Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi I have an 07 plate is220d which to be fair has had very little problems.

A month ago it was sluggish, to the point of dangerous, pulling away in 1st gear.  Then the VSC light came on and the AA said blocked DPF.  I had the DPF chemically cleaned but still sluggish.

I had the EGR cleaned and the inlet manifold, still sluggish, I even swapped the MAF sensor with a friend who has a Toyota, still useless.

I then thought back to the old days and decided that if it was years ago I would have suspected a loose throttle cable or linkage, but this car is drive by wire.

I decided that it might be a faulty or dirty accelerator potentiometer, I sprayed it with a good dose of electrical contact clener whilst pushing the pedal with my hand.

I don't know whether this is a permanent cure, but I can honestly say the car runs better than it has done for years, the fuel consumption has improved only slightly but I can live with that.

Give it a try it might work for you.

Pluffy

• Like 2

Nice one.

Incidentally, could you tell us how many miles you car has and what state the manifold was in before you cleaned it?

I am curious cause I have seen a few people on this forum recently that have loads of gunk in the manifold, so was wondering if this is something we should consider along with cleaning EGR valves, etc..

I was told by the garage that the manifold was quite sooted up, as would be expected on a car thats done 70k and mever been cleaned.

It wouldnt do any harm to change the air and fuel filter for all that they would cost (if they haven't been done in a while). I also would recommend lots of hard acceleration and high revs (once rolling) for a few weeks to see if it makes any difference. I honestly think my 220d goes well and I think they do not like being driven easy.

They had been done so spraying the potentiometer was the last resort before Lexus had a go, fortunately it is now working teally well.

• 3 years later...

I have just bought one, nice comfy car but nothing doing below 2700 rpm, replaced a very dirty air filter, and got the oil half way up the dip stick and now picking up power above 1900 rpm bit still dangerous to drive. How do you get to the pedel box?

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Thanks for this useful information. I have got the same car but couldn't figure out where the accelerator potentiometer is. I have done the EGR cleaning, still this bit to be done on my car as it shows the same symptoms.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links