Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h acceleration at low revs

Hello I'm looking to buy a IS300h, I was previously considering a BMW 330d for the torque at low revs allowing one to get up to speed fairly fast and the decent MPG. However, diesels reputation as dirty fuel has got me looking at petrol hybrids. 

I was initially considering the GS450h but the styling is terrible. Whereas the IS300h looks great. 

My dilemma is that I do enjoy spirited driving, and do like to get up to speed fairly fast, particularly in London's stop-start traffic. Thus good acceleration at low revs from 0-30mph is important. I say low revs, as I've read that flooring the pedal the fuel economy in the IS300h drops to 20 mpg. And the way I drive in the cities stop-start traffic fuel economy could take a major hit.

I've previously had an opportunity to drive a 1.8 litre petrol Toyota Avensis which I found to be extremely sluggish. So, the question is how quickly does the IS300h get up to speed whilst maintaining a light foot on the pedal. 

Thanks     

I suspect you will change your driving style to suit the hybrid, it tends to encourage a more relaxed style of driving, and you will probably feel more relaxed.

Having said that, the IS300h has 3 modes-eco/normal and sport, eco will feel sluggish, normal, ok, but sport will really sharpen the response, and In that mode, I suspect you will be happy, try one and see.

I also think you will be hard pushed to get anywhere near 20mpg?

I also think your driving style will change, mine was similar to yours and now it's not.

That said, if you keep it in Sport it is more than quick enough. No way, even driven as you suggest and permanently in Sport, will the mpg be anywhere near as bad as 20 IMO. Obviously a test drive is the answer and let us know how you get on!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.  I am attracted by the refinement and hopefully a more relaxed style of driving. In sport mode what kind of mpg are people getting ? Also, what is the IS300h like for long distance driving. I'm planning on doing a couple of trips into Europe and I do tire easily with long distance driving, and this is where I'm assuming the refined drive will help? 

I've just got in touch with Lexus to arrange a test drive, I'm hoping I can get to try out the car for a couple of hours. 

I'd be surprised if you achieved less than 35 mpg. Maybe when you have the test drive drive as you normally would having reset the onboard computer. As far as long distance driving, certainly no problem there it's an extremely pleasant place to be.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Talking of driving at low revs with a hybrid powertrain is  a bit confusing: the hybrid synergy drive is totally different because  it uses both electric and petrol engine to give the power  (and torque) you need, and expecially for torque the electric engine gives all you need starting at every speed and instantly. The big difference is in what you hear, because when you depress the right foot you actually set the power you want, and the petrol engine gives it at  "high" revs while there are not fixed gears, so the feeling is the opposite you can have with a traditional gearbox where revs are proportional to speed; some people hate this, some love the eCVT, you have to try.

About mpg, the best place you have advantages compared to diesel is city driving, with large amount of electric use and energy recovery at every light braking you make, while in high speed travelling mpg is same or a bit worse compared to a diesel.

But about comfort, eCVT hybrid is wonderful, and in city driving you have petrol engine off saving petrol and driving in silence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chimneyfog said:

Thanks for the replies.  I am attracted by the refinement and hopefully a more relaxed style of driving. In sport mode what kind of mpg are people getting ? Also, what is the IS300h like for long distance driving. I'm planning on doing a couple of trips into Europe and I do tire easily with long distance driving, and this is where I'm assuming the refined drive will help? 

I've just got in touch with Lexus to arrange a test drive, I'm hoping I can get to try out the car for a couple of hours. 

If you're flooring it at the lights you'll get about 30mpg. Trust me I know!

On longer trips you should get about 45mpg or more.

But then the real question is - if you're thinking of this kind of driving, maybe the BMW badge is more suited?!

Regarding long distance driving, I've just done Sheffield to Lisbon, via Santander ferry, using Eco mode all the way, and I found the driving very relaxing. The northern Spain and northern Portugal mways are so free of traffic that you can use cruise control all the way. And on the crowded uk mways, with their speed limitation, you just sit back and let the system work out how to use the drive. For the record, Sheffield to Plymouth, 55.7 mpg, Santander to Lisbon and return, 48 mpg (very hilly terrain), and Plymouth to Sheffield 49.6 mpg. Just relax and enjoy the scenery :-)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chimneyfog said:

My dilemma is that I do enjoy spirited driving, and do like to get up to speed fairly fast, particularly in London's stop-start traffic.     

Surely the words 'spirited driving' and  'London's stop-start traffic' don't go in the same sentence ;)

I did some very rough performance runs on our IS300H when we first got it. It's not a slow car, 0-30 is pretty decent mainly because of the electric motor. If you want to drive like a nutter with the foot to the floor your see bad mpg from any car, the IS no worse than any 'normal' car. For London start-stop traffic I cannot think of anything more suitable than a hybrid/EV, especially compared to a diesel.

There are now more advanced hybrids around now, the BMW 330e is suppose to be very good whilst delivering decent mpg if you plug it in overnight.

Of course if your after the holy grill of amazing mpg and 0-60 times to rival proper sports cars there is one car that will deliver both, I've just confirmed my order :)

27794704381_0ac400cbf2_z.jpg

• Like 3

As a long time BMW driver I'm pleasantly surprised at the IS300h.  Not as fast or as punchy as the BMW but happy to cruise quietly at 75mph and achieve 50mpg (real). In sport mode its pokey enough when on the road but not really a tyre scorcher from the traffic lights. Comfortable supportive seats mean I do not get the backache or aching backside I used to experience in my 320D on long French and UK runs. I've never gone below (real) 40mpg including winter but I may not drive as vigorously as chimneyfog.  

