Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Toyota Super Long Life Pink Coolant

I' thinking about replacing the coolant in my RX300 and it looks like the only option in the UK is the Toyota Super Long Life Pink Coolant. A quick search has brought up a price of £40 (incl p&p) for 5 litres. As the RX needs 9.7 litres that's £80 to fill the cooling system not including the flush!

I've investigated using generic 'red' coolant but it seems that may be incompatible with some of the seals that Toyota / Lexus use - see this thread for more info:

So the question is, has anyone else found a fully compatible coolant or know how much dealers charge per 5 litres of the correct coolant?

I'd rather not take the risk of using 'red' coolant if there is a chance it adversely affects gaskets / seals but it seems strange that Toyota would choose to go their own way on such a generic product. Damage to seals can take years to appear but can be very costly to put right...

If £80 is what it costs then so be it but an alternative would be nice!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

When I replaced my radiator a couple of weeks ago I phoned Lexus to confirm what I needed, which was red.  It may be best to do the same, they're generally very helpful on the phone, just ask to speak to a technician.  I bought mine from a Local Toyota dealer @ £25 for 5 litres. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

When I replaced my radiator a couple of weeks ago I phoned Lexus to confirm what I needed, which was red.  It may be best to do the same, they're generally very helpful on the phone, just ask to speak to a technician.  I bought mine from a Local Toyota dealer @ £25 for 5 litres. 

Thanks TA,

I'll give the local Toyota guys a call after the Bank Holiday.

I've spent the last couple of hours researching coolants and it seems that the Toyota 'Pink' coolant I require is indeed unique to Toyota!

However, there are modern 'universal' coolants, such as Valvoline MaxLife, that use a similar hybrid technology and include lubricant properties that the Lexus 'Pink' achieves through the use of phosphates. I need to more research but it looks promising. It also has the added benefit of being non reactive with all other coolants so, should the worst happen, any other coolant can be used to top up!

Obviously if the cost of the Toyota stuff direct from the dealer is anywhere near the Valvoline Maxlife then I'll just go for that.

The number of different coolants these days is mind boggling!

Too true, wouldn't it be nice if there was just one universal coolant!  The problem is not knowing if being "unique to Toyota" is just a unique way of relieving you of more cash for something you could buy elsewhere with the same properties and half the price!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2016 at 4:59 PM, The-Acre said:

Too true, wouldn't it be nice if there was just one universal coolant!  The problem is not knowing if being "unique to Toyota" is just a unique way of relieving you of more cash for something you could buy elsewhere with the same properties and half the price!

My thoughts exactly!

At this point I'm fairly sure that the Valvoline stuff will outperform the OEM stuff.* Technology marches on! 

*please note that I'm about as far from an expert in these things as you can get! LOL

**edited because I'm a simpleton who misses out words and doesn't notice for over a day! 

8 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

Wow! You mean water ain't good enough? Never knew! Used to be you could use water from defrosting your freezer!

When I had old bangers many years ago (which always leaked and overheated) I'd use water from ponds and ditches!  The thing with pukka coolants is that they have a small amount of lubricant in them, essential for the water pump.