and even ODB2 display at the same time while recording. The problems starts with DVR apps - none of apps can take full resolution video phones are capable of, nor use the feature of simultaneous recording, furthermore the are impacting otherwise excellent video quality. Even without these issues, phones are not exactly good for longer trips - camera sensors starts overheating after 30 minutes. Finally, the biggest issue of all - they need to be removed after trip and hidden somewhere, then again set-up before driving -> that is main deal breaker.

So that said was looking to discrete looking DVR system which can be let in the car (some even have parking mode - so you can see who bumped in you car while parked... or "key-ed" it). Few cameras not mentioned herefor your interest:

• KOONLUNG K1S - looks complicated, but what is really left visible are 2 little cameras which kind of the point. Video quality is very good (based on few reviews).
  • VicoVation Marcus 5 dual - one of the best video quality, however expensive and the front camera rather big.
  • Thinkware F750 - one of the best built quality (parking more and many more extras).
  • I know BlackVue is one of decent options, thought mixed reviews.

Would be interesting to know if anyone have installed any of above, or have any other recommended options.

The other thing to be weary of with cheap cameras is the interference they give off.Especially cameras from abroad that may not be CE approved even though they are marked as being so.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a Rexing V series camera in my CT. Front facing only but has many features. Easy to install & playback quality is excellent. Good support also from Rexing if required.

Cost £40 from amazon.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links