Thanks for extremely informative replies. Unfortunately a torquey diesel is out of the question, conscience can't justify the pollution. A petrol BMW is expensive to run, and I don't quite trust BMW reliability to opt for a first generation hybrid. To be honest, I'm doing less and less city driving, most of it will be long distance. And I do like a quiet refined drive. @ganzoom Thanks for the video, that looks plenty fast enough for me. I don't need to leave tyre scorch marks, just to be able to comfortably get up to speed in time to slow down for the next traffic light/traffic jam.  

Thanks @Fujifan thats the kind of distance I'll be doing so good to know it can do that in comfort. @rayaans thanks, 30mpg flooring it in sport mode sounds pretty good to me. @Zotto thanks for that explanation, I need to get my head around what a cvt gearbox actually feels like, but yes the instant torque from the electric motor would probably compensate slightly for the diesel torque. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chimneyfog said:

Thanks for extremely informative replies. Unfortunately a torquey diesel is out of the question, conscience can't justify the pollution. A petrol BMW is expensive to run, and I don't quite trust BMW reliability to opt for a first generation hybrid. To be honest, I'm doing less and less city driving, most of it will be long distance. And I do like a quiet refined drive. @ganzoom Thanks for the video, that looks plenty fast enough for me. I don't need to leave tyre scorch marks, just to be able to comfortably get up to speed in time to slow down for the next traffic light/traffic jam.  

Thanks @Fujifan thats the kind of distance I'll be doing so good to know it can do that in comfort. @rayaans thanks, 30mpg flooring it in sport mode sounds pretty good to me. @Zotto thanks for that explanation, I need to get my head around what a cvt gearbox actually feels like, but yes the instant torque from the electric motor would probably compensate slightly for the diesel torque. 

I know you mentioned a 330d but compared to a 320d the IS300H is quicker in day to day driving.

30-50mph takes 3s whereas in a 320d it'd take 3.6s, 50-70mph absolutely blows a 320d out of the park. Takes 4s in an IS and 6.8s in a 320d! 

You won't be disappointed on long drives, the quietness of the car helps too and you'll be doing about 40mpg+ on those. 

6 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I know you mentioned a 330d but compared to a 320d the IS300H is quicker in day to day driving.

30-50mph takes 3s whereas in a 320d it'd take 3.6s, 50-70mph absolutely blows a 320d out of the park. Takes 4s in an IS and 6.8s in a 320d! 

You won't be disappointed on long drives, the quietness of the car helps too and you'll be doing about 40mpg+ on those. 

Excellent, thats quite impressive. The 320d is fast enough and if the IS300h can top it then I'm sold. Looking forward to my test drive next Wednesday. 

5 minutes ago, chimneyfog said:

Excellent, thats quite impressive. The 320d is fast enough and if the IS300h can top it then I'm sold. Looking forward to my test drive next Wednesday. 

Just be aware that it won't feel as fast.  Don't know whether it's the smoothness or the lack of gear changes but I ended up at 100mph thinking I was at 70mph plenty of times. Oops

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rayaans said:

Just be aware that it won't feel as fast.  Don't know whether it's the smoothness or the lack of gear changes but I ended up at 100mph thinking I was at 70mph plenty of times. Oops

That's a major plus. I really dislike road noise, and the feeling of going fast. I like speed, but only if it's hushed :) 

If your doing a lot of long distance driving the adaptive cruise control is amazingly useful. But sadky Lexus only did as a very expensive option on the top spec cars.

Not sure if Lexus is going to change that when the MY17 models arrive. 

7 hours ago, ganzoom said:

If your doing a lot of long distance driving the adaptive cruise control is amazingly useful. But sadky Lexus only did as a very expensive option on the top spec cars.

Not sure if Lexus is going to change that when the MY17 models arrive. 

Yep all facelift models come with safety system + as standard therefore you will get the pre collision system, adaptive cruise control, lane departure assist etc

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chimneyfog said:

I take it the facelift model is out next year ? I could really do with adaptive cruise control. 

Yup, unless you go for the premier model of course where you can add it on. Massive discounts on them too - almost £5k worth!

20 hours ago, rayaans said:

Wow those are some impressive numbers from a heavy car with good MPG. 

Incidentally when I rang up Lexus in Edgware I asked about the 24 hour test drive, they offered me a 30 minute accompanied test drive and suggested I rebook for a 24 hour drive if I'm happy with the finance figures. Is this the norm, or should I try another Lexus dealer.  It would be good to have the car for a least an hour or two to get a real feel for it, and it's a long trek getting to the dealer. 

2 hours ago, chimneyfog said:

In that case I might try another dealer. Or ask them again. 

Yep try another dealer - Edgeware aren't great in my experience.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2016 at 8:36 AM, chimneyfog said:

In sport mode what kind of mpg are people getting ?

I doubt anyone drives in sport mode that much. Why do you want to drive fast all the time?  The IS300h in normal mode is quick off the mark and is perfect for city traffic driving no need for sport.  Take a test drive its the only way to see if it suits you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links