Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

paint restoring leather seats

My fronts are now beginning to split but don't fancy DIY, you can buy kits containing the dye and filler from the usual on line companies like eBay and amazon.

I'm looking at a local company at around £100.00 a seat.

The DIY kits would be quite difficult to use on perforated IS250 seats...

I have chosen black interior knowing that on used car it is not going to look much better and will be easier to maintain. Even when it comes to like dying some small scratches or cracks black leather always easier to do. 

Unfortunately, I cannot point to specific product as don't have much experience using them, but the principle is as in the video below...filling, sanding, filling sanding, applying dye, polishing... and repeating again.

I have been watching youtube videos and it doesn't look too difficult job. Much easier than body work.

But knowing I have the right stuff so I do not do it again. And color matching is difficult part as well. I also do not have a compressor nor intending to buy one soon.

Black seats become shiney and they look ugly because of it. But having owned black interior vs beige... Beige looks so much better and welcoming. Obvious down side is that color wears off.

Good quality brush means - that bristles doesn't fall of. I am nor sure if air brushes are any good for such job (I am not expert thought).. that is because you want paint to get deep into the material. Differently from painting hard surfaces, you don't need to make very thin layer of paint, but you want to work the dye in the material. The leather dye will get in both leather and the filler, it won't stay on top, so basically there is no difference how to apply it. Actually majority of the kits comes with sponge... 

I guess I agree that the biggest problem is to match the colour of the paint here, not that difficult to apply it after that.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a few videos and notice people use sponge but one company used sponge for base coat then used airbrush. I think airbrush spray finish will be better 

So I went ahead and bought an air brush and leather repair kit. Never used airbrush before so will see how it works. I will use air can as I do not have a compressor. And I will learn about paint matching. 

Would I couldnt figure out if the leather is beige or cream... 

Yeah I will share the results if it works out. Doesnt need a degree to do it so I guess I will practice first.

The concerns are:

Color matching

Folding/ wrinkle of leather. Which means it needs more foam and shaping. The previous owner must have had a big bum or sitting near the edge. I do not think I can fix that as I cannot unstich and do the upholstery work. Unless someone here says it is a DIY as well.