Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just put a deposit on a ls. The old girl needs a few things sorting.  Main thing is there's no sound from stereo. It says audio on the sat nav screen but no sound. Could it be the amp.  When I viewed it had a flat Battery  as the car hasn't been used for a while. I'm not sure if the radio played up when the car was in regular use. Also it needs air con top  up (hopefully).and the rear bumper sorting . Drove very nice though

1 hour ago, Chasdad said:

I've just put a deposit on a ls. The old girl needs a few things sorting.  Main thing is there's no sound from stereo. It says audio on the sat nav screen but no sound. Could it be the amp.  When I viewed it had a flat battery  as the car hasn't been used for a while. I'm not sure if the radio played up when the car was in regular use. Also it needs air con top  up (hopefully).and the rear bumper sorting . Drove very nice though

We look forward to the photos!  The amp is a common-ish problem, and rear air con pipe corrosion is a possibility for it not blowing cold, but you can always have the rear capped off if that's the case.  Hope it works out well for you. 

Any idea how to cap it off. Needs a bit of work   .in silver with the creamy beige leather. 91k miles . Any idea how I can tell it's the amp without just buying another

44 minutes ago, Chasdad said:

Any idea how to cap it off. Needs a bit of work   .in silver with the creamy beige leather. 91k miles . Any idea how I can tell it's the amp without just buying another

Have a chat with Mark (cruisermark) he had a problem with his amp so he's more likely to give you some info.  If you do a search on this forum you'll find some info from others who have had the rear capped off, it's nowhere near as involved as replacing the pipes.  It could of course be something different so you'll need to get the system checked for leaks, with my last one it was a duff compressor. 91K is good, what year?  Do the steering wheel motors work?

It's a 2000 .Yes steering wheel motors work. They've been replaced according to paperwork. If I get the bits done will be a nice car. Don't really want to lose the rear air con because I've read the fridge works off of it

Looks fab in that photo. In some ways it's nice to have a project, and it looks like you've got a good starting point.  Presumably when you went to see it it wasn't down on the rear end?  If not it's a good sign there's no suspension leak.

Is that how it should look. It's not running in the photo. I checked to see if it's going up and down when button was pressed. Do they raise on there own when you start them . Didn't check that. Got me worried now. 

18 minutes ago, Chasdad said:

Is that how it should look. It's not running in the photo. I checked to see if it's going up and down when button was pressed. Do they raise on there own when you start them . Didn't check that. Got me worried now. 

Don't worry it looks OK. Basically the pump kicks in for a few seconds whenever needed.  What I meant was, was it way down, which it isn't.  The amount of adjustment it makes in normal use wouldn't be noticeable.  

24 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

Fridge works in back! How cars have progressed! We can't possibly travel without chilled drinks available! Still, with the jams we get in UK, it's probably wise!

It took me ages to work out what you meant, then I realised you were talking about traffic jams and not preserves!  

I don't know why people call them fridges anyway, they're only coolers, although I did put the meat in on the way back from the butchers last week!

I watched it go up and down half a dozen times when I pressed the button. Had to use my phone as a rule so I could see it moving. My kids will be gutted to find out fridge doesn't work. This car seems to have everything are they all specced the same.

I'm wondering if I should try and knock a bit more off considering it seems as if it's going to be more than a top up

Always makes me smile when people sell cars with the " Aircon not working probably just needs a top up" when they probably know this is something more serious and it's going to cost money to fix.

If it does just need a top up personally I would pay the £40-50 to have it done and then sell the car described as " Aircon recently recharged, tested with no leaks and ice cold"

• Like 2

Its the biggest difficulty the Air con.  If it isn't working then many will no doubt gas it so it lasts about a month, which gives the impression all is well and they then can say "Air con Ice Cold".

You pays yur money you takes yur chance. 

• Like 1

It's all fixable, just depends what the problem is.  If it is the rear pipes then the fuel tank has to come out, but as I say, it may not be that. The earlier cars didn't all have the same spec i.e. the premium pack with air suspension and vibrating rear seats etc. 

53 minutes ago, Chasdad said:

I'm taking the plunge and having it. Seems to have the premium pack then . Owner said air con was OK when last used so fingers crossed 

Any Info on cam belt?

hi John

when my amp packed up - all the other audio function worked as they should - there just was no sound at all - no hiss - nothing. Th reason for this was the amplifier power supply board had packed up - i got it repaired from SVT services in edinburgh for £285 - hope this helps

Good luck with your new purchase

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links