Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I must first of all say the German Company who dismantled a 2007 LS460 for spares and advertised the spares on E Bay really do sell some quality bits.  Normally there is always a risk on trim items and scratches etc are not uncommon.  This wheel though was in great shape. I bought the wood leather steering wheel in Grey and with the correct colour wood sections for only £200 after I made an offer on it.  I had it saved  in my watch list for a few weeks before deciding to offer on it.   It arrived in two days.   Not bothered that I won't be able to use the heated rim but I knew that before I considered swapping the wheel.

Ever since I bought my 460 I thought how much better it would look to have the wood/leather wheel but they are not a common part second hand and I hadn't seen any listed in the UK for sale on E Bay. The wheel had no fittings, air bag or switches, just the bare wheel. 

When I asked my local Lexus dealer to swap it over they simple said no chance.  We only fit new parts they said smugly so I rang Lexus Carlisle where I purchased the car and asked them if they had a problem swapping over a genuine Lexus used part.    No problem at all they said, when would you like to bring your car in.  Nothing really to do with buying the car there I don't think, just a firm who wanted to help and earn a bit of labour. Although 140 miles away from Leeds it was something I considered. After all I have my service plan with them. 

However I decided to fit the wheel myself, what's the main issue to think about?, the air bag of course but having removed my driver's seat (side air bag) and followed some basic precautions about disconnecting the battery I thought the steering wheel would be a very basic and purely mechanical operation to carry out.   

It took 30 mins in all to swap it over after removing the air bag and releasing the centre nut.  I bought a universal puller for £14 from Machine Mart knowing the wheel was unlikely to come free easily.  I was proved right.  Without that puller it would have been impossible such was the loud crack I heard after the splined taper finally gave up.  From there it was a few screws to transfer the wheel's switch packs and refit the wheel back.   No warning lights because the Battery was disconnected and left for 20 mins to allow for any discharge. This is crucial to avoid the possible detonation of the air bag when unplugging the 2 wires at the back of it.   All in all a nice job to do and makes the interior that bit smarter.       

001 (12).JPG

001 (13).JPG

002 (8).JPG

001 (14).JPG

That wheel really looks the part Steve. Some time back I changed my steering wheel for a half-wood rimmed one on my mk4 LS400. It really does make the cabin a bit classier. I bought mine from a breakers for around £50 (plus delivery) about a year ago. I couldn't believe the price they wanted! Having seen the prices on eBay I snapped it up. Like you, I took precautions regarding the air-bag's potential to 'detonate', so to speak. I didn't need a puller though, I just yanked the old wheel very hard once the nut was off and it broke free of the splines.

Steve - SH20 Wheel looks Great - but you've gone and made me spend again!!

If I hadn't seen your thread when I got back home, I'd probably not have looked again on US bay where I saw the other day a  LS430 wheel up for grabs that I would draw to someones attention.

Well I bought the below which looks to be a bargain. Works out at £154. (What you said Brian was inevitably going to happen!!)

I've got a bit  of a habit of changing steering wheels as you can see from the attached couple of old Mercs. Not going to attempt to change it myself as an eighteen inch breaker bar was needed for the Mercs.  It'll join the list of things to be done -by someone else!

S500%20sec_zps0bfkm0ne.jpg

merc5.jpg

S500%20sec_zps0bfkm0ne.jpg

I really like that LS400 wheel you have just purchased Stuart as well as the Merc wheels.   Were the Merc wheels original steering wheels as an option or were they bought as an     after market accessory?.    Like you I use E Bay all the time as my first option if I'm looking for something specific.   I was told a new wood/leather steering wheel for a 460 was £1200 plus vat plus fitting.  No wonder E Bay is so successful, the prices just can't be beaten especially if the seller is using make an offer as a means to a quicker sale.   

I think they were both aftermarket Steve but the smaller had a Mercedes Boss and was blue and black leather when I bought it. Sprayed part of the leather  Smoke Silver to match car colour.  Both bought on the bay for under £50 each from memory.

Just need a Lexus Logo to match the imprint on my Air Bag.  

14 hours ago, SH20 said:

I was told a new wood/leather steering wheel for a 460 was £1200 plus vat plus fitting.

...............  just bizarre the cost of bits and bobs on these ( or most ) cars !

My whole Ls400 cost me just £1400 5 years ago with Full Lexus Service History and 126k miles ..............  the value of these cars eh!

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links