Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

When ever i start the engine, the steering wheel comes out and auto adjusts. When it does that I hear it sqeak. Seems it needs oiling or something. Anyone experienced this ? How to fix? Thanks.

Mine squeaks a bit when its warm in the cabin (when its been in the sun for a bit)

I have just presumed it needs a bit of oil but not looked into it - only squeaks when the wheel is coming out - doesn't do it in the cold.

I haven't paid attenion to climate but yes, it does it when the wheel comes out.

I am concered that if I do not oil it, it might get stuck or the motor under stress might fail. So wondering if it is a DIY job that I should do.

i have just done this on my RX350, not sure if the same process but in my experience the squeak becomes a very slow growling sticky movement on the steering wheel as it extends. Ive done this a few times over my 8 to 9 years owning. You should be able to drop the carpeting under the dash, and then ease away the plastic/leather part that butts against it. (if you have this) If its the same as the rx its a self tapper on the rhs behind a clip down cover on the lower edge of the plastic dash L/H/S, remove that. On the door pillar, pull gently away the vertical plastic cover on the upright , just beside the hinges, this should reveal a 10mm bolt which holds the r/h/s of plastic under cover. When this has been eased gently downwards, you can see the screwed rod mechanism that operates the retracting steering wheel. Basically a deep threaded rod that rotates and either extend or retracts depending the direction of rotation. If possible, split the steering column housing, on the rx you can't fully remove this but you can split it enough to get a WD40 Silicon spray straw through to the top of the mechanism. From further down... if you get a very narrow paintbrush 1/2" is ideal...cheap as poss, and dip it in grease, you should be able to reach the screwed rod and re grease it... using the adjuster on the side of the steering column...fully extend and then park the steering wheel while holding the tip of the paintbrush against the screwed rod while operating it a few times to make sure you grease as much as poss.. Not sure how this fits with the IS under dash layout but...hopefully gives you the gist of it ! 

Should run quicker and much quieter afterwards, worth doing as apparently a very expensive and B of a job to replace a burnt out motor  !! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links