Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Converted to an NX

Traded in my IS300h for this NX and picked it up yesterday. Now to get all the settings sorted, cameras installed etc, then it's going in for the paintwork treatment on Tuesday. I reckon I'll need to buy a stool so I can reach the roof when washing it..

image.jpeg

Very nice, much as I enjoyed my IS I prefer the NX. What paint treatment are you going for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, DJP said:

Very nice, much as I enjoyed my IS I prefer the NX. What paint treatment are you going for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's called Gyeon, not exactly sure which one as I accidentally deleted the mail from the detailer. I had this kind of treatment on the IS and found it very good, long lasting shine and very slippery feeling to the paintwork.

Hi, Colin and David and other IS-to-NX converts out there.   Strange how opinions vary.  I just had an NX300h Luxury for two days as a courtesy

car and did about 450km in it on a variety of roads.  While appreciating the NX's many merits as a posh compact SUV - and its unmistakeable

identity as a Lexus - not to mention the fact that my ageing bones didn't creak upon getting in and out like they do with the IS, I was frankly

disappointed with the quality of the ride over road surfaces that were less than good, any bumps and pot-holes appearing to be magnified.

Also, I got an overall consumption of 13.8km/l (= about 39mpg), which my dealer surprisingly tells me is better than average but is at least

15% less than I customarily manage in the IS.   Be all this as it may, I guess the NX is the sort of car that improves with longer acquaintance,

and sincerely hope you continue to enjoy yours.

• Like 1

I'm slightly confused, some say a semi permanent state for me, when you say your ageing bones weren't creaking on exit as they normally do with the IS. That would suggest the quality of the ride is better not worse than the IS?

Re the mpg, I'm 7000 in from end Sept to now (i.e. colder months) and mine is overall exactly 35. My driving pattern 90% of the time are journeys of less than 3 miles, 5 times a day, so ugly from an mpg perspective. That's 10% less than I was getting in the IS. Considering the additional weight and less aerodynamic shape I'm very pleased.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

For me, the aging bones thing is getting in and out rather than the seat comfort. A while back I sat in a BMW i8 and getting out of it must have looked like a comedy sketch, next in line is my sons GT86 followed by the IS. But basically most SUV's are much easier on the contortionist skills than most standard saloons. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJP said:

I'm slightly confused, some say a semi permanent state for me, when you say your ageing bones weren't creaking on exit as they normally do with the IS. That would suggest the quality of the ride is better not worse than the IS?

David:  

Colin's post above precisely explains my osteological issues with the IS.   These have nothing to do with ride quality or seat comfort but derive

specifically from my growing personal inability to concertina myself into the posture represented, realistically enough, by the Lexus stick-figure

icon on the climate-control screen.  The relative spaciousness of the NX's cabin was therefore very pleasing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

David:  

Colin's post above precisely explains my osteological issues with the IS.   These have nothing to do with ride quality or seat comfort but derive

specifically from my growing personal inability to concertina myself into the posture represented, realistically enough, by the Lexus stick-figure

icon on the climate-control screen.  The relative spaciousness of the NX's cabin was therefore very pleasing. 

If I had read your original post properly (which I normally avidly do :smile:) I would have avoided my state of confusion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone says the NX is bumpy.  I find the ride no bumpier than any other car I have taken on the same routes. I an not saying anyone is wrong, just that I don't notice the bumps.  Maybe its because this is my first Lexus and have no other Lexus to compare it to.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm not an IS to NX convert, I'm actually an RC to NX convert. Although the RC is a lovely car, it soon became obvious that it was not the car for me. After much agonising I rang the dealer (Lexus Cardiff) and explained my predicament. They were absolutely brilliant, they not only took my RC back, but they also sold me an NX and the cost to change was negligible. The NX for me, is brilliant. Suits my needs very well, very comfortable and extremely quiet. So glad I made the change.

• Like 1

This post has come alive again and I am also IS to NX; it is notable, as mentioned above, that in practice you can move from one to the other (assuming the IS is a few years old) with barely any rise in monthly cost right now. That probably won't always be the case. 

In my case, the one thing I still find I definitely miss is the IS' turning circle. I expected this but it is still there as a point. 

One other minor thing is that an SUV is fundamentally a hatchback and thus it is worth getting the equipment to keep things stationary on the boot (I have the cargo net).

Other than that, I can't think of anything. 

It took me personally a long time to get the seat right in the NX, but I am there now. I'd say it was also 500 miles or so before I was really comfortable driving it - the whole thing is of course quite different and thus the usual roads require markedly different techniques. (It is perhaps noteworthy here also that I went IS Lux to NX F-Sport). 

For me, major gains include the interior (it oozes quality throughout - I liked the IS too but didn't like the lower centre); the adaptive cruise control is brilliant once you get used to how it works; and the boot carries a lot more. I think the back-seat passengers are spoiled a bit more too. I personally also find the storage easier in the NX, though that may vary.

There are also minor further advantages to the NX which may in due course be added to the IS, such as locking/unlocking via any door. 

All in all, two good cars, but for me the NX is a touch classier and has a bit more kit. 

• Like 1

Bernard - I personally don't really notice it at all. As I mentioned elsewhere, there is one hill on a motorway near where I live (the A8(M) north of Belfast) where I noted the IS was faster, but the NX is still fast enough (and actually people get out of its way more quickly!)

That said, I am not personally a fast driver - really, I'm with Lexus for the comfort. So people who really enjoy driving may prefer the IS (and, as I noted above, the turning circle is an issue), but frankly I don't think many would really notice once they got used to the NX. 

This is my fourth Lexus

A

GS300 in 1999

SC430 in 2004

CT200h in 2016

NX300h in 2017

and it's my favourite Lexus to date.

Not as stylish as the GS300 or the SC430 but an all round great car.

Very few things I don't like apart from having to fit a SatNav in a Luxury model.

I'm now retired so I'm not rushing everywhere and I don't need speed off the mark but for a heavy car it's no slouch.