Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h acceleration at low revs

28 minutes ago, capese21 said:

I doubt anyone drives in sport mode that much. Why do you want to drive fast all the time?  The IS300h in normal mode is quick off the mark and is perfect for city traffic driving no need for sport.  Take a test drive its the only way to see if it suits you.

Agreed. Keep the car in normal. I find Sport mode is too sensitive to throttle input sometimes

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Agreed. Keep the car in normal. I find Sport mode is too sensitive to throttle input sometimes

That's quite reassuring. 

@capese21  having a capable engine makes the drive much less tiring. For instance driving a BMW 330d simply means that I can get up to speed without revving the engine.  It's effortless.  The same is true of the 320d. I find noise and vibration from an engine very uncomfortable, and want to be sure that the IS300h doesn't need to be worked hard to keep pace with traffic, overtaking or get up to speed quickly.

The german marque's are well known for the performance, but the Japanese less so, at least here in the UK.  

^^The IS300H is by far the most relaxing car I've driven over long distances. My old car was a BMW 335i remapped to nearly 400bhp, looking back it was such a crude machine compared to the cars we have now. 

Once you have never experienced the silence of EVs your get it.

I agree, hybrid driving is a unique experience. The difference from a diesel car is also given by the fact that power is given in a linear way, so you don't perceive it like a sudden impulse like in a diesel where the power is (more or less) the same for a large range of rpm. Besides, in diesel you fell the need to change gear, while in Lexus there are no gears to change :), and you can keep any speed witth engine at the right rpm, or off is speed is slow moving with only electric automatically, even at almost 0 speed up a hill.

a 330d has a monster of an engine with a mountain of torque. this car will make you feel there is always plenty of power on tap, is a relaxed cruiser with decent consumption( for the engine) but is clearly higher priced than the IS. The 320d is s noisy rattling 4 pot with lots of power and torque with great consumption. if you do high mileage it could make sense. The IS300H is a great car if you drive up to 60% of the power, then it cruises along with little noise and feels like a six cylinder. Start pressing it and it falls apart though, the CVT combined with the 4 cylinder makes an unpleasant stressed noise and it does not feel ok. i guess that why most of us including me, dont drive as fast or enthusiastic as with our previous cars, the IS is not a sporty car for the enthusiastic driver but makes a great realaxed cruiser in and out of town. I like my IS and maybe you will like it as well after a test drive, just realise that comparing it with a 330d is not going to work. with a 320d however....    

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

a 330d has a monster of an engine with a mountain of torque. this car will make you feel there is always plenty of power on tap, is a relaxed cruiser with decent consumption( for the engine) but is clearly higher priced than the IS. The 320d is s noisy rattling 4 pot with lots of power and torque with great consumption. if you do high mileage it could make sense. The IS300H is a great car if you drive up to 60% of the power, then it cruises along with little noise and feels like a six cylinder. Start pressing it and it falls apart though, the CVT combined with the 4 cylinder makes an unpleasant stressed noise and it does not feel ok. i guess that why most of us including me, dont drive as fast or enthusiastic as with our previous cars, the IS is not a sporty car for the enthusiastic driver but makes a great realaxed cruiser in and out of town. I like my IS and maybe you will like it as well after a test drive, just realise that comparing it with a 330d is not going to work. with a 320d however.... 

Thanks for this very useful and insightful post.  Much to think about. So far Ive not managed to get a 24 hour test drive but i have cancelled the Edgware road test drive. I'll try a few other dealers next week. i'm now getting quite excited about having a smooth refined Lexus. 

Thanks for all your advice and opinions on this car ! 

• 2 weeks later...

@chimneyfog I picked up my IS300H F-Sport today (yesterday as its 1:30am now and can't sleep knowing my new car is sitting on my driveway and I can't play with it properly till daylight!!!)  and very happy indeed.   I find with cars especially Lexus it's a completely different experience living with one,  you just feel special to be driving round in a Lexus where I am not so sure you do in other Marques.   

The power in Normal mode is impressive and gets you to speed effortlessly.   I am yet to properly put it through it's paces but I know I am going to enjoy it :) 

Hope you get that test drive soon,  I never did as was sold on the IS300 when I owned the previous IS220D which yes was a 4 pot diesel and had quirks no doubts this one will show but I love Lexus cars and how they make you feel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJP said:

Glad you're enjoying it! Sport mode is fun too emoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

School run this morning,  will be parking as far away from other cars and curbs as possible! 

Hi Richard,

glad to see that your getting of to a good start. Give the wife a sandwich and a flask of tea, so she can survive the walk to the pavement, always park in a distant part of the carpark at the supermarket. If you can, park in an auto silo, where your love looked after by an attendant. I rarely park alongside the kerb as some clown in a Fiat nothing will undoubtable  try to squeeze in and skim the bumper. Generally, if I park in a marked slot, other parkers tend to park at least a doors width from me, just in case, 'can't have the out of control kids throwing the door open and damaging the smart, shiny, limo next to them, costs lots of shekels.' Just think, I was one of those little tikes many moons ago.

