Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2002 LS 430 on the original factory sat nav data. I know the answer is probably £175 at a Lexus dealer, but is there anyway of updating it more cheaply.

My £85 Gamin has free updates for life!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

I went with this outfit for £30. http://satnavdvd.co.uk

Took two days to arrive by normal post.

Like an idiot (and with no instructions) I thought it went through the stereo! You Tube had a Lexus video. I have since popped it into the SAT NAV box in the right of the boot and all seems well. It has updated OK. Will have to see how it performs. It is the 2012 version. Wish it was newer but it is not at Lexus prices.

The disc in the LS400 up to 2000 is a CD ,it was only when the Ls430 was introduced the disc became a DVD.

The updates for the LS400 were phased out in the early part of the century and were very limited due to the space on the CD.

• Like 1

On 26 July 2016 at 4:14 PM, MLW said:

UPDATE

I went with this outfit for £30. http://satnavdvd.co.uk

Took two days to arrive by normal post.

Like an idiot (and with no instructions) I thought it went through the stereo! You Tube had a Lexus video. I have since popped it into the SAT NAV box in the right of the boot and all seems well. It has updated OK. Will have to see how it performs. It is the 2012 version. Wish it was newer but it is not at Lexus prices.

I followed Michael's example and went for the same update disc for £30 and it loaded straight away when swallowed. Apparently it is sometimes necessary to disconnect the Battery

Not being nasty or funny about this but I'm asking a genuine question - why would anyone use a CD/DVD-based satnav over, say, a TomTom?

My 2005 RX300 has the factory-installed disc-based satnav but, even if I could get an up-to-date disc for it (which I don't believe you can), I would use my TomTom in preference to the built-in one. Why? Well, unless I'm mistaken, I'm almost sure that you can't integrate your own POIs with the disc-based systems, so why would you limit yourself like that?

One example is that we recently had our RX300 converted to LPG, so my TomTom has the location of every LPG/Autogas filling station in the country loaded as POIs. If I'm getting low on gas but not sure where I can fill up, all I have to do is to select 'Navigate to POI near you', select LPG as the POI and off you go.

Another example is that the TomTom will load things like the PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database and lots of other stuff, so why would you prefer to use the limited functionality of the integrated system over that?

• Like 1

John

I will try to answer your question,

if you have a 98 LS400 which had the first ever factory fitted satnav system in any motor car on the planet , if it works why would you have trailing wires and screens stuck to your windscreen ,plus the ladies voice on the system is real nice and posh.

...  I have no choice in mine ...  TomTom rules ok BUT I do wish the gender stuff would get right, being spoken to by a lady rather than " Tom "

Now, the Honda Legend, well, that has upgraded satnav ( it cost @ £200 ) and luckily the g/f will be using that coz I've grabbed the TomTom that I found brilliant touring Italy ( thru' France and Switzerland ) last year and Spain etc. the year prior

Malc

13 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Not being nasty or funny about this but I'm asking a genuine question - why would anyone use a CD/DVD-based satnav over, say, a TomTom?

My 2005 RX300 has the factory-installed disc-based satnav but, even if I could get an up-to-date disc for it (which I don't believe you can), I would use my TomTom in preference to the built-in one. Why? Well, unless I'm mistaken, I'm almost sure that you can't integrate your own POIs with the disc-based systems, so why would you limit yourself like that?

One example is that we recently had our RX300 converted to LPG, so my TomTom has the location of every LPG/Autogas filling station in the country loaded as POIs. If I'm getting low on gas but not sure where I can fill up, all I have to do is to select 'Navigate to POI near you', select LPG as the POI and off you go.

Another example is that the TomTom will load things like the PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database and lots of other stuff, so why would you prefer to use the limited functionality of the integrated system over that?

I'm with you John, fitted sat navs and their extortionate updates are a huge rip off, particularly when you see what tomtom can do, for a fraction of the price, including four free map updates a year.

The only plus point is that they are integrated, but even that is offset by being able to site a tomtom in a safer position, near your natural line of sight.

I agree with almost everyone. It is amazing that my very basic £85 Halfords Garmin had lifetime updates for Europe, gives great accuracy and is better in every respect from the onboard Lexus SatNav. The only reason to update it, is it is there and a backup. The lack of trailing wires is also  good.

Why Lexus do not telephone Garmin or TomTom and do a licensing agreement on a far superior product is one of life's mysteries.

Never use the car satnav.....it won't take full postcodes !  Can't be arsed reading about how it works.

I have Sygic on my phone and it is nearly faultless.....£18 one-off lifetime payment.

Surprised no mention of Waze in a topic regarding SatNav. Available from apple Store.

Google maps use the Waze traffic update service.

Pro's and Con's:

Free, community based, updated in real time by users. Breakdowns, police, speed cams,roadworks, delays etc. postcodes, POI's and extremely accurate speed sensor/warning. 

Battery hungry so needs plugging in. Data required. They keep changing the Celebrity voice. Still lamenting Elvis Uh huh huh!

On a trip to the Bush Inn, Ovington last Saturday night, Waze took me on a tortuous cross country route for some unknown reason. Thinking I knew better I chose the main roads outside Winchester for the return... Bam.. Straight into the Boom Town Festival traffic NO! Should've listened!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links