Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus is220d 2007 Engine knocking noise

Nain

Hi Steve, thanks for your response. It doesn't make any difference if I put the clutch in, the rattle noise remains the same.

Any idea what the noise is, please do let me know because I need to book it in for a check so I know what to expect.

Thanks 

Can't see the video now, but it was there yesterday.

Perhaps I am getting old and my ears are failing me, but I can't tell what noise exactly you are talking about?

Can you describe what kind of sound it is?

It's a rattle kind of noise from the engine but I don't really know what it is because I don't know much about cars to be honest.

I agree that it sounds normal to me?

There is a slight noise at around 13 seconds that sounds strange, but I can't tell you if that is supposed to be there or not.

I would say more like 17s.. there is slight grinding noise. But as you Shahpor it is not something unexpected or extremely evident. My best guess woudl be tensioner or radiator ventilator bearings... some other bearings... maybe nothing at all. I know that is vague, but that is the best I can guess from this video..

If it goes away and comes back, perhaps you can catch it on film when it does?  It would make identifying the noise much easier.

Also, is there a specific time when it does it?  Does it do it at idle, or when you rev it as well?  Does the sound increase in volume or tempo when engine speed increases?

Thanks for your feedback Linas.

If you hear when your next to the car it sounds like a like rattle kind of noise and it happens when while in stationery, I was wondering if the valves need adjusting

Hi shahpor,

It happens 80 percent of the times so it's really hard for me to get the normal sound in the recording. It happens in idle and sometimes when I rev some rattle noise is heard as well.

Tricky one.

A rattling noise when revved would indicate something like a timing chain, but that would be a rare occurrence.

Don't think it is valves, and they are not adjustable anyway.

You could try going to a dealer and asking one of the technician to have a listen?  My local dealer is pretty good in that regard and they would happily come take a quick look.

13 minutes ago, Nain said:

The sounds goes away at times but comes back so I'm confused, don't think it's the dual mass or something 

You contradicting yourself here. You said you don't know much about the cars, but you don't think it is DMF?!... and valves are like another completely random thing.

I would say for sure.. that is not valves, because IS has variable valve timing controlled by ECU.. which means it never needs adjusting.

As you said "while stationary", so I guess while "stationary and idle" ...  could that be just radiator fan kicking in? maybe fan bearing is gone or one of the wings cracked? Normally when you drive it rotates very slowly or not at all.  When you stuck in traffic if sometimes kicks in while stationary or if you stop your car when engine is still hot and keep it idling. 

I did go to one of the local technicians and I was told that it may be tappets.

And I don't know much about the cars, just guessing because I've been reading alot of forums and stuff

If that would be tappets .. it would be one more item to "million common issues with IS220d" book. Well or not that common, because I have never heard of IS220d tappers issue (yet).

What is the mileage? 

Yes, but local technician is not the same as a main dealer.  Might be worth taking it there.

As for tappets, does it do it specifically when it is hot or cold or both?

A worn tappet would be a constant noise.

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

If that would be tappets .. it would be one more item to "million common issues with IS220d" book. Well or not that common, because I have never heard of IS220d tappers issue (yet).

What is the mileage? 

Actually .. no. Regardless of mileage it is very unlikely to be tappets. Even if it is 300k miles. Unless somebody was fixing that engine and damaged them... but then you would have had that issue all along, not just recently...

I actually meant just dropping in and asking if one of the technician would be willing to come out and have a quick listen.

If they are in a generous mood that day, it shouldn't cost you anything.

Worst they can say is say no, so you have lost nothing in trying.

Whatever noise it is, it seems to be subtle enough that it is hard to detect on that video.  That means that we can't really help diagnose the problem without more info to go on.

2 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Linas, did you just contradict yourself? :laugh:

I am just lost with all IS220d issues. I don't know ... it is really the case of "anywhere in between engine rebuilt and nothing at all".. 

One moment I though ... maybe if it is 186k miles ... maybe it is worn out.. but then 2 minutes later .. I even if it is 300k it won't be the case.

Sorry for his accent ( I don't understand what he is talking either), but is that the sound you're describing?

The rattle sound is while the car is cold and hot and how much do the dealership cost lol

Just to listen to the sound I guess - "thank you"...