Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bottom Ball Joints

bobmc

Following the safety recall and a complimentary health check, Lexus advised that my NSF Bottom Ball Joint is leaking grease.

Should I be considering replacing the ball joints on both sides or not? Also, is a wheel alignment needed after replacement?

What sort of cost would I be looking at? probably via an indy rather than Lexus

18 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

replace the complete control arms on both sides. 

the ball joint seems to be a replaceable sub-assembly, why would the whole control arm need to be replaced?

Thats how I would do it.

If ball joint is knackerd there is a good chance the bushing is also damaged. You can just replace the 2 bushing and one ball joint. But brings the question how the ball joint got ripped. Was there an impact? If yes then wouldn't the arm have sustained damage? One can only tell when the whole assembly is removed. 

How many miles on the car? If it was impact then you may need to replace one side. If it is a high millage car then do both. One is done and the other on its way... 

If you are doing suspension work ask them if end links and struts are ok and springs. Struts have rubber bush and cover on them. Ask them if thats ok and what they think of the top hat bearing for the strut.

Yes, align the vehicle afterwards.

Just wondering how much do the arms cost vs ball joint and bushes? how much did they say for labor?

Last year I did control arm change on a non lexus car... parts werent expensive but took a while to figure out how to do it. I had to lift the entire engine up to get access to a bolt or remove the ac compressor... rubbish design to say the least. Lexus might be more sensible.

I haven't had any quotes yet, just considering my options atm

It's on an 07 plate with just over 80K. 

here is what it looks like 

IMG_20160622_172916.jpg

Personally if if is just the LBJ leaking grease I would replace just that, rubber does perish over time so nothing usual doesn't mean it has been caused by impact. If the bushes were also worn believe me Lexus would have also flagged it up.

its lexus and rubber should not perish at 80k.... that's nothing for lexus parts.

One side only. If the other side looks ok I wouldnt bother just now.

Regardless, the bushes can be visually inspected. 80k... is just nothing. I guess parta do fail... 

19 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

. rubbish design to say the least. Lexus might be more sensible.

I would doubt. In many cases Lexus are not the easiest cars to fix and all components are hidden and screws much harder to access then other cars.

I don't think it is bad design (which might have been the case in the car you did) - they just don't want indies to scratch around trying to force you for official dealership in this way "which will no exactly where is bolt and have some kind of angle spanner with single purpose of use for that specific bolt". I might be wrong, but that is my understanding about "Lexus design"

Well, as it came with a 3 month dealer 'warranty' which runs out next week, I thought I'd see what their response was.

Pretty much as expected - in that they would not classify it as a mechanical failure but I was saddened by their attitude.

I quote

" I suspect that in actual fact the ball joint is in perfect working order and were the car to go through an MOT test this item probably wouldn’t be mentioned and the car could continue to be used without risk for many more miles "

In other words, as long as it's not an MOT failure - carry on until it fails - potentially catastrophically - and don't worry about it.

I wonder dealers can sleep at night

Indeed not the best attitude, but in other hand this is not new car and it is really up to then to cover it or not.

I guess if Lexus would have market it as "red" - which would mean MOT fail, then you could pursue dealer to replace it, but if I am right they put it "yellow" aka advisory or visual issue and therefore not MOT fail nor safety concern.

I guess it was not mentioned in previous MOTs either? In which case you could not argue the issue was present when they sold the car (even though it is obvious it didn't happen overnight)?

You're right it was marked "yellow" but that doesn't mean it can be ignored. If the grease is leaking out then a) there's less grease to provide lubrication and b) dirt can get in to increase wear.

Time to get some quotes I think

No I am not saying to ignore it... well you can, but it will cost you more in the end of the day. So definitely do not keep it for later. 

While I am not suggesting to replace arms etc... I see Jack's point. If you going to for trouble getting the car up, ask other parts to be inspected and if needed replaced at the same time and therefore saving on labour later.

Well Lexus have quoted £166 which sounds reasonable to me, an Indy quoted slightly more.

I think I might also ask about the Lexus extended warranty as it does seem to have a good reputation on here.

That is reasonable.  It is basically what Lexus charge around here for an hours labour.

The extended warranty has been good for me.  Saved me a load of money when my flywheel failed.  I am going to put it to test again next week for a couple of small bits.

It think the price has gone up slightly since it is should be £895 for two years.  I really hope the 241 offer on the warranty doesn't stop, since it actually makes it a reasonable price.  I got a quote for a MINI extended warranty recently and they wanted roughly £521 a year with a £100 excess!

Not terrible price, considering part is ~£30-50 +£116-136 for work.. Probably the cheapest indie would be like ~£80 for work, so just a little cheaper and might damage something.

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually got it done at the used-car branch of the same group that has the Lexus dealership in my area. 

Very professional and courteous service, they quoted with original lexus part or with pattern part, price difference was £25 so decided to pay the extra for peace of mind.

Got them to give me the old bits back which came in the packing for the new part so I'm sure they fitted genuine lexus components.

Had a nice chat with the service manager about brake servicing and sticking caliper pins. He's assured me that if I take it in for a brake service they will lubricate the caliper pins as part of the service. So that will be my next move.

For me it sounds like  "we will tighten your wheel nuts after replacing the wheels" or "we will inflate your tires after we change them". If somebody knows garage which doesn't lubricate pins as part of the brake service please shout now... we will add it to blacklist.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links