Enjoy your new Love.

Best wishes.

Michael.    

Hehe, thanks Zippyone, sounds like you feel my trepidation around parking a car you want to keep looking it's best.  It's been a long while since having kids and other priorities meant I have had to sacrifice nice motors for boring stuff (life).  Unfortunately I do currently park in a public car multi story car park where there are danger areas from the moment I enter.    I am seriously considering parking elsewhere or even outside to avoid the high curb either side of the entrance that can't be avoided!!!   

The wheels are even nicer than all the photos I've seen since putting my order in.  The tyres do have quite a good amount of rim protection but I doubt the high curbs will avoid the spoke section of the wheel.   I think I just need to be very careful lining the car up as I go in.  

4 hours ago, RichyRich said:

Hehe, thanks Zippyone, sounds like you feel my trepidation around parking a car you want to keep looking it's best.  It's been a long while since having kids and other priorities meant I have had to sacrifice nice motors for boring stuff (life).  Unfortunately I do currently park in a public car multi story car park where there are danger areas from the moment I enter.    I am seriously considering parking elsewhere or even outside to avoid the high curb either side of the entrance that can't be avoided!!!   

The wheels are even nicer than all the photos I've seen since putting my order in.  The tyres do have quite a good amount of rim protection but I doubt the high curbs will avoid the spoke section of the wheel.   I think I just need to be very careful lining the car up as I go in.  

You can also get colour coded body side mouldings and door edge protectors. Not sure if both are available from Lexus UK or USA dealers.

36 minutes ago, C Mclean said:

You can also get colour coded body side mouldings and door edge protectors. Not sure if both are available from Lexus UK or USA dealers.

Do you have these?  Some pictures would be good too? 

Have a look at the pics in my profile, they're not very clear but it'll give you an idea on the side mouldings. For the door edge strips, you cat see them in the pics as they are only about a 1/4" wide and blend in well. Both items are pretty easy to install, all you need is a tape measure. Some masking tape and a rubber hammer. Also check out the official Lexus site on eBay U.K and USA, plus you can view accessories on the US Lexus site.

I used to drive in Sport mode a lot because I prefer the steering feel. That got me 42 mpg.  I've converted to Eco mode and now get 50mpg. it's a bit sluggish when accelerating esp up a hill but otherwise driving gently is better.

Wish I could change the steering separately though.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Tazzman600 said:

I love driving my IS300H. It's so smooth and quiet (well I do have my Mark Levinson turned up loud lol). As for driving it fast. My word Yes you can drive it fast. Just like in 2 previous auto gearbox trucks there is a notch, so to speak, where the pedal hits the floor and the car shoots off very rapidly and very near the same rate as a Ford Focus ST I was considering  (in my shortlist of car to get).

The IS300H is an excellent all round car. Executive and sporty if needed. 

Agree with that statement,  I am loving driving mine daily and even swapping train journey on 2 out 4 days I go into the office 50 miles away.   Getting 50mpg is quite satisfactory but would like to reach the 60 Lexus claim.   Sport or Normal mode is fast if you need it or want it that's for sure.   Have noticed it can rev pretty high if you floor it.   Anyone know the top speed they've managed?  Obviously not a boy racer but do love the odd sprint against other exec cars and wipe their smile off their face haha 

31 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

Agree with that statement,  I am loving driving mine daily and even swapping train journey on 2 out 4 days I go into the office 50 miles away.   Getting 50mpg is quite satisfactory but would like to reach the 60 Lexus claim.   Sport or Normal mode is fast if you need it or want it that's for sure.   Have noticed it can rev pretty high if you floor it.   Anyone know the top speed they've managed?  Obviously not a boy racer but do love the odd sprint against other exec cars and wipe their smile off their face haha 

124mph. Dont ask how I know.

Chassis is stable though, could handle another 50mph easy if the car had a 5.0l or something!

• Like 3

Am curious as to if the performance has or can be tuned to eek out more.  Is there such a thing as remapping a Hybrid??  Of course whilst I am under a lease and in warranty I wouldn't even consider it but would be very interested.   

6 hours ago, Tazzman600 said:

Yes I notice the engine seems to rev highly. It's a weird sensation as I've never driven a CVT box before and memory loses me about a 'normal' auto box. But that engine seems to love anything you do to it.

I'm intrigued by remapping and will look into it. 

As for a ahem top speed. I inadvertently saw my speedo showing 120 and I was gobsmacked how stable and quiet it was. My wife was shocked to when I asked her how fast she thought we were going. 

It is scary to think your going at that sort of speed so effortlessly.  The revs do seem to top out around 120 though not that I've been trying!   Would be interested if a remap is possible??  Someone must know...   

That should work!

I don't know why lexus don't just fit these instead of spending millions on r&d!

Just noticed only for diesel cars, so presumably will just have to use diesel in my 300h!

No doubt somebody will try it, and claim 0-60 times are halved, whilst delivering 10 mpg. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links