Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mini VCI Techstream and the 'wrong' car

Just bought a mini VCI cable and Techstream from eBay but there's a bit of a problem. There are many Youtube videos out there showing the software in use and in all of them that I've seen, when the 'Connect to car' button is clicked then it automatically detects the correct car - but in my case it doesn't.

It detects my car as a Toyota Highlander, 2003, with the 1MZ-FE engine, whereas in reality it's a Lexus RX300, 2005, with (I believe) a 1MZ-FE engine.

When I manually choose Lexus RX300, the latest year I can choose is 2003 - but mine's a 2005.

If I select the correct year of 2005, the software changes the model to RX330 instead of my RX300 and also changes the engine to the 3MZ-FE instead of my 1MZ-FE

When I connect as a 2003 RX300 I get this display, which is missing a few ECUs:

tis3.jpg

However, if I connect as a 2005 RX330 it shows the extra ECUs that my car appears to have, i.e., Back Door, AFS, Rain Sensor etc., (marked with an orange dot) but it's the wrong model and wrong engine:

tis5.jpg

Am I missing a setting or something? How valid is the data that the software is showing if it's the wrong car and engine?

I should say that there's nothing unusual about the car - it's a UK model, not an import or anything.

Hi, the autodetect doesn't work on my Techstream version so I input the settings manually - there are many versions of Techstream out there Each with their own quirks (bugs) try a few different versions and find what works best for you.

I got mine from a Toyota GT86 owners forum if that helps with googling for it.

Techstream is free to use at home without a licence key (like a 'Lite' version) if you do licence it and pay the subs the biggest advantages is that you can download and reflash programming updates onto the ECUs (like transmission software updates) and you get access to the online codes and diagnostics lookups and electronic service manuals!

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links