Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus have an 'Additional 12-year anti-corrosion and perforation warranty' and a '3 year paintwork and surface rust warranty' on the IS 300H (maybe standard across all vehicles- don't know).

I'm looking at an IS 300h Luxury that apparently was driven through flood water, ingested same causing hydraulic lock and ruined engine. New engine installed by Lexus techs.

But I can't get a straight answer from Lexus dealer about the status of the corrosion/rust/paint warranties. I would guess that at least the 12 year anti-corrosion and perforation warranty would have an exclusion clause for a flooding event.

Would an owner with access to the warranty docs. please take a look. I'd be very grateful.

Thank you.

anything thats outside of normal everyday driving i would expect to be excluded

as warranties will only be based on everyday / normal driving styles.

• Like 1

The 12 year warranty covers corrosion that is attributable to faults in material or workmanship

No warranty cover if the vehicle has been declared a total loss or salvage

No warranty cover of damage or failures resulting directly or indirectly from:

abuse or negligence

water contamination. 

15 hours ago, rayaans said:

Generally I wouldn't touch any car that's been through floods. 

Id presume if it's been through flooding then warranty would be expired

I agree - too much of an unknown.

And if a fault did occur, trying to argue it might be tricky?

Thank you ColinBarber for, I assume, looking up the wording in the warranty documents. I'm grateful.

The wording matches what I thought must be the case, i.e. car is flooded, no 12 year corrosion warranty cover.

Essentially the Lexus dealer is asking buyers to believe that the car will not suffer flood related problems. Flip a coin - take a gamble - that is what the dealer is expecting the buyer to participate in.

Not sure what I think about this ..... good car, new engine, good price ... do I feel lucky for the next 5-10 years? Probably not.

Thanks all.

The engine may have been replaced but what about all that water now possibly hidden in box sections, lurking in wiring looms slowly eating into those copper wires turning them to a green powder heading towards the ECU by capillary action.

Also bear in mind that if the car is a former insurance write off you will have to declare this and if the car is written off again the settlement figure will be significantly reduced.

There are plenty of other cars for sale buy one of these for peace of mind.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Also bear in mind that if the car is a former insurance write off you will have to declare this 

Only if they ask, and believe me most don't.

Bit surprised to see a main dealer trying to sell a car that has been subjected to flooding, there seems to be plenty of stock available so why bother with this one?

Just because an engine had to be replaced, doesn't necessarily imply any other problems, modern engines can be wrecked simply by driving too fast through a deep puddle,  could be a good buy, as it presumably has a brand new engine, presumably the price is keen?

with a lexus dealer selling the car then its not an insurance write off

if its only been driven through standing water and not been flooded by water surely 

whats the difference between having the car underside pressure washed and the

momentary contact of water from driving through deepish water.

if its a keen price and your lexus dealer is prepared to put in writing the warranty you have

and the duration its valid for then maybe go for it, its all down to how you feel.

• Like 1

This is getting tricky! I don't think I should give too many details about the flooding incident, ownership etc. in case that leads to the identification of the dealership.

The car is not an insurance write-off but then, maybe, there was no claim.

In any case, I have just discovered that the Cat A, B, C and D scheme is entirely voluntary -  an industry scheme without statutory support. (This is a statement of fact and not intended to imply any impropriety on the part of the dealership.)

The engine is 'brand new'.

200h -  the car entered a flood, possibly a ford (I don't know the full details), that other cars had passed through. The Lexus ingested water and came to a halt. It must have been in the water for some time. I'm told that the flood level was low, that the ingestion was very surprising and that the damage was restricted to the engine.

As a point of interest, the angular shape of various components in the nose, the large grill area and the horizontal leading elements to the lower skirt, might channel water into the IS 300h when other makes noses would push the water away.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions etc. I've decided to walk away.

3 hours ago, tanimbar said:

This is getting tricky! I don't think I should give too many details about the flooding incident, ownership etc. in case that leads to the identification of the dealership.

The car is not an insurance write-off but then, maybe, there was no claim.

In any case, I have just discovered that the Cat A, B, C and D scheme is entirely voluntary -  an industry scheme without statutory support. (This is a statement of fact and not intended to imply any impropriety on the part of the dealership.)

The engine is 'brand new'.

200h -  the car entered a flood, possibly a ford (I don't know the full details), that other cars had passed through. The Lexus ingested water and came to a halt. It must have been in the water for some time. I'm told that the flood level was low, that the ingestion was very surprising and that the damage was restricted to the engine.

As a point of interest, the angular shape of various components in the nose, the large grill area and the horizontal leading elements to the lower skirt, might channel water into the IS 300h when other makes noses would push the water away.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions etc. I've decided to walk away.

Identification of the dealership is not an issue, you can give as many details as you feel comfortable.

If you feel comfortable with the car, and after checking all the footwells, under the bonnet etc, the dealer MIGHT be prepared to put extra "no questions asked" warranty on the car. In that case, you might have a good deal but it totally depends on the price they are asking for it.

Some cars can go through serious damage without being rated as CAT C or D, especially if the owner decides to pay for the work themselves.