Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I know that within the next 4 to 6 months all four tyres are going to need replacing on our 2005 RX300. I discovered that the spare has hardly ever been used (photos attached) so I'm wondering if I could bring this into play as one of the 'everyday' tyres, meaning I only have to buy three new ones rather than four? Thing is, it's date stamped as a 2005 tyre so although it looks like new, it's actually 11 years old like the rest of the car - is that a problem?

tyre1.jpg

tyre2.jpg

As a tyre gets older they become more dangerous.

I'd keep it as a spare, only for emergency situations but definitely wouldn't skimp out on new tyres.

Fair enough Rayann, thanks for the reply. I won't be carrying a spare after next week because the car goes for LPG conversion on Monday and a toroidal gas tank will be living where the spare wheel goes, which is why I was hoping I may be able to put the spare into proper service. Like you say though, it's not worth playing with safety.

I'd do the same, ok as a spare assuming it's not cracking, but certainly wouldn't use it full time.

As to carrying a spare, could you not fit an external carrier on the back door?

I quite like the ones with a hard cover, as seen on RAV4s and the like.

57 minutes ago, mikeyv said:

Oh no, that just wouldn't look right at all :yucky:  :smile:

Seriously though, there's no real need to carry a spare. I've got a can of Holts Tyreweld (or some such goo) for 'normal' punctures and if it's anything more serious I'll just call out the breakdown people. I don't want to tempt fate by saying this but we did over 104,000 miles on gas in our old Nissan, with the tank in place of the spare wheel, and never had a single puncture but did carry the can of goo just in case.

24 minutes ago, mikeyv said:

Oh no, that just wouldn't look right at all :yucky:

Seriously though, there's no real need to carry a spare. I've got a can of Holts Tyreweld (or some such goo) for 'normal' punctures and if it's anything more serious I'll just call out the breakdown people. I don't want to tempt fate by saying this but we did over 104,000 miles on gas in our old Nissan, with the tank in place of the spare wheel, and never had a single puncture but did carry the can of goo just in case.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links