Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Very expensive when things go wrong and not the most reliable cars at all

Great build quality though and genuinely great ride. Just dont expect it to be reliable whatsoever and you should be OK

That will be a facelifted W220 model S-Class then with updated COMAND / Sat Nav and generally a better car than the <2003 models.

I would definately look into exactly which engine is in the car, if it is the M272 then it did have a reputation for being problematic until it was bored out to 3.7l a few years later. I have a feeling that this engine wasn't used until 2004/2005 (could be wrong) so it might not suffer from those issues.

Other than that check the suspension works correctly (you can raise it for speed bumps, sport and comfort) to make sure it works. If you can drive it take it up hills and feel for any vibration around the 1500/2000rpm mark as some models had torque converter issues (£1,000 ish to correct). I had an S320 (diesel) 2004 and it was pretty good.

Personally I wouldn't buy a <2003 model, it facelifted mid way through the 52 plate, but I would buy an 03 again even at this age.

I know these are dirty admission to make on such a forum but I've had a few S-Classes over the years:

2006 - 2008 ran a 2004 S320

2008 - 2013 ran a 2008 S320

2013 - 2015 ran 2013 S350

2015 - present I bought a new July 2015 S350 AMG Line last July and run it as my daily now

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links