Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3Seen various techniques on YouTube for clearing misted headlights using normal household stuff so I thought I'd have a go just to see if there's any truth in what they say. A popular choice is the toothpaste method so I thought I'd give that a go. Smeared it all over the glass and used a mouse sander with a microfiber mitten over it instead of using elbow grease. Between passes over the glass I sprayed water over the glass as well. Wiping clean a couple of times and reapplying windolene cream and repeating. The result was pretty impressive as the pictures should show. I just need to pick up some car wax and give them a buff to help seal them. OK,  it might not last forever but it didn't take long and I didn't have to go and buy anything, so the total cost was £0.

20160527_145333.jpg

20160527_154906.jpg

20160527_154916.jpg

42 minutes ago, lex - eleven said:

Colgate whitening 8f1d3a994ba80467b9a695920e3b832b.jpgemoji1.png

adventure before dementia

I`d have used Sterodent !!! (You`ll wonder where the yellow went...............)

Looks good Mark.

Lots of advice on Mercedes Forums and Youtube of course.

Regards

John

21 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I`d have used Sterodent !!! (You`ll wonder where the yellow went...............)

Looks good Mark.

Lots of advice on Mercedes Forums and Youtube of course.

Regards

John

Not wanting to show my age but it was Pepsodent that enabled you to wonder where the yellow went!  I used mettalic paint T-cut on mine, worked well although they weren't too bad anyway.  Better results than the kit that I wasted £25 on last year.  I think when they've been polished it is necessary to do them again from time to time as it removes the original coating.

2 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Not wanting to show my age but it was Pepsodent that enabled you to wonder where the yellow went!  I used mettalic paint T-cut on mine, worked well although they weren't too bad anyway.  Better results than the kit that I wasted £25 on last year.  I think when they've been polished it is necessary to do them again from time to time as it removes the original coating.

But you are showing your age Phil.....and you are correct,it was indeed Pepsodent.

I`m drinking too much Rioja here in sunny Spain!!

Regards

John

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

But you are showing your age Phil.....and you are correct,it was indeed Pepsodent.

I`m drinking too much Rioja here in sunny Spain!!

Regards

John

Just rub it in why don't you, Rioja being my favourite wine!  Anyway, I'm sitting here in sunny Sussex with a bottle of Prosecco and a bar of chocolate after our takeaway curry.  Not as good, but not too bad. Hope you're having a fab time.

Cost £0? Ah, I see....the fact that your WIFE does the shopping means toothpaste and Windolene somehow are 'free'!

As is the slap around the head when she looks and there's no toothpaste  for her to use?

.......  ask your local bodyshop repair guys, there's a product they professionally use that's about £22 that does both headlamp settings and more or less lasts forever ( they say ).

The repair shop might charge you £80 to do the job using this product !

But I don't know it's name

Malc

I've done a headlight clean on my BMW 530d a few months ago and went the labour intensive way.

Started with 400 wet n dry and working my way up to 2500. Then machine polish with a light compound, then hyper polish and finished off with Autoglym Super Resin Polish as this has a UV block. Only cost me electricity as had everything in 'stock' :)

Results were pretty awesome really (forgot to take a 'pre' picture of driver's side headlight, but it was slightly worse than the passenger side shown)

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

18 minutes ago, lex - eleven said:

£80....I think I'll stick to the Colgate!

adventure before dementia

Or maybe just buy the kit !

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links